recommend - precision 22 lr less than $1000 out of the box - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
recommend - precision 22 lr less than $1000 out of the box

Please move if I posted incorrectly. Long time lurker 1st post.
Looking for all you "experienced pros" for recommendations.

The 50yd rimfire challenge bug has hit me so now I need to get out my wallet

I have a Ruger 10-22 but dont think this will cut it. Or, maybe it will and I should just toss a good scope on it and start shooting.

Other than that I had a few in mind. Are these good shooters out of the box? Will they be any better than my 10-22 ?

CZ457
Ruger Precision
Savage B22

Thanks in advance
Old 05-03-2021, 07:59 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Lithgow 101A
Old 05-03-2021, 08:14 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
CZ 457, yes better.
Ruger precision, no , not better.
Savage B , maybe?

1/2 inch groups at 50 yards , the CZ and some CCI Sv , all day long.

The Ruger Precision comes with a 20 moa rail, youll be lucky if you can zero it at 50 yards. Plus as cool as it is, it has a several design flaws, that can make it a pia.

The Savage , yup, if you get a good barrel. Something happened with their barrel supplier and while you heard goods things in the past, not so much now.

The 1022, maybe , but most likely its going to need some tweaking, and some diy, or plug and play parts , or combination thereof.

$1000 , if I was spending it, Send the 1022 of to CPC , for the works, trigger, bolt and chamber cut, cleaning hole, and proper reassembly. $200 http://ct-precision.com/1022rework.html

Good glass , rail, and rings. $300. A Mueller 8 x 32 x 44, a vq rail , and tac vector rings

A front rest and a rear bag, $100 all you can get for this is a caldwell rock, but it works.

A better stock, maybe $100, if yoys is wood, use it it. If not a, hogue or a magpul will work great.

A brick or two of good ammo $200.Sk , Eley, Wolf, 40 grain lrn, SV.

And $100 in reserve, in case CPC says you need a new barrel, or something extra.
If you want a bull barrel , buy it before you send the gun off to CPC
This one is good
http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchan...egory_Code=R1A

Then buy a bolt from cpc.
And a trigger kit from kid, https://www.ebay.com/itm/29395692804...gAAOSwG-1Wxysh
Or VQ https://www.ebay.com/itm/22443167739...53.m1438.l2649

Then put it altogether yourself. Watch youtube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2021, 09:04 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
If you have a 10/22, just buy a Kidd barrel and trigger. You'll be well under $1K and you can spend the rest on decent quality ammunition. Those components have done well for many folks here. I like CZ's, but my own experience is that a Kidd barrel is, in general, a much higher grade component than any but the most accurate CZ factory barrel. And of course, you have to do your part.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:44 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
A few years ago I bought my 1st (only thus far) 10/22 used.
I'd been reading up here.....
Then I bought a few parts, then more.....
It didnt take long and I had more $ in it all than a lower end CZ would have cost and still didnt have the accuracy.
Coulda, shoulda, woulda done the CPC thing but I hadnt settled on a barrel to send.
I made the too common mistake of not focusing on the final form I wanted it to be; so I can morph it into 3 completely different styles of 'plinker/fun gun'. All for more than a CZ, what a deal
So, thats me.
You need to 1st decide if you really want this envisioned '50yd rimfire challenge' gun to be a semi-auto or bolt. The details/options will become clear after that.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:05 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
A bolt gun is more inherently accurate than a semi auto gun. Why? Just less mechanical movement. Tighter tolerances on the bolt. All the gas going one direction.

But , the issue is the $1000 limit. A CZ 457 MTR costs $700, and the glass and rail and rings at least $300.

So wheres the money for the rest , bag and ammo?

Add $500 and , yes, id take the CZ over a tricked up 1022.

When you buy a CZ, non MTR, std barrel, the first thing you start thinking about , is a new varmint barrel. Its just like a 1022, only more expensive.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:38 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My bad, to clarify, the $1000 was just a ballpark number for the rifle alone.

You all posted some good things to consider.

I did think about upgrading the current 10/22 but was wanting to avoid the scenario gcrank pointed out..
"Then I bought a few parts, then more.....
It didnt take long and I had more $ in it all than a lower end CZ would have cost "

My current 10-22 is semi auto and it seems I should move to a bolt action rifle.

Im sure there are also other rifles that would fit the bill, I just named 3 to get started. Thank you Toomany22s for that great bit of info and part suppliers.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:01 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
There are plenty of people that have gotten their 1022 to shoot on par , or better than a CZ, for less than what a CZ costs.

