Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:59 AM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)

I tried the RCBS scale back a couple of years ago, and it was the worst set of scales I ever used. Would not repeat weight at all. I thought for the price it would be awesome, but the one I had was a piece of junk. Sorry, but it was. I trickle in my last few granules of powder, and when doing so, I would get it to zero, then remove the pan, then place the pan back on and it would always measure heavier than the first time. I took it back where I bought it the next day.

My Dad had an old set of Lyman scales which I have now, which are also Ohaus, and they repeat well, but not as good as my Dillon scales.

Whether your a beginner or not, if you are reloading, you are better to get a good set the first time and be done with it. The same thing with the powder measure. I also use the Redding 3BR powder measure, and a Redding trickler.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:00 AM
Onearm

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDWinCO View Post
Congratulations?

The OP was looking for a basic scale as he was beginning to reload for his hornet. I do not think a learned diatribe on the various scales was warranted other than to satisfy someone's ego.

And with that, enjoy your basement time oh great pontificator of all things of powder and brass.
Sometimes, a warning about tools that failed to work as needed is as valuable as a report from a satisfied customer. I think the general consensus is that one of the inexpensive RCBS beam balance scales will, "consistently measure 1/10 grain without breaking the bank." Anyone can say some tool is great but descriptions of real world experiences with different tools is evidence, rather than just opinions.

Because his original statement alluded to the possibility of buying something other than a mechanical beam balance, some of us warned him away from inexpensive electronic scales that fail to, "consistently measure 1/10 grain."

I have had great success with a powder measure and saw it fit his open ended statement of, "I prefer mechanical, but open to anything." So, I described my experience with a Redding 3 BR powder measure, as an alternative to a scale.

Finally, I gave evidence for the ability to get excellent results with relatively inexpensive RCBS loading gear when loading for a small bore centerfire rifle. I think that was what he was hoping to learn.

Last edited by Onearm; 02-28-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:15 AM
fataboo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Powder Scale for Hornet

I guess it's time to put my $.02 in. I am retired, during my working life everything was HURRY. Ben there done that. Now I like everything one at a time. Single stage press ( Rock Chucker) RCBS 10/10 and trickler. Did you notice green is the main color., and this is why. Some thirty years before my 505 scale failed I bought everything I needed to reload used for $75.00. Then it happened the scale failed, I contacted RCBS told them what happened, they advised me to send it back to them they would take care of it. Much to my surprise the scale came back wearing the number 10/10 no charge, not even a shipping fee. Everthing on my loading bench says RCBS can you guess WHY. All their equipment fits my style, and another satisfied customer.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
I tried the RCBS scale back a couple of years ago, and it was the worst set of scales I ever used. Would not repeat weight at all. I thought for the price it would be awesome, but the one I had was a piece of junk. Sorry, but it was. I trickle in my last few granules of powder, and when doing so, I would get it to zero, then remove the pan, then place the pan back on and it would always measure heavier than the first time. I took it back where I bought it the next day.

My Dad had an old set of Lyman scales which I have now, which are also Ohaus, and they repeat well, but not as good as my Dillon scales.

Whether your a beginner or not, if you are reloading, you are better to get a good set the first time and be done with it. The same thing with the powder measure. I also use the Redding 3BR powder measure, and a Redding trickler.
The RCBS IS an Ohaus scale

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instru...structions.pdf

I also use Redding powder measure and trickler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk

Last edited by Vincent; 02-28-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:07 PM
Balvar24

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Read it a couple of times now. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:15 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
I know it is, but that model just did not repeat for me. I cannot say why, other than too many magnets for the dampening.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:25 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
I know it is, but that model just did not repeat for me. I cannot say why, other than too many magnets for the dampening.
It has generally been accepted as the best mechanical scale for over 40 years. Considered Lab Quality.

If you had problems with yours you should have sent it back. Both Ohaus and RCBS have great reputations for Customer Service. I am NOT a big RCBS fan as far as most of their equipment as I like Forster (Bonanza when I was buying the press and dies) and Redding.

