Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:18 AM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Birchwood Casey Lead Remover Cloth. It works. It will also clean carbon deposits off the SS revolver cylinders.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Birc...th/1611128.uts
Lead Remover Cloth works best with cylinder deposits. I have used several brands in the heavily leaded barrels, it's slow......as in Christmas. Kleenbore brand is the one I have found to be the best for lead, although other shooters have found favor with different brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
Chaser got it right. I've had that same conversation with other barrel makers over the years and with some top shooters also. I don't understand the obsession with cleaning when you don't even know if it's affecting your groups.
Before cleaning, the groups at 50 yards were wayyy too large, due to the crud in the bore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilerham View Post
Not specifically the .22lr world but a Friend
Sniper and Navyseal told me they do not clean the bore. A seasoned barrel is more predictable.
He said and I quote a built well and right fitted gun shoots the bullet accurately. Not the cleanliness of your pipe. They have long match barrel. Again back to quality parts and build.
I’ve only cleaned one .22 barrel and it’s because it has corrosion in it.
Now dry patching every once in a while is fine to push the dirt and powder residue out of one to prevent corrosion.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sniper and Navyseals can probably see the all of the grooves in the leade area where the chamber ends. This is caused by lead buildup in .22 rifles. There were two grooves in the leade area full of lead about 1/2" into the barrel. Usually not a problem with centerfire using jacketed ammo. After any cleaning process, you still have to season your barrel for best accuracy.

Last edited by ammohog; 02-10-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:11 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Butch's Bore Shine and Patchworm. Never had a 22lr barrel actually need more. I used to use bore brush but now only use them on the muzzle to get the nasty build up from running a can. Just my 4 cents. Everyone has a "right" way it needs to be done.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:43 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
Just tried the brush / cleaning rod / drill experiment using a GM barrel that was really dirty, and the regular cleaning rod with chosen products didn't work. No matter how I cleaned the GM barrel, it still looked like hammered dog mess using the borescope. Loaded the brush up with Iosso and gave it about 3 minutes full length using slow speed with drill. Cleaned it out and borescoped it. All I have to say is "Wow!". It removed more junk out of the barrel than you can possibly imagine. Can't wait to get it to the range and see how it shoots. Yes I borescoped it before and after.... Jury is out until I shoot it, but I really don't see how or why it would hurt your barrel using slow speed. It even removed some of those pesky "spots" on the lands and grooves. Sure beats using the regular cleaning rod for a few days. Will add a PS after shooting..... when the weather permits. Let the bashing begin!

I do this only occasionally and only in the chamber.

I do however have a savage barrel with a spot midway that like to lead up that I might try a full length cleaning with a cordless drill.

I need to get a boat scope first.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 02-13-2020, 04:03 PM
billysue
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have spent a lot of time cleaning barrels and never getting to the point where I got a clean patch. Bought a Teslong bore scope a while back and here is what it told me. The barrel was clean but the chamber wasn't. Try this. When you have the barrel to where you think it is clean but still see smudges, take a clean patch from the muzzle end and go down short of the chamber. I bet she comes out clean. Now take a clean patch and run it in just past the chamber and pull it out. Dirty aint it !!!!!
Old 02-14-2020, 01:12 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Clean your barrel 10 times the usual way. Wet the bore with your usual solvent and let sit overnight. Repeat every day for two years. Then it might be spotless.....

At least I feel that way...

I clean until I just have a slightly gray patch, and quit. That usually takes 6-8 cycles of wet, brush, dry. About 20-30 patches worth. This is usually after about 200 rounds, and I dry brush a couple of times during that.

Last edited by bearcatter; 02-14-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:01 PM
chillywig
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
Clean your barrel 10 times the usual way. Wet the bore with your usual solvent and let sit overnight. Repeat every day for two years. Then it might be spotless.....

That's the way I was starting to feel. Don't think I will try to get a 22lr 100% again. Having the bore scope is telling me a lot. Just got a Bergara B14R. Looked in it before firing a shot and have a known starting point with a new gun. It will be fun to watch it get dirty
Old 02-14-2020, 08:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Some of these cleaning stories sound worse than cleaning my muzzleloaders with real deal black powder fouling.....
Old 02-18-2020, 10:17 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
Just tried the brush / cleaning rod / drill experiment using a GM barrel that was really dirty, and the regular cleaning rod with chosen products didn't work. No matter how I cleaned the GM barrel, it still looked like hammered dog mess using the borescope. Loaded the brush up with Iosso and gave it about 3 minutes full length using slow speed with drill. Cleaned it out and borescoped it. All I have to say is "Wow!". It removed more junk out of the barrel than you can possibly imagine. Can't wait to get it to the range and see how it shoots. Yes I borescoped it before and after.... Jury is out until I shoot it, but I really don't see how or why it would hurt your barrel using slow speed. It even removed some of those pesky "spots" on the lands and grooves. Sure beats using the regular cleaning rod for a few days. Will add a PS after shooting..... when the weather permits. Let the bashing begin!
Took the GM barrel to the range Sunday. With the "new" CCI SV, it did manage a few 1/2" groups at 50 yards. It didn't like the Center X. With Eley Match, it managed to shoot 1/2" and the best groups were about .3". Yes, this works much better than using a regular cleaning rod for a week or so. Once again, this is an old barrel that I got used, and there is no telling how it was cleaned or if it was mistreated by the previous owner. These were all groups of 5 with each ammo (at least 5 groups of 5 shots), and was wet patched until clean between ammo changes, and of course dry patched a few times. Yes, this works, and I will not hesitate to do it again with a barrel that just "won't get clean" with conventional methods. I don't know if this would be acceptable for very high dollar match barrels, I doubt it very seriously. ........ But when all else fails.........you just never know until you try. If you do this method with an older barrel, I would suggest using a nylon brush with JB Paste first, then borescope to see the results.

Last edited by ammohog; 02-18-2020 at 10:25 AM.