Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:18 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Now thatís appealing. Looks like a tapered varmint, short light handy and deadly. Now I want one too!

Oh wait , I have a 453 Varmint, with an SST .

Oh , I still want one.

Just got a love cz itus!
Old 11-08-2018, 09:26 PM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
HAH!

Threaded barrel, too. For Justin Case...

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol

Last edited by COW 54; 11-08-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:24 AM
NashvilleStage
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4B1DM4U53 View Post
...but dont get hung up on "the barrel must be exactly 16.000"", it'll have to be what it needs to be, 16.43", 15.75", wherever gets the muzzle being the tightest spot in the barrel.
I'm not sure what the laws are in Canada, but in the US, cutting a barrel shorter than 16" requires you to first go through the process of getting government approval to make a Short Barreled Rifle. To do otherwise would be breaking some serious laws.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:48 AM
Hunter2678
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
Ameriscout. Got on Friday, scope came in Saturday. It's not broken in yet.

A cold day today, managed to shoot these at 50 yards (5 shot groups)

3/8" or less at 50. I'm happy

see thats what a short barrel will do!!!
Old 11-09-2018, 06:54 AM
Lance Boyle
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I will toss out some options

- pick up a new barrel fro cz and save your known shooter
- pick up a take off from guys buying lilja or other premium barrels
- pick up a 455 to do your project as barrel swaps are that much easier.

My personal opinion is pick up the 455. I did kind of want a 452 16Ē threaded American for when I retire to a state with better gun rights. I really didnít want the old non standard euro threads cz used at the time. Now I wish I had the new 455 scout for that project. I have a 452 scout though.

I have a grizzly gunsmith lathe so I have options but hate cutting on stuff that might devalue them. Then again I am short so shorter stocks and barrels work better for me. I am not here forever so modifying to fit me makes sense in my old age if I I am coming to keep it. Time to fire up the bandsaw and trim those Winchester 52 stocks.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:19 AM
Hunter2678

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Boyle View Post
Well I will toss out some options

- pick up a new barrel fro cz and save your known shooter
- pick up a take off from guys buying lilja or other premium barrels
- pick up a 455 to do your project as barrel swaps are that much easier.

My personal opinion is pick up the 455. I did kind of want a 452 16Ē threaded American for when I retire to a state with better gun rights. I really didnít want the old non standard euro threads cz used at the time. Now I wish I had the new 455 scout for that project. I have a 452 scout though.

I have a grizzly gunsmith lathe so I have options but hate cutting on stuff that might devalue them. Then again I am short so shorter stocks and barrels work better for me. I am not here forever so modifying to fit me makes sense in my old age if I I am coming to keep it. Time to fire up the bandsaw and trim those Winchester 52 stocks.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:22 AM
Hunter2678

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Alright guys....soo....after much thought...I think Im gonna leave this 452 alone...Buuuuuut I begrudgingly bought another 452 and Im gonna hack that barrel down to a stub and prove all you naysyaers wrong!!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:27 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter2678 View Post
Alright guys....soo....after much thought...I think Im gonna leave this 452 alone...Buuuuuut I begrudgingly bought another 452 and Im gonna hack that barrel down to a stub and prove all you naysyaers wrong!!
Shoot it first with several higher end makes of ammo to make sure it isn't more accurate than the other that was under the guillotine.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:54 AM
Hunter2678

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Shoot it first with several higher end makes of ammo to make sure it isn't more accurate than the other that was under the guillotine.
Of course...of course.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:57 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Hunter2678 sir I think you made a wise decision...accurate rifles are not a dime a dozen at least not in my world....I have both 452 and 455 rifles and for what you want the 455 is in my opinion a no brainer...barrels are cheap, easy to switch and with the new 455 scout with threaded barrel it's a plug and play set up.

I like what Cow54 has done...I think that would be something I am going to look into. Now for me if the scout came in a 17hmr or a 22mag then I would be all over it. It would be perfect for me when I move to a better state after I retire. I would probably have one of each.