Mine never moves once set..

Old 02-28-2015, 07:28 PM
mikeinco2014

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
so how many of you the told him to buy rcbs..have ever used the lee safety scale ??

he is a beginner and it is an excellent scale for a beginner and does not cost an arm and a leg( to a beginner)
cost of some of the recommended scales:

RCBS 505 80 at midway/67 on amazon

RCBS 10-10 193 retail/ 163 on amazon

redding 3 in pistol 133/in rifle 162 midway

redding br30- $192

and the cost of a lee safety scale from midway........................................
......................$25......................... .................................................. .........
your recommendations do not fit "beginner" in my book.....name snobs.

lee makes several items that are worth every penny and some that are not.
their entry scale and powder measure work very well.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
(ahem) Yes I have used the Lee scale, and then tossed it in the fire. Lee does make some very good products that can work, but that scale, no.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:16 PM
mikeinco2014

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
does not match my experience.
did you drop it at some time , did you buy it new..
if new and it did not work why not return and ask for repair or replacement.
again it does not match my experience..
i do not throw things away that i spent hard earned money on...something does not sit well with your "i threw it in the fire"

but heck its your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDWinCO View Post
(ahem) Yes I have used the Lee scale, and then tossed it in the fire. Lee does make some very good products that can work, but that scale, no.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:18 PM
mikeinco2014

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
your trickle up was the source of your error , not the scale...go read my post on scale class...magnetic dampening...

Quote:
Old 03-01-2015, 07:41 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinco2014 View Post
does not match my experience. What a surprise.
did you drop it at some time , did you buy it new..Really? obviously used it for hacky sack practice after finding it in the trash
if new and it did not work why not return and ask for repair or replacement. Metaphors are a problem with you? It went into my trade goods, just so you can feel better.
again it does not match my experience. What these discussions are about, sharing of different experiences.
i do not throw things away that i spent hard earned money on...something does not sit well with your "i threw it in the fire" Pardon me, your Lordship, did not plan on giving you indigestion.

but heck its your money. Yep, and way past the 21 mark, hint.
Keep in mind there grasshopper, 7 billion humans on this earth and here is the shocker - they probably all have a different goals, experiences and views of things than yourself.

Rock on.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:58 AM
Balvar24

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Guess I should have clarified. I have a Lee scale. I don't care for it.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
so how many of you the told him to buy rcbs..have ever used the lee safety scale ??

he is a beginner and it is an excellent scale for a beginner and does not cost an arm and a leg( to a beginner)
cost of some of the recommended scales:

RCBS 505 80 at midway/67 on amazon

RCBS 10-10 193 retail/ 163 on amazon

redding 3 in pistol 133/in rifle 162 midway

redding br30- $192

and the cost of a lee safety scale from midway........................................
......................$25......................... .................................................. .........

I HAVE owned a LEE and it was cheap. I do not mean inexpensive I mean CHEAP.

I have used them and they were not something I would want to use to load a Hornet where you need maximum Scale accuracy because a tenth of a grain means something. If he was loading 30-06 I MIGHT recommend the LEE but he is loading a Hornet and powder weight is critical.

I gave my LEE away to someone loading .308s.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:51 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

I for one have several different brands of reloading equipment. I have been reloading for many years and have found the old saying of "you get what you pay" is pretty much true in most cases. There is usually a reason why something falls a lot lower in price than supposed similar items. For the most part a person will pay for quality and name brand. You mentioned "lee makes several items that are worth every penny and some that are not" which I believe is a true statement. You also stated "he is a beginner and it is an excellent scale for a beginner and does not cost an arm and a leg( to a beginner) your recommendations do not fit "beginner" in my book.....name snobs". Some beginners do have a limited budget and can't go with the top dollar name brand equipment while others don't have to start with the so called entry level equipment. What we are trying to say there is better out there when it comes to scales. Your experience has been positive with the scale you got from Lee and some of us have not had that same experience and have given other opinions/options for him. Safety in reloading is necessary, we are just passing on our personal opinions on how to achieve it.