Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:39 AM
Knotwild

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rear Sight Problem

I have a 41, 5.5" heavy barrel with the Keng rear sight. At 20 yards it is shooting 4 inches high with the sight adjusted as far down as it will go. I am wondering what my options are to fix that. I don't want to file the front sight due to it being milled as part of the slide. Has anyone disassembled the Keng sight and perhaps filed the base down? It appears to be almost impossible to find a Keng rear sight from what I can see.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:02 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
96% (18)
I have never had that problem with model 41
Old 07-07-2020, 07:02 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
96% (18)
Can you post pictures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2020, 08:47 PM
sceva
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'm a little confused; how could you file the front sight to make it taller? (Filing it down would raise the impact )

I wonder if lower rear sight blades are available for Keng's
Old 07-07-2020, 11:10 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
96% (18)
Yes you can build front sight up that will lower impact! But filling it down would raise impact
Old 07-08-2020, 05:13 AM
crankythunder

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Ya know what I would do Knotwild?

First off, even though it was shooting high, I would test that barrel for accuracy to make sure it is not completely messed up. If it delivered acceptable accuracy, although too high, I would get a weaver base for that barrel and mount a red dot on it. Secondly, I would confirm that it is still shooting 4 inches high at 20 yards. I have had a couple of pistols that when purchased, the iron sights were not zeroed the first time I shot it but subsequent range sessions they got zeroed all by themselves.

I would also evaluate it to see if the rear sight "wings" could be filed down somewhat. Somebody has obviously messed around with the Keng sight to suit their eyeballs.

Then, if you really want a iron sighted model 41, I would get a new barrel for it with a new keng sight. There are a handful of different rear sights for the model 41 but the Keng sight is the best. Problem is that you would need to choose if you wanted the 7 inch barrel the 5 1/2 inch barrel, or the 5 inch super lightweight field barrel (if you could find one).

Regards,
Crankster

Last edited by crankythunder; 07-08-2020 at 05:18 AM. Reason: misspellings added to verify authorship by engineer
Old 07-08-2020, 05:49 AM
crankythunder

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Hey Knotwild, Cranky again

Just had a thought, its been a while since I have worked on a Keng sight but I think that there is a hex set screw under the rear blade of that sight, turn the adjustment lever to raise the sight completely, it will rotate up and there is a spring anad maybe a couple ball bearings (not sure about the ball bearings) but disassemble in a pie tin so you catch any small parts as they fall out.

Take a look at the set screw and see if it is sticking up and needs to be replaced with the correct size or filed down to the correct size. Probably a long shot but let me know what you find.

Crankster
Old 07-09-2020, 09:23 AM
Knotwild

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceva View Post
I'm a little confused; how could you file the front sight to make it taller? (Filing it down would raise the impact )

I wonder if lower rear sight blades are available for Keng's
You are correct, my mistake.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:32 AM
Knotwild

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I let the rear sight up so I could look under it and see if anything was holding it up, but it was clean. I've had this gun since the 70's and I have shot the heck out of it "plinking". It's always been reliable and I keep it around on a plantation I manage for pests and such. Irons are best for me.

I did make at least one mistake before I posted - I should have tried some other ammunition. I was shooting bulk Remington. Perhaps some standard velocity would be closer to the point of aim.

I am not much of a tinkerer/gunsmith, so if I get into something as delicate as that rear sight with springs, detent balls and such, it would likely be a disaster. But, it does look like you could take the rear sight off and file down the base of the sight to make it go lower. I suppose I could just buy a new barrel or send this one to S&W.

I also liked the idea of altering the existing rear sight. It seems almost impossible to buy Keng parts anywhere.

Thanks for helping me along on this .
Old 07-09-2020, 12:48 PM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Rear Sight Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotwild View Post
I let the rear sight up so I could look under it and see if anything was holding it up, but it was clean. I've had this gun since the 70's and I have shot the heck out of it "plinking". It's always been reliable and I keep it around on a plantation I manage for pests and such. Irons are best for me.

I did make at least one mistake before I posted - I should have tried some other ammunition. I was shooting bulk Remington. Perhaps some standard velocity would be closer to the point of aim.

I am not much of a tinkerer/gunsmith, so if I get into something as delicate as that rear sight with springs, detent balls and such, it would likely be a disaster. But, it does look like you could take the rear sight off and file down the base of the sight to make it go lower. I suppose I could just buy a new barrel or send this one to S&W.

I also liked the idea of altering the existing rear sight. It seems almost impossible to buy Keng parts anywhere.

Thanks for helping me along on this .
Knotwild,

Try some different brands of standard velocity ammunition to see if that helps. Due to the very small parts that are present, it would be best to leave rear sight disassembly to a professional gunsmith in order to avoid a disaster. Because Keng parts are almost impossible to buy, altering or modifying them in any way might not be prudent. Some on this forum have been disappointed with the service received from S&W. Owners still had the same problems with their "repaired" firearms.

Consult with a qualified gunsmith about the two different solutions below that I would consider if this was my Model 41:

A.) Have the front sight built up by welding. Machine it to the correct height and profile.

B.) Machine the entire front sight blade off of its base. Mill a dovetail into the base. Install a sight blank into the dovetail. Machine it to the correct height and shape.

C.) With either approach, the sight could be touched-up with cold bluing solution.

Click on https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...-prod9685.aspx to see an example of a front sight blank.

P.S. Would buying a new barrel cost less than obtaining the services of a gunsmith? Dunno.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:42 PM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
model 41 S&W

Front sight modification should be a good bit less than a new barrel. I install fiber optic front sights on all of my iron sighted pistols. Dawson Precision is my recommendation for the sight and the install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fiber optic front.jpg (506.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-09-2020, 05:08 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Misk1911,
What did you do . Did you send that barrel in and have them grind the sight off and put a dovetail on it so that sight could be used ?

Just curious
Old 07-09-2020, 07:31 PM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
model 41 S&W

I did it myself. I have a Bridgeport mill and a lathe.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:39 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Looks really good, and very nicely done.

I wish that S&W would start making them like that. Easy to switch front sights like that.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:32 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
96% (18)
S&w did on performance center it has removable front sight EWKarms makes fiber optic replacement