I understand what you want and this is your rifle and your decision on what is best for you.

I will be watching to see how this all turns out.

Good luck on your quest

Signalman
Old 11-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Hunter2678

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
Hunter2678 sir I think you made a wise decision...accurate rifles are not a dime a dozen at least not in my world....I have both 452 and 455 rifles and for what you want the 455 is in my opinion a no brainer...barrels are cheap, easy to switch and with the new 455 scout with threaded barrel it's a plug and play set up.

I like what Cow54 has done...I think that would be something I am going to look into. Now for me if the scout came in a 17hmr or a 22mag then I would be all over it. It would be perfect for me when I move to a better state after I retire. I would probably have one of each.

I understand what you want and this is your rifle and your decision on what is best for you.

I will be watching to see how this all turns out.

Good luck on your quest

Signalman
Understood, but I have to say after owning a few 455s Im just not impressed with them. None of them have ever been as consistent or accurate as my 452, even the varmint 455 I had. Now that I found a heap of new 452s for sale I just picked another up and might pick up 2 in fact for good measure. I had a gorgeous 452 varmint in 22lr I sold locally about 6 yrs ago and I kick my self in the teeth thinking about it. Oh well, at the time I needed the money and knew Id regret it. Im not the only one whose ever been in that predicament with a gun before.

Last edited by Hunter2678; 11-09-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:10 AM
lefty222
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
Ameriscout. Got on Friday, scope came in Saturday. It's not broken in yet.

A cold day today, managed to shoot these at 50 yards (5 shot groups)

3/8" or less at 50. I'm happy

That is a nice little woods set up, compact and to boot it shoots well.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:10 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Hunter2678 sir I have two 455 Rifles that shoot just as good and even better than some of my 452 rifles I own...my 455 Trainer rocks with the 24.8" barrel and my 455 FS does also.

Signalman
Old 11-09-2018, 08:22 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter2678 View Post
ATA boy, have your brother jump of the garage roof. Thatíll show em!
Really , paid a bunch of money for a 452 when you could have just bought the 455 Ameriscout?

Stubbornness is not an admirable attribute!

Mangling a different 452 is not going to prove anything but that you are intractable.
Even if you document the unaltered rifles performance before and after the elective surgery, and by some miracle , fluke or manipulation it shoots better after being shortened. Us naysayers will not be impressed enough to go out and do it to our rifles.

The normal thing to do if you want a shorter barrel is to buy a rifle with a shorter barrel. The reason it is normal is that it is logical. And most people operate under logic. Impulse control is difficult for some of us, but really essential .

Good luck with your hairbrained scheme. But expect a lot of I told you soís from the peanut gallery, and a lot of shodenfreude smirks from those that encouraged this ill fated endeavor..

I hope you realize Iím just tugging your chain in good humor. The heart wants what the heart wants, and your perverted desires arenít really going to hurt anyone but yourself.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Hunter2678

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
ATA boy, have your brother jump of the garage roof. Thatíll show em!
Really , paid a bunch of money for a 452 when you could have just bought the 455 Ameriscout?

Stubbornness is not an admirable attribute!

Mangling a different 452 is not going to prove anything but that you are intractable.
Even if you document the unaltered rifles performance before and after the elective surgery, and by some miracle , fluke or manipulation it shoots better after being shortened. Us naysayers will not be impressed enough to go out and do it to our rifles.

The normal thing to do if you want a shorter barrel is to buy a rifle with a shorter barrel. The reason it is normal is that it is logical. And most people operate under logic. Impulse control is difficult for some of us, but really essential .

Good luck with your hairbrained scheme. But expect a lot of I told you soís from the peanut gallery, and a lot of shodenfreude smirks from those that encouraged this ill fated endeavor..

I hope you realize Iím just tugging your chain in good humor. The heart wants what the heart wants, and your perverted desires arenít really going to hurt anyone but yourself.