Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:08 PM
fastguns45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Springfield xdm2

I have shot most of the options suggested here and many are really good. I would suggest you take a look at the springfield xdm2. Similar to the glock but i find the grip fit and angle more pleasing. Not to knock the glock but i know of 2 discharge incidents both police officers. One where his drawstring from his windbreaker found its way downinside the holster and when pulled created a discharge intonhis upper thigh. I really find comfort with the extra grip safety the springfield has much like the old 1911 and thats a big plus when carrying especially unholstered or when you might unholsternthe gun for storage for circumstances where you cant take it inside and might unholster rather than removing a belt ect to dis arm.
Over the years i have carried many guns and all were good options in my opinion based on the circumstances at the time...my thoughts on them for perspective. ALL 1911 STYLES CARRIED ON EMPTY CHAMBERS UNLESS I WAS IN AN UNCOMFORTABLE LOCATION.
Naa 22mag almost always in my pocket great to 5 yards. 7 is really pushing...the gun to carry when you cant...
Ruger lc9 good gun but limited in some ways trigger is LONG but a good carry gun. Not much else. 7 to 10 yards max due to trigger pull.
STI international high cap 45acp 1911 style gun love it but too big for many places and too expensive to,leave in the truck. Really more of a comp gun but again... love it
Several old model mini 1911 colt mustangs/mustangIIs loved them but figured i might as well carry a 9mm.
Several 357/38 special revolvers. Good and reliable choices...but everyone wants an autoloader it seems...even me mostly. Love the shoulder holster carry style in the cooler months.
Sig 1911 45acp great gun but heavy. More a truck gun. Too many sharp edges to hang and slow your draw when not holstered...and 1911 holsters dont always work on the big slide.
Springfield xdm2 9mm. Accurate safe design with a good consistant trigger
Ruger dc9 ugly cheap amazingly reliable and reasonably accurate. A good tool but nothing more.
Cz75 9mm another great gun but HEAVY and im a down sweep safety guy really.
STAR 40 cal. Ok gun but heavy and rusted too easy...
Smith and wesson model 4506 full size and was a little too big for comfort plus the safety went the wrong way....i learned on a 1911 when i was young and sweep down on draw is muscle memory.
My 2 cents hopemit provides some food for thought .... remember its kinda a blonde brunette or redheads thing... all can be good choices....but some like one over the other...or something like that....lol
Old 12-27-2020, 12:13 PM
CD2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Carry a 1911 w an empty chamber?

Never.

When I carry my HK hammer gun it has one up the pipe too.
OWB holsters.

If your gun aint ready, then you aint either, and shouldn't be walking around w the dang thing IMHO.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:53 PM
noelekal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Carrying a 1911 for serial social purposes without one in the chamber is for someone else to do. I carry 1911s on occasion and there's always one up the pipe.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:14 PM
GuitarmanNick
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glock 26 fits my hand better than the 43 and is still quite concealable. Simple is the definition of a Glock which is why they are reliable.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:17 PM
miker22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HK p7
Old 06-14-2021, 10:16 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
Picking up a Glock 48 this week. Got it on the Blue label program for a great price. Hope to get out before the weekend and run it a bit. Have not had a 9mm since my 1911 combat commander and I always enjoyed shooting it.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pardini GT -9
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-15-2021, 06:43 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cottrell View Post
Picking up a Glock 48 this week. Got it on the Blue label program for a great price. Hope to get out before the weekend and run it a bit. Have not had a 9mm since my 1911 combat commander and I always enjoyed shooting it.
Have the whole family, 43, 43x, 48, like them... all light and handy and not hard to shoot. That said I picked up a Taurus G3c recently for just under 3 bills and it's doing well...something for the budget minded to look at.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:19 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gerald, have you any familiarity with the G-44. .22? I was interested but all I have read it seems to be very problematic.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:03 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Yes James, I've owned a G44 since very shortly after they came out, personally I've had no problems with mine with either subsonic or HV ammo. If you load them by the recommended method I don't think there is a problem with them. Unless of course you're a sponsored shooter for someone else. That's where the BS started as near as I can tell.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:33 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Echoing Gerald's comments James. A fun little pistol that has given me a lot of pleasure and zero grief. Use the forum search function with keywords "Glock G44." Many many more positive reviews than negative.

Frank
Old 06-16-2021, 09:39 AM
James Cottrell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, lots of bad info on line I guess. Have to sift through it all.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:44 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
There were some early magazine issues that Glock sorted fairly quickly James. If you like Glocks I can pretty much guarantee you'll like the G44

Frank
Old 06-16-2021, 09:53 AM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
There were some early magazine issues that Glock sorted fairly quickly James. If you like Glocks I can pretty much guarantee you'll like the G44

Frank
The magazine issues mostly came from folks refusing to follow instructions and others who felt if instructions were needed then something was wrong. Me, I follow instructions when it makes something work properly, well usually anyway.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:48 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've owned a huge wad of 9mms over the years, some were great, some "not so much". My favorites are the Browning HiPower, the CZ-75, and any brand of 1911. That doesn't help you much, of course.
I DO have an M&P 9mm full-sized gun that feels pretty good, despite the staplegun trigger. I previously had a Glock 19 that never did fit my hand right, though I shot it fairly well. I reviled that horrible Glock trigger (yes, I know they have improved over the years), and the 19 never pointed well for me, either. I can shoot the M&P, though it's not much better than the Glock, at least it points better for me. Like others here, it's a police dept. trade-in, and I got it for a decent price, but it does not enthrall me.
The latest 9mm I've bought was a full sized Springfield Range Officer, the 5" target-sighted gun, and it's a hoot to shoot. Not as much fun as my old Colt .38 Super, but pretty nice, anyway. I sure wouldn't want to carry the thing very far, though.
All in all, I wish I'd kept my old HiPower, though I shot the poor thing into a rattlin' wreck, it was customized, mostly by me, and it shot wonderfully well.