Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:01 AM
stubbfarmer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowalkintexan View Post
JC Higgins DL, which I think is a Marlin 39..
Nope!
Old 03-28-2021, 07:50 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Marlin 39A .... Get one.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:00 AM
Iain

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang View Post
welcome,

Depending on condition and age, if it was me i would snap it up in a heartbeat. But again, condition and age.

I like the older ones since i felt they have the nicer actions. I dont have any NOS, but some of the ones i have/had were smoother.

if you want you can go onto the gun auction/sellling site and see what people are asking, bidding and what have sold for. Im not sure you have any such sites for the UK but you can look if you want

good luck
Been in touch with the trader selling it who tells me that someone placed a holding deposit on it over three months ago with no word since . He sounded a bit pissed about having it hanging for so long so he's going to start chasing the guy and get back to me.

Hope it comes my way because the pictures of it on the trader site (Gunstar.co.uk for those interested in what's happening over here) look good.

Price seems to be fair against others on the site but as you say, condition & age.

Not having owned a lever action before, any ideas on which sort of ammo these things have a preference for - H.V's or subs? Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a manual to refer to for stripdown/maintenance. I belong to two clubs and no-one I know owns a lever action for me ask about it.

Iain

P.S. Once again, my apologies to the OP for butting in to his thread.

Last edited by Iain; 03-28-2021 at 09:02 AM. Reason: missing
Old 03-28-2021, 11:05 AM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by razerface View Post
I have a lever disease. They are all fun. I like my old winchester the best, no checkering, i like smooth. . Marlins are heavy. Henrys are ok, with slick action. Brownings are slim, pretty and have a short stroke. Erma werki is an ancestor to henry. Ithaca saddle gun is erma werki. I do like the short marlin trapper too. Never shot a chiappa.

You really cannot buy a lever action that isnít fun to shoot.

Cowboy shooters are slicking up henrys to shoot 10 shots in LESS then 2 seconds.
Have a Henry H001. How does one slick them up to shoot 10 shots in 2 seconds?
Old 03-28-2021, 12:03 PM
redz
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Recently been down this road . First came a Browning BL-22 , then a Marlin 39AS , etc. Would love to have a Winchester 94222. So casually looking for one of those. Hard to go wrong with these 3. BL-22 is some much fun to shoot !!! Good luck with your search.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:21 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
Been in touch with the trader selling it who tells me that someone placed a holding deposit on it over three months ago with no word since . He sounded a bit pissed about having it hanging for so long so he's going to start chasing the guy and get back to me.

Hope it comes my way because the pictures of it on the trader site (Gunstar.co.uk for those interested in what's happening over here) look good.

Price seems to be fair against others on the site but as you say, condition & age.

Not having owned a lever action before, any ideas on which sort of ammo these things have a preference for - H.V's or subs? Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a manual to refer to for stripdown/maintenance. I belong to two clubs and no-one I know owns a lever action for me ask about it.

Iain

P.S. Once again, my apologies to the OP for butting in to his thread.
welcome back....

fwiw, my LGS did the same thing for many guns and customers. Someone would put 50 bucks down and it would sit for months or years. the person(s) didnt get to do that that many times before they lost that benefit. And i dont blame him at all about being POed. Its $$ sitting on a shelf and its not paying any bills.

i hope you let the LGS know you are interested and be willing to pay in full up front. That may get the owner to reach out and see if the person still wants it.

As far as what ammo your Winny may like????

thats a common question. on my lecture box....

> if you havent had alot of face to face time with a 22LR, you will learn alot.

> not all guns are the same and that goes for 22LRs too. you would think they SHOULD be the same, but sometimes and many times they aren't.

> Semi autos or self loaders can be picky - period. I dont want to scare you off, but its the nature of the beast.

> all you can do is to get as many different brands/types of ammo and test fly it through YOUR gun. If you are lucky, it will eat all of them. If not, make note and just buy what it likes. its why i have bolt actions, revolvers and single shot 22s. If one doesn't like some ammo, a different toy will. You can also check accuracy while doing this.

> As far as HV or Sub??? .. Sorry, but i only buy HV. No suppressors for this kid - yet. I know you all can buy a can (suppressor) for cheap, but where i come from, i can buy ~3 guns for the cost of the can and tax stamp. We have to have a more extensive background check for a can, machine gun....

