Talk to me about the NRA - Page 6 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 08:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

I wish there was a way to effectively support the NRA without supporting Wayne LaPierre's bad behavior and controlling grip on the organization. I can say all day long that I support the organization and not the man, but my words are secondary. As has been noted, we vote with our wallet, but because Mr. LaPierre effectively controls the NRA and its finances with an iron grip, I don't see how to separate one from the other when I send money. I feel like if I'm financially supporting the NRA, I'm financially supporting Wayne LaPierre and his bad behavior. To me, it's not a good enough answer to keep sending the NRA money that Mr. LaPierre may misappropriate while I wait, wish and hope for things to get better.

The current fiasco isn't some divide and conquer strategy plotted and perpetrated by the NRA's adversaries. Yes, this current mess collaterally benefits those adversaries, but that's the NRA's fault, not something to the credit of its adversaries. The order dismissing the bankruptcy explains that the NY AG's investigation wasn't about some political vendetta against firearms, it was about "widespread misuse of assets by the NRA’s executive vice president and his circle of insiders for their personal benefit." What's more, the NY AG didn't lead the charge in the bankruptcy court. Yes, the NYAG joined in the challenge to the bankruptcy petition, but the attack on this improper bankruptcy filing was started by one of the NRA's directors, followed by Ackerman McQueen, the NRA's marketing and public relations firm, and the NRA-ILA former director Chris Cox, and only then joined in by the NY AG.

The dismissal order discusses various inexcusable hijinks by Mr. LaPierre and his minions. He initiated the filing of the bankruptcy without ever consulting or even notifying the NRA board, its CFO, or its general counsel, none of whom knew about the decision to file bankruptcy until after the case was filed. The evidence at trial and the content of the dismissal order makes clear that Mr. LaPierre treats the NRA as though he owns it. If my answer to this situation has to be "just give the NRA more money and hope for the best", well then, I guess he does own it, because he'll continue to have his way with it, funded in part by me.

I truly admire the loyalty reflected in many posts in this thread, and I mean no offense, insult or disrespect, but I think that loyalty is misplaced. Loyalty is a two way street, and it seems to me Mr. LaPierre took a left turn off Loyalty Lane long ago. If we vote with our wallet, I believe Mr. LaPierre needs to understand he does not own my vote, and he will not get another cent of my money so long as he refuses to do the right things with it.

I also understand the commitment to not abandon the NRA, but I feel like the NRA has in some measure, abandoned me in favor of Wayne LaPierre and his inexcusable, self-serving behavior. I also disagree with the sentiment that all is lost and the anti-gun forces of the world will win unless I unwaveringly side with the NRA. On 2A issues, I always will, but this isn't a 2A issue. It's an issue about corrupt leadership that is ruining the organization. I will never side with or subsidize what results in protecting and perpetuating that corrupt leadership. Among other things, I've grown tired of having principled, friendly, smart 2A conversation and debate go completely south in an indefensible way, when his name comes up.

This is America, land of opportunity. If Wayne LaPierre wants to ruin the NRA, I believe somebody better will come along and seize the opportunity to step up and do a better job, perhaps through a better organization. I realize that person and organization have not yet come to the fore, but I don't believe they ever will if I don't make it clear that I'm done being cheated and short-changed by the ugly, bad faith behavior of the NRA's self-interested leadership.

Again, I don't mean to fault any of the loyal statements I've read in this thread by the good, loyal NRA members I know many of you are. Likely as anything else, you're just a better person than I am. That's not sarcasm, and I have no problem conceding it could be true. But I've had it with Mr. LaPierre's garbage. NRA, I'm voting with my wallet, and until you part ways with Wayne LaPierre, you have lost my vote!

Last edited by JEC; 05-12-2021 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:47 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Very well articulated explanation and stance- and I can’t argue with anything you said.

In fact, I’d LOVE to see your post turned into a PETITION, signed by hundreds if not thousands of good faith NRA members, and presented to the NRA in the form of an ultimatum.

It would be great if we could start a good faith list of donation commitments for the NRA, titled the “New Leadership Initiative”, to be dispensed to them IF and ONLY IF they replace Wayne LaPierre with someone with honor and integrity.

Am I being a naÔve idealist? Probably.

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 05-12-2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:59 PM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post

Very well articulated explanation and stance- and I can’t argue with anything you said.

In fact, I’d LOVE to see your post turned into a PETITION, signed by hundreds if not thousands of good faith NRA members, and presented to the NRA in the form of an ultimatum.

It would be great if we could start a good faith list of donation commitments for the NRA, titled the “New Leadership Initiative”, to be dispensed to them IF and ONLY IF they replace Wayne LaPierre with someone with honor and integrity.

I I being a naÔve idealist? Probably.

DrGunner
I would sign that petition.

Don't mistake my support of the NRA as support of the weasel LaPierre. I wanted him gone a loooooooong time ago.

R
Old 05-12-2021, 10:10 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Methinks Wayne will not hand over his reins as long as he controls the purse strings.

