Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Squirrel502

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mdl 39HS age/value

I have my grandfathers old 39 that I am planning on never getting rid of, however I am curious as to the value and true age. Only real problem that it has that I am aware of is the fact that my great uncle drilled/tapped the side for a scope back in the 50's. Bore is good, although it has some very minor pitting that looks more like just carbon/leading that I cant scrub out.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 AM
Glock2240
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Glock2240
There are no records for year built, but the HS prefix would put it from 1932-38. The receivers were not assembled in numerical order, just which ever one was pulled out next, but I would guess it was assembled in the first year or two of production. As for as value, you say you are not going to sell and I don't blame you there, the extra none factory holes subtract drastically from the value. The toe of the butt stock appears to be missing and the case colors have long since disappeared. Giving what Marlins are bring in todays market, I would saw a price in the $600-700 range. Shoot it and enjoy.
Tim
Old 03-18-2014, 07:43 AM
vepr762

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
You appear to have a last year of production (1938) Model 39. The 2 identifiers are the Model 39A magazine tube assembly and the buttplate should have 7 rows, of 4 grooves.

You can shoot any modern 22 ammo you want since it has the improved "H"igh "S"peed bolt.

I agree, with Tim. It's in the $600 range based on the condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Squirrel502

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks for the information. as for the 39A tube extension, that is actually after the fact done by me. The original had been peened into place so many times that the metal was non existent causing the tube to just flop around. Since I couldn't find an original, went with the 39A version, as it fit both the dove tail and the tube.

Again, the rifle is a true family heirloom that based upon my fathers "personal" records has seen in excess of 100,000 rounds through his childhood, and can account for a significant decrease in both the bird, rabbit, and squirrel population in NE Pennsylvania.

That being said, while I absolutely love the current condition of the rifle and its age defining patina, would it hurt or help the value to have the side plate holes professionally filled or plugged?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:20 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll chip in with an opinion on the holes....I hate open screw holes on a gun. I would fill them or have them filled with the proper sized fill screws.

Just my opinion of course.

Oh, and nice old gun considering the family history and all.....
Old 03-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Obviously, the bad news is that the receiver was d&t'd for a scope. The good news, though, is that the tang was factory d&t'd for a tang sight. If you want to add one, call Marbles to get the correct part no. The early 39A's take a different one from the newer ones.

Nice rifle, BTW!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 AM
vepr762

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel502 View Post
thanks for the information. as for the 39A tube extension, that is actually after the fact done by me. The original had been peened into place so many times that the metal was non existent causing the tube to just flop around. Since I couldn't find an original, went with the 39A version, as it fit both the dove tail and the tube.

?
The original "old style" magazine assembly had the mag tube hanger dovetail just under the front sight. I don't see a dovetail there. Did you cut a new dovetail, for the mag tube hanger?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:01 PM
NVaVettes

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

FWIW:

I'm with Vepr762: it looks like a 1938 (the last year for the Model 39 which
is about the only Model 39 that can be dated to a specific year!)

Vepr's point is that even if you replaced the magazine tube and/or the mag tube retaining
ring, the dovetail mounting point on the barrel gives it away as a 1938
model year feature.

(Unless you went to the trouble of filling the old dovetail underneath and just
behind the front sight and cutting a new dovetail farther back. . . .
unlikely, but not impossible I guess.)

Also, I have noticed that the 1938 models (as judged by magazine tube style AND
dovetail location) 'typically' have HS serial numbers
in the 'lower end' of the serial number range as opposed to the 'upper end',
as though the first HS receivers made in 1932 didn't get used until the
end of the HS production run: first-into the bin, last-to-be-pulled-out?
(I have 'seen' maybe 6+ guns FS lately that ALL fit this pattern!)

Yours is even a lower serial number than my 1938!

Also, as Vepr has said, the butt plate probably has seven sets of 4 lines each
between the screws if its a 1938.

(Again, its possible that butt plates could have been swapped/replaced . . . )

Value? Your Grandfather's rifle? Cool beyond $$$.

Holes? Fill-em / plug-em but it won't hurt or help value as it will just hide, not undo.

(For better or worse, the $$$ value of these rifles is all in the condition of the original case-hardened
colors on the receiver. Then bluing, wood, and bore.)

In any event, you have probably the most classic lever-action 22 rifle of all time!

Enjoy!

(Nice socks. Look just like mine.)

Last edited by NVaVettes; 03-21-2014 at 10:55 PM.