> Also, if you decide to shoot 22 Short/Longs in your gun, you may want to do a chamber clean if you want to shoot 22LR. If not, the action maybe harder to operate.

off of lecture box....

heres a link to the OEMs website. Just an fyi, in teh USA? if you buy a USED gun and there is no OEM manual, they are supposed to be "FREE". Some OEMs may require you to input the guns s/n and so forth, but for the most part, no $$$ is needed, just some info. Also, googling may come up with some info posted, somewhere.

https://www.winchesterguns.com/conte...d9422-om-s.pdf

if you want you can do a boobtube search. you may find a video.

good luck and have fun....

Last edited by bangbang; 03-28-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:46 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I also know where there might be one of these Marlins for sale..

Old 03-30-2021, 11:33 AM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a Browning BL-22 and hated the trigger assembly so sold it immediately. Then found a reasonably priced Marlin 39A and couldn't be happier. It is one hellava lever .22. It's rugged, handsomely built and will outlast your grandchildren. Killed a squirrel just a few weeks ago with head shot at 50 yds. They are available on-line and at gun shows.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:57 AM
Iain

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Many thanks for the input Bangbang. Greatly appreciated

I've got a fair bit of time with .22's, both single shot and semi's, but it never hurts to ask does it? Every day is a day to learn something new. There will always be someone out there that has the little gem of information you seek.

Did a search on-line as you suggested & found the PDF version of the OEM manual, so that has been saved for now & will get printed out later. Shame it doesn't include the strip-down procedure for the breech bolt assembly but I'll keep looking. It's bound to be out there somewhere.

Not heard from the dealer so I've just sent off another email with an offer to pay up front. I'll see if that moves things along.

Iain
Old 04-01-2021, 09:31 AM
72 chevy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They are Multiplying

My son liked the BL-22 that I just purchase new, he found one on Gunbroker. The top one is a '79 model, the one on the bottom is new.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:20 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Cool

I had contacted the OP regarding a 9422 a friend was selling, but he had already ordered a Golden Boy. I picked the 9422 up anyway (a 1993 model with checkering, the s,l,lr barrel stamping -- not the magnum receiver -- and the brass magazine tube) and ended up selling it on the TP this week. I had the opportunity to disassemble and examine the rifle, since I was shipping it taken down, and I was very impressed.

I've owned quite a few 39s, including much older versions, and, while they are thoroughly debugged and well made, I don't think the fit and finish is anywhere near what I see in the 9422, and the latter is a later, less-well-finished version of the 9422. It had two stamped sheet metal internal parts, which was a bit disappointing, but they were very robust and well finished. Everything else was exceedingly well machined and finished, and the design, mostly a replication of the Winchester 61, was much more modern and sophisticated than the archaic 39 design (again, I like the 39, but these are my objective observations).

The rifle was also delightfully light and handled very well, and I can really see why people love these little rifles. One criticism, however. The mag tube does not latch very positively, especially when there is no ammunition in the rifle to compress the spring, which I find odd. I mean, they made 850,000 of them. How much effort would it have taken Winchester to deepen that notch a bit? As it was, the tube would sometimes release spontaneously when the rifle was empty.
9422 1.jpg

9422 2.jpg

TBR
Old 04-01-2021, 12:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
9422 magazine tube

I've never had any issues with my 9422 magazine followers letting go. Mine are both quite a bit older, and also have been shot quite a lot so they're not the cleanest, which may help hold the tube in a little better!
Old 04-01-2021, 09:45 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
you cannot go wrong with a vintage marlin , 9422 , henry , i dont have a browning lever but id not be afraid to go there ,

that said i also have vintage mossberg and been looking for a decent remington nylon lever , they are listed in the order id consider them , but then thats just me ,

there are reproduction 1873s i would consider too , in this order again ,
Old 04-02-2021, 04:36 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (113)
The Browning is a nice rifle, but the Marlin 39a, Win 9422 are very nice as well, I have owned 39's in the past, they are decent shooters and built like a tank.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:35 AM
Whig

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm in the Marlin group. I have numerous 39As, Mounties, 39s and older ones going back to the late 1800s. The 39A was my first 22LR. Still have it with an old Bushnell 3-9x scope. They are plentiful, accurate, highly sought after and just plain fun!

Good luck!