Decision Time. I need your expert opinions. - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:33 AM
fataboo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
MK Pistols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure how I missed that. I still vote for the MKII. I had a blued one that was a complete package, VERY few rounds fired, and I let it go when I decided to narrow my collection down to the SS models. I wish I had kept it now.
+1 for the MKII
Old 03-25-2014, 09:55 AM
erkman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Another vote for the MKII.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:49 AM
27 Beck

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
The OP asked this question in the MK II posting area. It is natural the MK III haters will vote for the MK II.

I have both a MKII and MKIII in the versions in question. It is just a preference. Can I vote for the MK III Hunter again?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Schnauzer
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have both, in my opinion the only real difference between the two (apart from one being a mkII and the other a III) is the sights.
Govt target has the adjustable notch and front blade sight pair, the Hunter has the adjustable V notch and florescent front "light pipe" style front sight.
If you've never used the Hunter style sight pair, they can have a little bit of a learning curve to get shooting in the target area. I had to switch to the more familiar notch blade on the hunter's rear aperture before I could get my hunter on point.

The other differences are well documented here between the two pistols but they really don't effect how you shoot the two guns more than the sight differences (IMHO). Of course, this doesn't apply to modified pistols with tuned sears, lightened triggers and the LCI's removed.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Bloodhound
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would grab the the MK II GVMT no questions asked. Hope you got a good deal on it...and we would love to see pics when you pick it up.

The other one will still be there waiting...get the coolest one first
Old 03-25-2014, 06:02 PM
arnoldr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
27Beck,
Fair enough. Are you suggesting I post the same question in the MK III forum ? I thought about that, but wouldn't want a redundant thread. I'm sure there's a lot of love also for the MK III, as they sems to be the most active forums (II and III I meant). I'm already looking for a Competition (MK II or III).

Bloodhound,
Will do post pics when I can. Saturday pick-up is not looking good at the moment, so it may have to wait a bit longer.

Schnauzer,
Most of my shooting are done indoors on paper. My aging eyes are giving fits now seeing the front site so I paint them orange or red. Hopefully the fiber-optic takes care of that. The v-notch is something new to me, so I'll learn it. All of my other pistols have adjustable notch rear and front blade sight pair
Old 03-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Buy the one they don't make anymore!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:50 PM
blueridgeranger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Government, hands down.
Yes, I am lucky enough to have both MK II'c and MK III's.
I much prefer the MK II's. thats just me.
all the best to all'
blueridgeranger
Old 03-25-2014, 07:00 PM
redworm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I would pick up the blued pistol take it home an enjoy.........S/S is a little more hardy an I would pick it up whenever possible........... Take the blue pistol an give it the care it needs.I'm jealous I've probably had a dozen Marks but no Gov. Models......Redworm
Old 03-25-2014, 07:38 PM
gdrew
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=27 Beck;4961916]The OP asked this question in the MK II posting area. It is natural the MK III haters will vote for the MK II.

Any gun is better than no gun. I don't think there are people who hate Mark-3's, but rather people who prefer something else over a Mark-3. This reminds me of a few debates in the Brno-CZ forum regarding Brno's vs CZ452's vs CZ455's. In my humble opinion, they are all great guns to somebody, while some will prefer one over another, we needn't get offended by their opinion. Sure it will take a while for the newer stuff to catch on (sometimes decades) but if its decent quality it will be raved about when the replacement line of products comes along, which gives us all something to complain about. A lot of people don't like change until we get an opportunity to understand and fall in love with it, then we rant about like we knew it all along. Many of us will be Mark-3 owners...when the Mark-4 comes along...
Old 03-25-2014, 08:38 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
If you are going to use optics the Hunter will not be as heavy and you may prefer the less barrel heavy handling characteristics. I have two hunters and both shoot good , one of them shoot excellent readily competing with many 22 rifles at 50 yards with a pistol scope in place.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:06 PM
arnoldr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
redworm,
Don't be jealous, there is still time. It's never too late to own one, if it's a really good one.

JStacy,
I'm not big on optics even with my aging eyes. I have a Bushnell Trophy red dot and just couldn't get used to it. I'll probably try one of those reflex scopes like the Mueller Quick Shot.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:45 AM
Jahoosafat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Go for the Govt. Mk 2. I have one and LOVE it!
Old 03-26-2014, 03:55 PM
erob3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Compared to your Browning the "out of the box" triggers on either of your Rugers will not be comparable. Don't get me wrong, I would take a Ruger over a Browning any day but the truth is the Browning trigger is nicer than a Ruger "out of the box." With that said you can install a VQ trigger set in either Ruger and then you're talkin'. At that point you may find you will sell your Brownings. Which Ruger to shoot first..... MKII Gov't. Hope that helps. Good Luck and enjoy.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:16 PM
arnoldr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
erob3,
I have no experience with Rugers (yet) but based on what I've read, you're statement is probably correct (OOTB triggers on the Brownings are better than the Rugers). I've also read that the Govt trigger is around 3-3.5 lbs, not ideal for a target pistol but still serviceable. I will shoot these Rugers first and then decide what 'mods' I would need to do. I'm aware of the Volq sear and trigger upgrade, and one of those bushings for the MK III (mag disconnect).
I doubt I will be selling any of my Brownings or Trailside for that matter. You can never have enough target pistols. If I can get the trigger on these Rugers to be similar to my BM Contour (with Heggis flip) or Intl Medalist or Challenger I, I will be a very happy camper.

arnoldr.