Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:27 AM
VertFish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)

While I am on a roll pontificating, the other tell that the finish is not factory was it appears that the checkering has not been totally sealed.

Your photo backdrop does look like a nice one. The wagon wheel is a nice touch. The advantage of Hambone's stage is that it looks good year round and he has a servant that trims it monthly. Where are you located Gary?
Old 10-12-2020, 11:54 AM
S&WK-22

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
John

[QUOTE=VertFish;12053949]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&WK-22 View Post

If it was my gun, I would not have Dennis refinish it. Most of the original KoO finish materials are no longer manufactured and the ones that are still available would have to be purchased in such huge quantities that it would not be financially feasible. Dennis does a great job of replicating the original finish,but it is not original. Your stock is so nice, I would keep it as is. While the origin of the rifle may be speculation, if the stock proportions are the same as the early KoO's, my guess is that "Professor Lunch Box" (Sagerat22) would be happy to inspect it and issue a Kimber Curio/Backdoor Gun Certificate for a nominal charge. Regardless,it is a fantastic looking stock.
Vert,
John has seen this gun, but probably 15 years ago. A fellow had a rather large collection he was liquidating, and I bought several. There was a factory hard chromed S/A B Action, that Kimber had done for an exhibit for a Shot Show. I was told that they wanted to see how the public would react to a stainless steel look on a S/A.
Even the magazines were hard chromed. That gun appeared to be unfired, bit I shot it, and it shot lights out. Due to family issues I sold that gun. Another gun that I bought along with that gun, was a mod 82 A Classic, that was, I believe, stocked in Myrtlewood. That gun had a stock that was a little trimmer than a standard 82 Classic, and was not checkered. John and I referred to that gun as “Plain Jane”.
Jane had some really crazy grain, and I expect it would have been a a double barreled pi$$er to try to checker. The last I knew, Jane was living in Eagle Point with friends and family.
Handling, and looking at Mr Goodwood, gives me the warm fuzzies, so I expect that one is here for the duration.
Best,
Gary
Old 10-12-2020, 12:00 PM
S&WK-22

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
North of John

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertFish View Post
While I am on a roll pontificating, the other tell that the finish is not factory was it appears that the checkering has not been totally sealed.

Your photo backdrop does look like a nice one. The wagon wheel is a nice touch. The advantage of Hambone's stage is that it looks good year round and he has a servant that trims it monthly. Where are you located Gary?
Very,
I am in Vancouver Wa, about 290 miles North of John.
My backdrop is an Evergreen (Arbor Vitae), gets pruned once a year, and usually looks just like the photos, unless covered in ice or snow.

Best,
Gary
Old 10-12-2020, 12:19 PM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)
[QUOTE=S&WK-22;12054275]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertFish View Post

Vert,
John has seen this gun, but probably 15 years ago. A fellow had a rather large collection he was liquidating, and I bought several. There was a factory hard chromed S/A B Action, that Kimber had done for an exhibit for a Shot Show. I was told that they wanted to see how the public would react to a stainless steel look on a S/A.
Even the magazines were hard chromed. That gun appeared to be unfired, bit I shot it, and it shot lights out. Due to family issues I sold that gun. Another gun that I bought along with that gun, was a mod 82 A Classic, that was, I believe, stocked in Myrtlewood. That gun had a stock that was a little trimmer than a standard 82 Classic, and was not checkered. John and I referred to that gun as “Plain Jane”.
Jane had some really crazy grain, and I expect it would have been a a double barreled pi$$er to try to checker. The last I knew, Jane was living in Eagle Point with friends and family.
Handling, and looking at Mr Goodwood, gives me the warm fuzzies, so I expect that one is here for the duration.
Best,
Gary
Well it certainly sounds like the gun has all of the background of a "Certified No Rules Kimber" I'm glad the shepherd of stray dog Kimbers has inspected it. I don't recall seeing Jane last time I was in town. I'll have to put that on my spring sagerat hunt to do list.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:39 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (273)
I have only one thing to say: "Good wood" is truly a GROSS understatement! Spectacular! (OK, that's two things, but I couldn't help myself. )

Doug
Old 10-12-2020, 07:15 PM
S&WK-22

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
I have only one thing to say: "Good wood" is truly a GROSS understatement! Spectacular! (OK, that's two things, but I couldn't help myself. )

Doug
Thank you, Sir.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:47 PM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
The aforementioned "Plain Jane." No evidence of checkering, wood appears to be myrtle wood with possibly a Warne red stain. If you can expand your screen, the figure is pretty interesting. Outfitted with a Kimber 4x scope and first generation Kimber rings

Last edited by SageRat22; 10-13-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:55 PM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)
Well, there you go.......another member of the Sagerat stray dog pound!
Bar 5 Ranch’s slogan: “Stray Dogs Are Us”.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:59 PM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Maybe I should get hats made with that logo?
Old 10-15-2020, 11:05 PM
S&WK-22

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Mr. Goodwood

Just for the sake of conversation, and record keeping, what do y’all think would be a fair value to assign to Mr Goodwood?
Best,
Gary
Old 10-21-2020, 11:44 PM
DES/TSD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
say what !???? It ain't orginal, but there are almost as many gunstocks with non original finish on them as there are original. My guess only.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:36 AM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&WK-22 View Post
Just for the sake of conversation, and record keeping, what do y’all think would be a fair value to assign to Mr Goodwood?
Best,
Gary
That is a tough question and opinions will vary greatly on the matter. It scores huge bonus points for the nearly exhibition grade Claro, but definite deducts for a non-original factory finish. If I owned that gun, I would book it in my inventory at around $2,500 or so.

It would be interesting to hear what some of you others think about the value of Mr. Goodwood.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:36 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (273)
I'm with you all the way on that, Vert!

Doug
Old 10-25-2020, 08:21 AM
Savagenut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stunning !
Old 10-25-2020, 09:57 AM
sceva

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
[QUOTE=S&WK-22
Just as a guess, I would speculate that this fine piece of lumber did not wind up on a S/A is because Greg Warne did not care for wood with fiddleback.

Best,
Gary[/QUOTE]

I did not know that. I know of at least one S-Series .22 with great fiddleback
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right Hand side 2 close up.jpg (189.1 KB, 9 views)