You might have an already good shooting 1022. There are lots of them out there.

And some simple diy improvements could make it much better. Scotch brite the interior of the receiver, polish the charging rod, use of Hornady one shot dri lube, a good chamber scrub out, A diy trigger job, just polish up the trigger parts , disconnector, hammer , etc and lube it right . A crown touch up, Tape bed the receiver, and a well placed pressure pad under the barrel, can turn n mediocre into good or better.

A kidd trigger and barrel , while as much as a low end CZ, so more with the cost of the 1022 is , as is noted, is a better gun than a low end CZ. But you will either have to sand out the barrel channel, and depending on the original stock may have to live with a goofy looking carbine stock wo a barrel band, or buy a new stock.

The prime advantage of a semi auto over a bolt gun, is that once you are settled over your gun and on target, you dont have to move, to shoot your second third.. shots, like you do on a bolt gun. Running the bolt on a cz with out losing your position on the gun is a skill that has to learned and practiced.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:30 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you like tinkering and upgrading then the 10/22 is a good option.

However if you just want an extremely accurate rifle out of the box, get an Anschutz second hand, they are simply sublime, the triggers are just so incredible, you will feel spoiled.

The only downside with Annie's, is that they make other triggers and most other guns feel agricultural by comparison, after all the Olympian's cant be wrong.

Also its good to know that it is you who missed, not your gun!

Anschutz Running boar/moving target rifle

I have had many many guns go through my hands over the years and in hindsight I would have saved a small fortune, had I been wise enough just to get an Anschutz all those years ago.

Same with a high end scope, I must have gone through 10-15 before I realised that its better to buy quality than buy twice.

I know Annie's are quite pricey in the USA but still spending $1k on a Ruger to make it almost as good as a bolt action is a false economy, in my humble opinion, however there's nowt wrong with doing this sort of thing, if it floats your boat!

you could also end up with reliability and function issues when you throw too many tune ups at a 10/22 believe me I've been there! carbon barrels kidd triggers etc etc my 10/22 cost me more than £1k considering

One day when I decide to do the lottery I will hopefully win enough money to get a Bleiker but then, its just a dream at 6k Euros for the base model

Last edited by Discontinued; 05-04-2021 at 07:41 AM. Reason: pics
Old 05-04-2021, 07:38 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
There are plenty of people that have gotten their 1022 to shoot on par , or better than a CZ, for less than what a CZ costs.

You might have an already good shooting 1022. There are lots of them out there.

And some simple diy improvements could make it much better. Scotch brite the interior of the receiver, polish the charging rod, use of Hornady one shot dri lube, a good chamber scrub out, A diy trigger job, just polish up the trigger parts , disconnector, hammer , etc and lube it right . A crown touch up, Tape bed the receiver, and a well placed pressure pad under the barrel, can turn n mediocre into good or better.

A kidd trigger and barrel , while as much as a low end CZ, so more with the cost of the 1022 is , as is noted, is a better gun than a low end CZ. But you will either have to sand out the barrel channel, and depending on the original stock may have to live with a goofy looking carbine stock wo a barrel band, or buy a new stock.

The prime advantage of a semi auto over a bolt gun, is that once you are settled over your gun and on target, you dont have to move, to shoot your second third.. shots, like you do on a bolt gun. Running the bolt on a cz with out losing your position on the gun is a skill that has to learned and practiced.
Sounds like sound advice.

Since I already have the 10-22, I'll touch it up, continue to shoot and get comfortable. I think this way I'll actually notice the improvements after I make changes on the gun without tossing an extensive amount of $ into it.

After I shoot it for a bit, then I'll have a clearer picture of what I should go after.

Now onto finding a good scope, which I'll need anyway : )
Old 05-04-2021, 08:55 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfirerobbo View Post
Now onto finding a good scope, which I'll need anyway : )

Thats another can o worms,

Hers my advice, at least 24 X , its nice to see the bullet holes as you make them, instant feedback .

FFP reticle, waste of money at 50 yards.

AO, an absolute must have, side version much easier than big ring on objective bell.

Variable magnification, a nice feature, if you arenít 100 % dedicated to using the gun off the bench.

Reticle, simple thin crosshairs are imho best, scopes with more markings and bdc stuff are distracting.

Illuminated, on most scopes just a gimmick.

