recommend - precision 22 lr less than $1000 out of the box - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Btdt, all you mentioned and more.
I aint a pro but I aint a hack.
Do all that and it still might be a glorified plinker/hunter and not a precision target rifle, depends upon your requirements. By then you are into the money-eating hole so deep that you wont ever get it out.
Yeah, any new purchase of even a well regarded for accuracy brand has some below average, even lemons. Spin the wheel.... But you dont really find 10/22's in the real-deal comps in spite of some folks building some above average rifles.
Buy a used Annie (or whatever). Play with it, see if it meets your requirements/expectations, if not you can likely sell it for what you bought in for, if you bought smart. They are a lot of us Oldsters now selling off nice, solid shooters because we are past our prime.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:09 PM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
yeah, I'm not tossing a lot of money into this 10-22.
I'll put a better scope on it, btw, I been reading about the Mueller that was suggested and pulled the trigger and ordered one for this gun.
Got tired of reading and looking around. Wait my %%%.... thats how patient I am. lol

Then I'll fiddle and clean up a few parts and shoot it to see how much if any it improved the gun. Might even toss a trigger in it.

I know a scope alone will help these eyes see better so that in itself will be an improvement.

I figure after I toss the scope on it, and tweek it at least I will know what improved.
After all it has to be the gun and it cant be me can it ?
Old 05-04-2021, 01:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Lol, Denial is Sooo Powerful
By all means, do something with the trigger! I did a drop in 'kit' which was not expensive and improved it A Lot. Made shooting the 10/22 much more enjoyable. Most of the time while shooting it I dont even think about about how the trigger is now, unlike before. But it is a 10/22....if I want snicky I'll shoot my vintage schuestzen rifle with dbl set triggers at ounces.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:56 PM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Lol, Denial is Sooo Powerful
By all means, do something with the trigger! I did a drop in 'kit' which was not expensive and improved it A Lot. Made shooting the 10/22 much more enjoyable. Most of the time while shooting it I dont even think about about how the trigger is now, unlike before. But it is a 10/22....if I want snicky I'll shoot my vintage schuestzen rifle with dbl set triggers at ounces.
I just ordered a Kidd trigger kit Thats it Im done... I swear.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:00 PM
mkprz
US Army Veteran Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfirerobbo View Post
Please move if I posted incorrectly. Long time lurker 1st post.
Looking for all you "experienced pros" for recommendations.

The 50yd rimfire challenge bug has hit me so now I need to get out my wallet

I have a Ruger 10-22 but dont think this will cut it. Or, maybe it will and I should just toss a good scope on it and start shooting.

Other than that I had a few in mind. Are these good shooters out of the box? Will they be any better than my 10-22 ?

CZ457
Ruger Precision
Savage B22

Thanks in advance
grab one of these Savage MKII FVXP
https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=29200

Replace stock with Boyds Pro Varmint, add decent glass with side focus and SK Standard [+] ammo.
You're welcome.
M
Old 05-04-2021, 05:50 PM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
yeah, Im still going to be looking for a bolt action rifle.

I mean I've seen so many in the around 500-1000 range it makes my head spin.
With so many available does one really shoot THAT much better than another ?

I aim all of them the same way.
A good trigger would be nice.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:27 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Rifle Basix Triggers for a CZ

Years ago I got Rifle Basix Triggers for my CZ 452 Lux and Ultra Lux and have been very happy with those. If you get a CZ and just get a terrific trigger on it you will be as competitive as almost every rifle out there. I shoot the 50 yard iron sight bench game here on RFC and use an old Savage/Anschutz 64 and that one shoots better than the previous Anschutz 54 rifles I had, and weighs a lot less too. So some of it is luck of the draw in what you get. Good ammo is a big help. And days without much wind.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:14 PM
660grizzlyguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
???

What is 50 yard rimfire challenge? Really need to know the game to make a sensible recommendation, Equipment rules and course of fire dictate what suitable rifle attributes are needed.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:18 PM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 660grizzlyguy View Post
What is 50 yard rimfire challenge? Really need to know the game to make a sensible recommendation, Equipment rules and course of fire dictate what suitable rifle attributes are needed.
Im not exactly sure of the correct name or technical term for it.

