Just how lucky can ya get? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:57 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)

Wife and I were deer hunting down a cottonwood draw one time, sneakin' and peekin' through the trees, wife let out a yelp, turned out a big ol' owl had taken a dump right on her head and shoulder. Heck of a mess, lots and lots of owl matter. She was somewhat put out, but laughed about it later.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:36 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (274)
I hope you didn't owl with laughter!

Doug
Old 06-15-2021, 06:48 PM
Etpm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zingbee View Post
You say 10 or 12 acres. Does it change with the tide?
Our place is inland, so the tides don't really have much effect. We're also about 500 feet above sea level so there is that too. Because Whidbey Island was platted out long ago property lines can be, well, fluid. Sometimes. It turns out our southern property line was not reported to the county properly somehow, and then the county made a paved road along this property line. Then our across the street neighbors had their land surveyed. The upshot being that we gained two acres. However, I don't know for sure if the northern property line is correct. I suspect it is in the correct place because 4 properties, not counting mine, all depend on this line being correct. And it has been surveyed. But it could be wrong. Hence 10 or 12. The county told me I was welcome to have my chunk surveyed and if it turned out I had 2 more acres then they would tax me accordingly. I passed on the offer.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:15 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I see a few owls around here, never gave a hoot about it.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Do see a few owls around, but hear more than see, they're not going to show during daylight hours around here. Plenty of crows around, some were walking around behind the barn when I got home this afternoon. Creep out the door with a gun and they magically teleport away.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:30 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Alabama View Post
I see a few owls around here, never gave a hoot about it.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Just had to crow about it eh?
Old 06-16-2021, 08:40 AM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etpm View Post
Here's the Barred Owl. I was no farther than 10 feet away when I took this. Frank kindly re-sized and cropped this photo for me.
Eric
That's a beauty Eric! We get barn owls where I live but great horned owls are more common. Fun to watch blue jays harrying them when they get too close to their nest.

I've also seen burrowing owls living in prairie dog towns. Owls are very interesting birds!

Frank
Old 06-16-2021, 04:36 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I've only got an acre and a half but I'm rural, and have the owls and hawks and foxes and turkey and deer and quail...

My mom has 5.5 acres in the middle of town but it has a pond out front and is surrounded by woods with a creek. She doesn't get the quail or turkey, but has everything else, plus add ospreys, kingfishers, multiple mating pairs of swallowtail kites, and a den w/ fox pups.

The college campus I'm on has lots of hawks around all the time, but what freaks out the students is when the peacocks take a walk over from the teaching zoo we have on campus. That and when the zoo uses mortar style fireworks to chase off buzzards (we have a large colony of them that hang around campus)