Cost, some people say buy once cry once. Not me. Buying your forever scope for a 1022, planning eventually to put it on your future Annie, is imho, preposterous. Even if you do buy a better gun someday, youre going to want to put a new and better scope on it, and youre going to want to keep the old scope on the 1022 anyways.

All that being said, id recommend the Muller 8 x 32. https://muelleroptics.com/products/m...us-target-dot/
And if youíre patient, this is their EBay outlet, where you can buy them for less
https://www.ebay.com/usr/premiumwhol...p2047675.l2559
And this rail https://www.amazon.com/Ruger-10-22-P...135878&sr=8-46
Since VQ isnít making them anymore
And these rings https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...me=sp_atf_next
Old 05-04-2021, 09:00 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I like shooting, and more so like hitting the mark. I 'peaked' quite some years ago and now some days are encouraging....most are so-so and some are dismal. As I had reached out farther and at smaller targets I found less satisfaction, more frustration and other than the challenge and thrill of an occasional good hit the fun left.
So now I mostly shoot closer and at bigger stuff. If I seem to be on a run or having one of those marvelous days I will go for the smaller stuff. Hits are way more fun than misses and tighter 50yd groups better than wide 100yd.
My very good equipment doesnt seem to do markedly better than my less special rifles, so Ive been thinning the herd; Im the weak link, always have been though.
I guess it fair to say I dont feel so bad with mediocre groups, etc. from a heavy sporter than I did from my BSA Int. MkIII.
All that to say,"Keep It Fun"!
Old 05-04-2021, 09:30 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Hers my advice, at least 24 X , its nice to see the bullet holes as you make them, instant feedback .

AO, an absolute must have, side version much easier than big ring on objective bell.

Variable magnification, a nice feature, if you aren’t 100 % dedicated to using the gun off the bench.

Reticle, simple thin crosshairs are imho best, scopes with more markings and bdc stuff are distracting.

Cost, some people say buy once cry once. Not me. Buying your forever scope for a 1022, planning eventually to put it on your future Annie, is imho, preposterous. Even if you do buy a better gun someday, youre going to want to put a new and better scope on it, and youre going to want to keep the old scope on the 1022 anyways.

All that being said, id recommend the Muller 8 x 32. https://muelleroptics.com/products/m...us-target-dot/
And if you’re patient, this is their EBay outlet, where you can buy them for less
Since VQ isn’t making them anymore
Very sound advice Mr toomanytwotow's

You must get a scope with adjustable objective or side focus, otherwise it will make the crosshair dance around

I made the mistake of getting a Leupold freedom 3-9x40, without AO I'm sorely regretting it now. Its a fine scope for a hunter but not for 100 yards as the parallax is fixed at 75 it can become hazy and needs refocusing on the ocular lens when changing distance's.

I'm new to mueller scopes they look quite good unfortunately they don't export to the UK at present.

I think the point about keeping it fun is the most important aspect.

my plan is try try and get a one hole group at 100 with my CZ455, just to see if its possible then I hope to get my life back.

but then I have another rifle My Anschutz 54 which i deep cleaned and bought some new Centra aperture sights which I plan to do the same with this gun, if it can shoot 1 hole at 100 then i know its me missing at my usual 25 yards.

Personally I blame this forum!

An Aussie chap who shoots with us long range said something that really struck me " I can only cope with two rifles, three would be way too much" He has an Annie like mine but also Annie sporter I'm jealous, it feels so good in the hand.

Actually I'm very grateful to this forum and all the people who dig rabbit holes

Its actually saved me money as I would have previously bought more guns rather than, try to wring out the best accuracy out of my rifles and also my shooting technique

I'm grateful I only have 1 more slot for a rifle as I would end up sitting in a corner rocking back and forth mumbling to myself about Tenex, bedding recrowns and torque values

No I'm not buying a Chronograph you cant make me....

Just ordered a chronograph......

Last edited by Discontinued; 05-04-2021 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Chronograph
Old 05-04-2021, 10:25 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Variable magnification, a nice feature, if you arenít 100 % dedicated to using the gun off the bench.

And if youíre patient, this is their EBay outlet, where you can buy them for less
Since VQ isnít making them anymore

Thank you for the scope info. You saved me from some aggravation with the advice.

Any good youtube vidz or scope comparison forums to direct me to ? Wait, maybe you better not, I'll just get more confused on what to get.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:27 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well, after reading these forums, facebook gun groups, and other gun groups it is pretty easy to come to the conclusion that all you need to do to make a 10-22 a great shooter is to replace the barrel, action, trigger, stock, and put a good scope on it..... piece of cake...