Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:33 AM
funsk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
model 41 recoil springs

I picked up 5 digit 41 in great condition from a fellow club member. Curious about different recoil springs and their tension. I will be shooting nothing but CCI sv and would like your thoughts on---- What is the lbs. of the original spring? How often do change? Also if I do change is there a lighter or heavier spring I should use? What should I be looking for as far as function or damage to the weapon.
Thanks in advance!!!
Jim
Old 08-26-2020, 08:00 AM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Here ya go...

https://clarkcustomguns.com/product/...ecoil-springs/

Usually Wolff springs on their website gives the stock recoil spring value, and than offers other values.

I couldn't find the model 41 on Wolffs website.

There it is: The Factory is 7.5 lbs.

http://www.bullseyegear.com/bullseye...r-springs.html

Last edited by Flintlock28; 08-26-2020 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:05 AM
tigmaned
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
95% (19)
just my 2cents... but buying used guns with having no idea of what last owner did with it.... i think recoil spring change is a must..... shoot Standard Velocity ammo in it also.. i went with Wolff springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2020, 08:08 AM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I would go with the stock 7.5 lb spring, and maybe get a 7 and 6.5lb, also in case you don't get proper cycling.

If I remember, S&W recommends CCI Standard Velocity, as it's preferred ammo.

I would guess you would get a few thousand rounds out of a proper spring, before replacement.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:07 AM
sceva

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Make sure you search here on the forum before installing. Something about which end goes where and the issues if you get it wrong
Old 08-26-2020, 10:45 AM
HBoswell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also recently acquired a "vintage" model 41 and have done a few upgrades. It came with a 7.5" barrel with the steel weight and I replaced it with the aluminum version off Ebay. I also added a recoil buffer and a Volquartsen extractor ($12.50 from Ebay) and I picked up the Wolff recoil spring kit with 3 lower power springs. When I first got the pistol it functioned flawlessly with Aguila standard velocity but wouldn't cycle CCI at all, maybe 3 out of 10 rounds would cycle the action properly. I replaced the 7.5# factory spring with the 7# Wolff and now it cycles CCI without a problem. The kit comes with 6#, 6.5# and 7# springs along with 3 firing pin springs. The Wolff springs have only one end finished which must be installed towards the muzzle to prevent the spring from walking out of the frame.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:53 AM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
model 41 recoil springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceva View Post
Make sure you search here on the forum before installing. Something about which end goes where and the issues if you get it wrong
In case you missed it, check out the following for more on the installation of Wolff

Recoil Springs in a Model 41: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1199505
Old 08-27-2020, 10:03 AM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
model 41 recoil springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock28 View Post

I couldn't find the model 41 on Wolffs website.
Scroll down a bit after clicking on this: https://www.gunsprings.com/SMITH%20&...D58/dID261#876

Please see the eighth "product chart" for the recoil springs that Wolff does make for the Model 41.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:02 AM
kingsey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 41

I have a chance to buy a nice Model 41 and don't know what would a decent price. It comes with 1 mag and no papers. It has a 51/2 barrel I need some help Thanks
Old 08-27-2020, 05:19 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (99)

It is all about condition. Pre A or A serial number range is what I would be looking for. The finish on these pistols in a word is just better. 900 dollars would be the starts for a nice one. Extra magazines are a plus, as is the box,papers, cleaning kit, screw driver . Anything less than 900 dollars is a good deal if it is clean. Also if you have a chance to shoot it first would tell you a lot whether you want to pursue it or not. Good luck in your search. That is what is the fun for me is the search. Once you know what you are looking for. There are a lot of smith and wesson 41 pistols for sale but the ones I mentioned will cut down on your search. Take your time you will know when you find the right one.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:00 AM
HBoswell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with Webfoot56, the older ones get high praise and the newer ones, not so much. Mine is a 7.5" 4xxxx serial # which puts it at around 1962-1964 manufacture. The finish is worn in spots and it isn't the prettiest gun I own, but, it is probably the finest shooting 22lr pistol I have, and I have a few. I buy guns to shoot, not store, and this one was worth every penny of the $625 I paid for it. The rear sight was missing one leg and I replaced it for $50 with one off Ebay and I have added a new recoil spring, barrel weight, Volquartsen extractor, Harrett National grips and most recently, a 5.5" target barrel with a B-square scope mount which gives me a quarter size group at 25yards. I'm in it a little over a grand now and it is all money well spent. The only other ones I have seen outside of the over-priced gun show items are at a local shop now, one 5.5" and a 7.5" which are both over $1000. Like Webfoot56 says, don't be in a hurry and you should be able to find an older one at a decent price, then you can do like me and make it yours. I know I have enjoyed the heck out of it.