When I visited the gang at a club they called it rimfire challenge and they were at 50 yds set up on benches, setting up to punch dime size bullseyes. They also talked about varmint.

I would be a newbie at this type of shooting.
I can plink away at no certain distances all day long and hit a sheet of paper or steel, but getting setup to hit quarter or dime size bullseye at 50yds would be a challenge for me. : )
Old 05-04-2021, 10:17 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
OMG, someone listened to me

At least a little

I am now an ENABLER

Toomany22s says...

Have fun bob, thats what is all about
Old 05-05-2021, 06:25 AM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
50 yard iron sight benchrest on RFC

The link below will give you the introduction to the game and a few of my reports. That particular month is unusual in that I got to post a few times and almost no other posts are there. But explore other months if interested in this game. Benchrest with the A23/5 targets. The rifles use iron sights. Informal public range shooting, no wind flags etc., and we are often shooting better targets than others who use scope sighted rifles. Kind of fun and satisfying.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1217827
Old 05-05-2021, 07:18 AM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
OMG, someone listened to me

At least a little

I am now an ENABLER

Toomany22s says...

Have fun bob, thats what is all about

lol now if I cant get quarter size groups, I can blame 'that' guy on the internet..

I'm going to toss the scope on, put the Kidd trigger in, clean up the bolt and shoot it for what it is. (if I can find ammo)

Too many parts for these 10-22's, it gets confusing. I'm gonna just shoot the thing.

I'll still be searching for a bolt action
Old 05-05-2021, 07:20 AM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
The link below will give you the introduction to the game and a few of my reports. That particular month is unusual in that I got to post a few times and almost no other posts are there. But explore other months if interested in this game. Benchrest with the A23/5 targets. The rifles use iron sights. Informal public range shooting, no wind flags etc., and we are often shooting better targets than others who use scope sighted rifles. Kind of fun and satisfying.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1217827

Thank you for that info
Old 05-05-2021, 07:21 AM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSc View Post
Well, after reading these forums, facebook gun groups, and other gun groups it is pretty easy to come to the conclusion that all you need to do to make a 10-22 a great shooter is to replace the barrel, action, trigger, stock, and put a good scope on it..... piece of cake...
HAHA! That was my take, too! If the OP didn't already have a 10/22, I would never recommend that platform as a starting point.

While it's true that all factory rifles come out of the box as unknown performers, I also believe that the odds are good that a brand new CZ 457 will outshoot a freshly unboxed, unmodified 10/22. So, all things equal, the starting point with the CZ is likely to be a little farther down the road than with a 10/22, and probably the others he mentioned. A lot more if the CZ is an MTR, but now the $1k budget is going to be a challenge.

TooMany offered plenty of sound advice, and I won't argue with any of it. I'd only add that if it were me, I'd keep the 10/22 as a plinker, because they are so much fun to shoot, and use my thousand bucks to start fresh with a CZ.

Opinions are like a......armpits - we all have them, and they all stink!
Old 05-05-2021, 11:29 AM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfirerobbo View Post
lol now if I cant get quarter size groups, I can blame 'that' guy on the internet..

I'm going to toss the scope on, put the Kidd trigger in, clean up the bolt and shoot it for what it is. (if I can find ammo)

Too many parts for these 10-22's, it gets confusing. I'm gonna just shoot the thing.

I'll still be searching for a bolt action
I guess the question is- how much precision are you looking for? Competition level precision, or enough to shoot satisfying groups when informally or casually shooting paper?
There are lots of very good bolt actions that will fit into your budget for shooting very good groups for every budget. The CZ's certainly fit into that budget, as do the early Winchester 69's, 69A's, 75's (sporter and target), Remington teen rifles and the 581, 582, 541S, 541T, and others. Moving up the ladder closer to your limit is the Winchester 52R , the Lithgow 101A, Steyr Zephyr, Kimber 82, and a number of others...
If you're looking for competition level precision the sky is the limit, but $1K is just getting into the bottom of those rifles without any modifications...

Then there is the ammo thing, which can make or break the precision levels of most rifles...

Bob