I would like to see, and sign, a petition to pull him and his ilk down from from the throne. Now is the time to act!
Old 05-13-2021, 04:11 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post

Very well articulated explanation and stance- and I canít argue with anything you said.
Hear, hear!

The only part not fully articulated is that it doesn't stop at him. The rest of his cronies have supported (and benefited from) this corruption.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:46 AM
Rhody

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
Hear, hear!

The only part not fully articulated is that it doesn't stop at him. The rest of his cronies have supported (and benefited from) this corruption.
We are in desperate need of a good old fashioned house cleaning!!!

Anybody familiar with how to start petitions? Getting one to every single gun forum, gun club, and gun group would turn up hundreds of thousands of signatures. That sure would rattle some cages!!!

R
Old 05-13-2021, 09:12 AM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
Hear, hear!

This. The entire board needs to be replaced with a smaller one that will pay attention to business. The present board was certainly complicit in the hijinks or at least had knowledge of what was going on but did nothing.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:10 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
A suggestion and two questions -

Suggestion: such a petition could be conveniently, very publicly, and therefore effectively, initiated and circulated by way of a new thread on this board with an OP that lays out the premise, commitment, and demand discussed here. Those wishing to sign on would have only to respond with a short joinder. It's not like identities or NRA membership would have to be verified the way legislative referendum petition signatures must be. This would essentially be an open letter to the NRA signed by rank and file members, former members, and prospective members who feel disenfranchised.

In my view current NRA membership should not be a requirement to sign on to such a petition/open letter. As an example, I let my NRA membership lapse for the reasons stated in my ranting post. If I were to rejoin just to hopefully better get the ear of the NRA powers that be, I feel like it would undercut everything I said in my post. Including former and prospective members along with current members will best let the NRA know what it stands to lose, has already lost, and what it will not gain because of the current situation. In short, I think such a petition/open letter should be open to all who are, or would be, NRA members but for the lack of change and action we're demanding.

Question 1; Would such a thread/petition/open letter violate any RFC rules?

Question 2: Are there any NRA formalities/bylaws that should be taken into account in drafting such a petition/open letter so as to maximize its effectiveness?

I think the foregoing could be an easy and effective way to go public and go loud. A member mutiny, of sorts, that could be exported to other online platforms, increase RFC membership by attracting those who want to sign the original petition, and generally provide the strength of numbers attendant to a unified voice and message.

Last edited by JEC; 05-13-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:22 AM
Rhody

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The only problem I see with an open type petition is that you would get a bazillion anti-gun, NRA hating people screaming for it to be outright abolished/"cancelled".

I do like the idea that potential members, as well as those former members who would rejoin if changes were made, be heard.

I think the only way that could be accomplished is if there were an an outreach of enormous magnitude to every gun forum, gun range, gun club and gun group to be asked to print out, sign and send something like your original post directly to the NRA offices. Maybe to one of those that are in agreement like the former ILA leader.

This could probably be done via e-mails too.

Just a thought.

R
Old 05-13-2021, 10:31 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Find out who within the NRA can help etc.

Find out who within the NRA wants the leadership ousted and find out if that person would be helped with our show of support for a change in leadership. David
Old 05-13-2021, 10:59 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
At least on RFC, I think there are ways to manage the risk Rhody describes. I'm not sure I agree that hordes of anti-gunners would join up just to sabotage the effort, but I think it's safe to say that at least some would consider it. Then there are the well-meaning and like-minded among us who couldn't resist going beyond a "me-too" joinder to add further commentary that would inadvertently splinter and dilute the unified voice such a petition strives to create.

One way to manage that risk might be to format the petition/open letter as a poll, with click-the-box choices along the lines of "I support the Initiative for NRA Leadership Change" . . . "I'm indifferent to this issue" . . . "I want to live in Wayne's World", with poll choices perhaps even split out to reflect current members', former members', and prospective members' numbers and views.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:26 AM
Wreagan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I for one would sign the letter / petition. I also would not have an issue listing my NRA ID number. What's the worst could happen? Cancel my membership and quit sending me mail asking for donations.

Last week I got mail from NRA - ILA asking for a donation. I marked the front "Please see other side". On the back I wrote a polite letter telling why I can't donate until changes are made. I also mentioned my extra funds are being directed to GOA & SAF.

WLR in E TN
Old 05-13-2021, 11:39 AM
JMKnowles
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm an NRA Patron Life Member.

I know that the NRA is the strongest advocate group we have to help protect our Second Amendment rights. I hate the fact that the leadership of the NRA is letting us all down by the current fiasco "they" have created.

Yes, there needs to be a purge of those causing these issues. I sure don't know who, or what that would entail, but I wish it would happen soon as possible.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:21 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are online sites for hosting petitions that would not require anyone to be a member here to vote/contribute/whatever.

The only drawback I anticipate is they are likely all run by a bunch of, well, those other types, and would shut it down because of the affiliation.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:34 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreagan View Post
I for one would sign the letter / petition. I also would not have an issue listing my NRA ID number. What's the worst could happen? Cancel my membership and quit sending me mail asking for donations.

WLR in E TN
^
Members have ID #s and it'd be the only way to keep the riff-raff out.