am I wasting my time -- accuracy with takedown - Page 10 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:49 PM
linux_author
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
That's phenomenal accuracy for a TD, congrats! Have any pics of those targets?
here's mine (right after scope re-attachment and reassembly; i make sure to cycle the bolt a few times and pay attention to proper tension):

Old 02-22-2021, 11:22 AM
Bliksem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very interesting thread. I have a base model stainless steel take-down fitted with an AT3 red dot (2 MOA dot similar to Bushnell). In my case my eye sight and lack of magnification is the limiting factor for accuracy. The 10-22 take-down is not a target rifle and I got it for plinking mostly given the convenient packing size.

I can get 1 inch groups at 25 yards, even then my eye sight is the limit with the red dot to get things tighter. I just use CCI mini-mag, Federal Range HV, Remington Golden bullet, etc. Nothing fancy. The Federal seem to be the most consistent and the GB the least.

If I don't adjust the tension ring on the take-down I don't really notice a shift in POI after putting it back together (maybe 1/4" at 50 yds). Given the ammo I use and my setup any shift is not noticeable to me.

At 50 yds things get challenging with the red dot, and target color is the big determining factor. But in general still good for 2-3" groups if I take a bit of time. 100 yds is a crap shoot with my eyes and the lack of magnification - I typically aim 6" high with HV ammo (zero at 25 & 50 yds with HV) and most rounds will be in a 6-8" group - this is more of a setup and my capability with no magnification rather than rifle.

Reality is that mostly use it up to 50 yds max anyway, and typically in the 15-30 yd range, where is it more than accurate enough for offhand plinking, etc.

Will see if I'm able to upload some images later.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:34 AM
Bliksem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Federal Bulk HV 40gr 10 shot group at 25 yds

CCI 40gr Mini-mag 5 shot group at 25 yds

100 yds with GB, CCI Mini Mag 40gr, Norma TAC SV (dropped a bit low and left).
Ignore the four corners apart from the bottom right, used its or eating at 50 yds with different ammo. Some of the top left shots in the bottom right quadrant where from 100yds. I was aiming center top on target for the drop at 100yds. The poor grouping is more my eyes with a red dot and no magnification at 100yds. Pretty sure with a scope I would be able to get at least a 4" grouping at 100 yds. There was also a breeze from the left - explaining the drift to the right a bit.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:30 AM
nfmMike
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought my Backpacker for it's implied purpose, something to easily always have hidden and accessible - and to plink at the range with. I have found that the stock Hiviz sights are perfect for my needs within 50 yards. Purpose acquisition, fills that purpose very well. And, it's a hoot to shoot!

If I need a serious day of timed, accurate fire, I'll take a CZ Trainer that just recently followed me home, or a Marlin 25N that I have scoped and zeroed for max efficiency.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:35 PM
KRD
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I purchased a Take Down a few months ago and replaced the hammer and extractor with Volquartsens.
Then put on skinner sights and a bug buster scope.

The accuracy is very good with both open sights and of course with the scope at 50 yards.
The other day, I was shooting the rifle and decided to shoot at my steel gong target at 200 yards using of all things, Remington bucket o bullets.

In spite of a fairly strong cross wind, I hit the gong 7 out of 10 shots.

So, in my opinion, I think that the take down is a very competent plinker.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:34 PM
LateStart

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After trying all sorts of modifications to a TD Lite one simple thing made it a MOA shooter, how I supported the rifle. Resting or holding the rifle at the take-down point works wonders. Avoid anything that puts stress on the connection, support both sides equally. So don't free-float the barrel, use a bipod, or any type rest towards the end of the barrel. Also, I found out as many others have as well, making the connection just a bit more snug than recommended helps. The black plastic stock is ugly as can be and I would love to replace it with something wood, but it holds the barrel snugly and I think this particular rifle likes that.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:28 AM
Mdeaner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My takedown shot poorly and it took quit a bit of aftermarket parts to get it to shoot. Typical 50 yard groups were 1.5" with Eley match, 2" with CCI SV, worse with everything else.

