Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-15-2021, 03:27 PM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Late Kimber 82A sporter

I have a question for you Kimber experts. I bought a Kimber 82A sporter that I believe is a later one. It has a bolt stop/release. It functions perfectly and shoots great but I hear the cocking screw/stud is prone to give trouble. I want to buy one or two for just in case and also while I can still get them. The question is does this rifle have a left or right hand cocking screw? I would take it out but I believe the allen wrench opening is stripped. At least I couldnt find one that wouldnt just spin in the hole. I don't want to take it out until necessary but would like to know which screw to buy. Serial number is in the 51,000 range. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a picture of the rifle from this mornings hunt:

Last edited by reb henderson; 06-15-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:19 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (273)
Reb, if you determine which cocking screw you have (left or right), I have an extra new one of the left version I'd be happy to send you. Beyond that, J&P (an RFC sponsor) has both types of cocking screws at $9.00 each*.

Doug

* https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/KIMBER-PARTS-c20995159
Old 06-15-2021, 06:48 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Looks a lot like an early one with the Bishop stock, as it has the bordered checkering and the step in front of the magazine. I haven't kept up with which had what threads and it's left my memory so Sage or some of the others will have to drop by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2021, 01:22 AM
VertFish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)
Reb, thatís a first year Bishop stock for sure with the trigger guard flute and the bordered checkering pattern. However, the serial number suggests a much later gun. Is there a bolt release on the left side of the receiver? Can you get a few pictures of the bolt and where the barrel meets the receiver? Is the barrel stamped Clackamas or Colton?
Old 06-16-2021, 09:02 AM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
If that’s a later A action in that early stock, there must have been some inletting done in the tang area in order for it to fit.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:31 AM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Vert the previous owner, probably the original owner, bought the rifle in November 1984. Here are a couple of pictures, albeit not very good ones:

Last edited by reb henderson; 06-16-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:06 PM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)
Reb, it is a later A action just as you surmised, but it is in the incorrect stock.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (273)
Still no answer on the left-hand or right-hand cocking screw though.

Doug
Old 06-16-2021, 03:44 PM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
If guesses are worth anything, I would guess left hand.
Vert, if that stock was changed they did a heck of a job making them standard because the fitting around the metal is perfect. I cant see any place where anything was inletted except by the factory. I knew it was an early Bishops stock when I bought it. I like them. Of the three kimber of oregon and one kimber of america made in oregon I have owned, this is the smoothest working and best shooting by far.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:12 PM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)
Yes Reb, that action would be a later left hand thread cocking stud that was introduced in April of 1982. I removed a hex-stripped stud once by soaking it in Kroil overnight and then alternating heat and cold with Kroil and a quality set of needle-nose Vise Grips. It was a hairy situation, but it worked.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:36 PM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Thanks Vert. You dont know where a left handed 82 I can get my hands on, do you?
Old 06-16-2021, 05:20 PM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I’d sure like to see a pic of the rear tang inletted into the wood. It’s entirely possible the factory set the barreled action into a leftover Bishop stock and specifically inletted it for that. The inletted stocks are not interchangeable without doing some work in the tang area. I have the reverse situation, a very early A specifically inletted into a Custom Classic B era stock.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (273)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb henderson View Post
Thanks Vert. You dont know where a left handed 82 I can get my hands on, do you?
Ahem, Reb. Please note post #2 above.

Doug
Old 06-16-2021, 07:42 PM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb henderson View Post
Iíll keep my eyes out for you. I only have one Classic LH. I have tried to buy several LH Custom Classics over the years and the price just got too high for a guy that shoots right and just wanted one is his collection. The lefties always bid them up because the choice of fine LH bolt guns is kinda slim. Luckily, I know a guy that just might know a guy. I wonít be able to make the Shawnee this year because it is the week before I leave for The Bass Federation National Semi-Finals on the Mississippi. I will miss you guys.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:04 PM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertFish View Post
I’ll keep my eyes out for you. I only have one Classic LH. I have tried to buy several LH Custom Classics over the years and the price just got too high for a guy that shoots right and just wanted one is his collection. The lefties always bid them up because the choice of fine LH bolt guns is kinda slim. Luckily, I know a guy that just might know a guy. I won’t be able to make the Shawnee this year because it is the week before I leave for The Bass Federation National Semi-Finals on the Mississippi. I will miss you guys.
Let me know about that Lefty. I better start a penny jar. Sure hate you cant make Shawnee. How about TGilmer and Gunther? We would be happy to see them. Also Sagerat. Would love to see him again.

Last edited by reb henderson; 06-16-2021 at 10:02 PM.