Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:02 PM
doug57
Emergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Thanks Al, God gifted me with him in 2011, on the 100th anniversary of John Brownings masterpiece. Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2021, 05:04 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug57 View Post

I use the 10MM for deer and hogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice Buck, I've got my G40 MOS set up for hunting, just need time and opportunity.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:06 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
Nice Gerald.

I recently picked up a Pony branded SS competition series in 9 mm. Something addictive about the 1911 platform.
Yeah, with all my Glocks, CZ's and several others brands there is still something about a 1911...
Old 06-08-2021, 06:54 PM
redz
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got several 1911s. These are my two favorites.

Colt Special Combat with Esmeralda Cocobolo grips

Nighthawk Custom T3 with Esmeralda Cocobolo grips

Last edited by redz; 06-08-2021 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:57 PM
redz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On a side note , my first 1911 came from Fuquay Guns . Colt XSE
Old 06-08-2021, 07:12 PM
randyman_ar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Congrats on your purchase Gerald. In my humble opinion...the most classic pistol ever designed.... next to the Colt SAA of course. I currently have DW Valor, Springfield Stainless Loaded gifted from my Dad and CZ 1911A...which I absolutely love. Monday saw the arrival of ... The Guns of John Moses Browning...1st addition hardback .. .next on reading list!
Old 06-08-2021, 07:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some don't believe that 9 mm and the 1911 platform belong together, but I really like it. Mine is 5 inch stainless steel target sights and shoots like a dream.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:45 PM
randyman_ar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
Some don't believe that 9 mm and the 1911 platform belong together, but I really like it. Mine is 5 inch stainless steel target sights and shoots like a dream.
Due to Dad's 83 yr old arthritic hands....that's the only caliber 1911 he owns or shoots now.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:26 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Several years ago I picked up a Dan Wesson Guardian in .45acp, two Sig 1911's hit the trail shortly there after, then a Remington R1 Stainless .45 priced well below average for my area joined the herd. A bit later a Ruger 1911 Two tone light weight Commander in 9mm on sale moved in, the Remington got a little custom attention but is proving to be a good shooter, the Dan Wesson is just outstanding. The Ruger runs great out of the box. So today at Fuquay Guns and Gold they had a couple of Vigil 9mm's priced a good bit under what I've seen else where also had one As NIB on hand. Asked about the used one and they would only come off $50 from the new ones so looked over the grips and home one came.

Need to have a 1911 day at the range, the other three are shooter and knowing Dan Wesson this one will be too.

VERY NICE!!!!

A 1911 has been on my bucket list for 30 years now. I actually ordered a Kimber Warrior in black on Gun Broker two years ago, and got scammed out of $950 when it turned out that the seller was actually a hacker who had pulled identity theft on a reputable vendor on GB & scammed myself as well as several others in a very high tech scheme. I had even gone so far as to have a local LEO friend check the guy out before buying, unfortunately the person he was checking had a spotless record, but that person was hacked and his Bank account rerouted and bounced over seven servers at minimum before investigators lost track. That was my budget for that year, so I never did actually pick one up yet. Someday!

Very nice acquisition, Gerald.

Congratulations!!!

DrGunner
Old 06-09-2021, 05:59 AM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
The Dan Wesson's have a rep for being "near" custom grade, I'm not a connoisseur by any standards but I've shot several "higher end" 1911's that my poor abilities could not see a real improvement in. We had a steel silhouette at the club with a flipper plate for 5x and even at 20 yards I could repeatedly knock it back and forth. So I'm sure better 1911's are out there, I'm just not good enough to need one of them. Fortunate that there are 2 Dan Wesson dealers near by as well so I can handle them and in this case choose between four "identical" Vigil's.

Vigil's older brother...The Guardian in .45acp

Old 06-09-2021, 06:28 AM
redz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice Dan Wessons. They are widely considered the best non custom 1911 out there by many people. I happen to agree with them. I have two DW s, a Valkyrie and a V Bob. The Valkyrie is not in production in longer, but a great 1911 for carry.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:43 AM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
The Guardian was discontinued in 2019 as well, it's a great carry gun too.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:45 AM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm at five 1911s right now, three .45s (Colt CCS, Ruger Target, and an RIA) a 10mm (6" RIA single stack), and as of two weeks ago, a Springfield RO in 9mm. These replace a raft of Colts I had in the waybackwhens and sold off to feed a prairie dog habit several years ago. I'm pretty happy with them, as is, but I think some minor tweaking is going to be requred now that I'm older and my hands seem to like short triggers better than the long ones I have in the guns now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1666.JPG (129.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg PI9129LP_1.jpg (264.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-09-2021, 08:07 AM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Nice thing about 1911's is they have options, you can tailor them to your preferences.

My other two 1911's

Ruger Commander 9mm, sweet shooter right out of the box, first full qualifying run pictured as well, with Federal 147hp's

Remington R1 Stainless 45, had a beaver tail grip safety and ambi thumb safety installed with a little slicking up and it's a nice shooter now too.

Not as accurate as the Dan Wesson or Ruger 9mm but a good shooter.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:32 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are certainly no shortage of 1911 pistols to choose from. I think Springfield Range Officer is my first choice for accuracy and quality for the buck. I got two and one needed a breakin. It was that tight. They can group 5 shots in an inch at 25 yards with a hand held (not machine) rest. Both of them. I am sure a guy with a Dan Wesson is more than squared away in this dept. I offer this for others reading.

I would like to try a Rock Island sometime. They seem a good value for a basic gun. A solid, nothing fancy, 1911. I dont mean literally a 1911 vs 1911A1, vs Series xyz. I dont think anyone makes an exact 100% clone of either military issue 1911s. SA had one for a while, then they 'improved' it. Colt did two, for the wealthy collectors. The RI interest me, if things ever get back to normal

There is also a 1911 from Turkey. Might be worth a look as a close to issue, 1911. No opinion to offer.

I found the Ruger as a basic 1911 was fine, but; the match grade gun is a bit too loose. Not mine, I dont have one. Nice thing about a proper 1911, is they can be upgraded. I am sure the Ruger would benefit from a true match barrel and bushing. The slide is probably good enough with a 2nd order impact. Might be a good place to start? I would go with an SA in this slot

I have an STI Target Master which is an amazing gun, but; you pay for that. They did away with the barrel bushing, so; not a pure 1911. The STI line is ever evolving. No idea where they are today. I am unable to measure any accuracy advantage over the SA. Better over all finish, trigger and sights. And for the right person, they might even test fire better.

Did SIG changed the extractor to external? Not a real 1911. SIG has a great reputation. Remington and sadly even Ruger requires a little more risk taking. I hate to say this. I can go to the Phillipines for a better made gun for less money.

I hope this is helpful. I am not trying to show off or pick a fight. My 2c and nothing more.

Last edited by fourbore; 06-09-2021 at 08:34 AM.