I added a volquartsen barrel with cantilever scope mount and this helped immensely. Also installed Kidd 2 stage trigger set at 1 lb, magpul hunter stock, Leupold QRW rings, and Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 scope. It will shoot under 1/2" regularly now.
Old 05-29-2021, 01:29 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdeaner View Post
My takedown shot poorly and it took quit a bit of aftermarket parts to get it to shoot. Typical 50 yard groups were 1.5" with Eley match, 2" with CCI SV, worse with everything else.

I added a volquartsen barrel with cantilever scope mount and this helped immensely. Also installed Kidd 2 stage trigger set at 1 lb, magpul hunter stock, Leupold QRW rings, and Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 scope. It will shoot under 1/2" regularly now.
Old 05-29-2021, 01:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Though I am not really understanding what the point of this is..If you want a target/competition Rifle to shoot at the range..Buy one and take a Vehicle to the range..

I do not think what you seek is going to happen with a takedown Ruger..Your expectations just seem to high. Throw all the money you want at it..Still going to be a takedown Ruger..

That said the Marlin 39A would get you to the closest to your dream..Nothing exposed you have to worry about. Other than unless you have a older one..You have to keep the ejector safe from loss..Not a hard task..
Old 05-29-2021, 05:08 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post
Though I am not really understanding what the point of this is..If you want a target/competition Rifle to shoot at the range..Buy one and take a Vehicle to the range..

I do not think what you seek is going to happen with a takedown Ruger..Your expectations just seem to high. Throw all the money you want at it..Still going to be a takedown Ruger..

That said the Marlin 39A would get you to the closest to your dream..Nothing exposed you have to worry about. Other than unless you have a older one..You have to keep the ejector safe from loss..Not a hard task..
There ya go! After three years someone finally told the OP how to do it right!!
Old 05-29-2021, 10:17 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
don't know, but I got mine to shoot better by merely putting it in a different stock
Old 05-30-2021, 05:12 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
don't know, but I got mine to shoot better by merely putting it in a different stock
Ditto :bthumb Magpul Back packer stock.

Im still trying to get my pretty TD to shoot as good,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7CB8B8AE-6059-4E7E-81D8-C1CA31D4976E.jpg (506.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 1081C5CC-BE63-4FA5-A498-A8AC74E8E3A0.jpg (504.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-30-2021, 10:13 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzman View Post
As the owner of a TD, I say the short answer is yes, you're wasting your time. JMO

TRUTH here.

Sorry to the OP, but itís true based on everything Iíve read here over the last 10 years. No, Iíve never owned a TD. Never needed or wanted one. Iíve built MANY custom 10-22s and I personally would not waste my money trying to accurize a TD

DrGunner
Old 05-30-2021, 01:31 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
guess it all depends on the accuracy requirements...if you're wanting to shoot the heads off of fly's at 100yds, you will be disappointed with a TD....however, if you want something for hunting squirrels or rabbits at around 30yds while out camping, or to strap across the handlebars of the atv so you can go out and kill rats in the grain storage, a TD can do it all day...a TD is a working gun, that trades a bit of accuracy for the convenience of being easily transportable

I'm planning on building a custom TD barreled action for my mannlicher stock, I'll be using a TI 80% billet receiver (as soon as all the like colored parts are in stock at the same time), and I'm expecting it to deliver better accuracy than my Ruger TD just because the tolerances will be controlled better than the Ruger products...hopefully, it will be good enough for fly shooting when it's done
Old 05-30-2021, 02:40 PM
Trailboss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms0072 View Post
...if the end result would be a takedown rifle with acceptable accuracy.

So -- for those of you who shoot for accuracy alone, what kind of groups is the ruger 10/22 takedown with some reasonable upgrades capable of at 50yds given the right rest/shooter/ammo ?

Any help greatly appreciated
To the OP: Acceptable accuracy must be defined by each person as what is acceptable to one is unacceptable to another. Thus, you must establish what your goal is, then other shooters can give feedback as to whether they have achieved your goal or not.

The second question you pose is what groups others are getting. Many have responded with some achieving small groups, some larger ones. It really sounds like MOA is achievable but the cost varies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post

To Carbineone: You somehow have jumped to the conclusion that the OP wants a takedown that shoots like a target/competition rifle. Not sure how you arrived at this conclusion but I think you need to re-read the first post and give an answer that the OP is asking for. What size groups have you been able to achieve with your takedown. If you've had a takedown or currently own one, you probably can answer.