Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:32 PM
Lawyerman

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
Brimstone Tier 2 or the equivalent done on a BX housing is great work. But I won't let that $78.50 number fool anyone up front. And this is just for info, because I have 3 Brimstone jobs and love them. You're at $78.50 but then $9.50 for return shipping. A USPS flat rate box will cost you $7.20 to send it to them.

So figure a Brimstone Tier 2 at $95.20 all in. Done it 3 times, no regrets.

So....twice as much as a BX.....

I really love this forum but there is a serious issue of always MORE, here......

"I got a Brownells receiver and for $100 it wasn't as nice as a Kidd so I'll just spend 3 times as much for a Kidd from now on... "......Uh, yea, that makes sense.....
Old 09-03-2018, 04:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have eased the pain of cost analysis by admitting a 10/22 addiction.....I feel so much better now.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:22 PM
MauserMaster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyerman View Post

I really love this forum but there is a serious issue of always MORE, here......

"I got a Brownells receiver and for $100 it wasn't as nice as a Kidd so I'll just spend 3 times as much for a Kidd from now on... "......Uh, yea, that makes sense.....
You got it real well. Every one does the after market name game to stay "relevant" as the salesman would say.

Truly, M98 triggers and 91/30 triggers are probably as smooth and crisp as an after market trigger group that costs 400.
Just doesn't have the "fancy name"

Alternately you can look at it this way.

What makes more sense to buy, a nickel plated SAA that was refinished by Reeder, or a factory nickel plated colt done at the factory?
Old 09-03-2018, 04:27 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
All my custom builds have been on steel receivers.
In the old days I would use AMT receivers.

A few years ago I used MOA stainless steel receivers.

I recently bought some left over Kingston carbon steel receivers. The price was too good to pass up. I bought them in the white and I’ve been sanding machine marks out of them. Once my Kidd bolt comes in I will make sure it works well and then I’m taking the receivers in for Nitride treatment.
I will put a Kidd tapered and threaded barrel on with a Kidd single stage trigger and an Altamont Viceroy stock. It should be a “looker” and a “performer”.

We will see.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:47 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauserMaster View Post
Truly, M98 triggers and 91/30 triggers are probably as smooth and crisp as an after market trigger group that costs 400.
?
I've got experience with a single M98. A 1916 Danzig GEW98 of my cousin's, sporterized into a 30.06. The trigger was like a long lever. A $50 low end Timney turned that around real quick like. About 10 times better and not $400. But who knows? Maybe he had one of the bad ones up front.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:55 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

Yes, there is always more. Do you know a place I can find a BX for $41.25? There are levels of triggers. This is a place for information. One can read what they want here and albeit much can be taken with a grain of salt, its a source of information for the "Is it worth it" question. The BX is a great improvement over the stock trigger. It will run you from $50-$85 depending on where you buy it and if you pay shipping or sales tax. There are better triggers to be had at different price levels. Is it worth the difference? Well, thats for people to decide themselves.

You yourself may be content with an out of the box BX. I personally will get something better. No right or wrong, just what different people want. Now the guy that buys the $1400 Volquartsen Scorpion and shoots it 3 times a year, well to me that is overkill.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:07 AM
Lawyerman

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauserMaster View Post
You got it real well. Every one does the after market name game to stay "relevant" as the salesman would say.

Just doesn't have the "fancy name"

Alternately you can look at it this way.

What makes more sense to buy, a nickel plated SAA that was refinished by Reeder, or a factory nickel plated colt done at the factory?
Nobody said that 91/30 triggers are as good as a Huber Concepts..(Yes, I shoot Sniper Matches with a pair of Surgeons and have a GA Precision with the Huber)..... The question is, does EVERY SHOOTER AND EVERY GUN NEED A $400 HUBER? No, no they don't. Period.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:18 AM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPWarhawk View Post
I have four of the BX triggers. These were ordered online, so totally random. There really isnít a noticeable difference between any of them. I am very satisfied with all of them, of course Iím not a benchrest shooter either.
I agree. I will add if a guy blames a BX trigger for not being able to shoot good groups he probably needs to look at other variables. A BX trigger is no Kidd, but dang good for price.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:22 PM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
If I order a Bx from say Brownells, sight unseen, what pull weight range can I reasonably expect?
I'd not order one online. When I bought mine, 2 of the 3 I tested "live" were gritty POS's. The 3rd was pretty good and once I did the bobby pin trigger return thing to it, it is better than my brimstone tier 2 OEM trigger.

Not sure what you are after though. If you just want "lighter" than OEM then I suppose order online. But if you want something a bit more refined, you really need to try them out first. So if you can't find your way to a LGS that might have a few you can try, I'd opt for spending more and buying a Kidd or something.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:36 PM
PhilF
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Brimstone Again

For the $50-60 average cost of a BX, you can get a Brimstone Tier3, $38 + shipping with known results, you don't get the aluminum colored trigger blade that comes with the tier2 but then neither does the BX. Known results instead of a gamble, same price, JMHO
Don't agonize over it, just send your stock trigger too Brimstone and have peace of mind
Old 09-04-2018, 08:32 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKE1022 View Post
I agree. I will add if a guy blames a BX trigger for not being able to shoot good groups he probably needs to look at other variables. A BX trigger is no Kidd, but dang good for price.
Agreed, its better than the mix & match mess I was trying to shoot groups with 10yrs ago. And a bit less expensive.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:30 PM
rawhp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Expect something in the vicinity of 2 1/2 lb. But the geometry of the BX hammer and sear allow the sear to reset with a lot less spring tension than on the standard trigger. You can probably get any BX to 2 lbs just by snipping the return spring and nothing else, if that's what you're after.

With some polishing you'll get below 2, and lighter if you're willing to do some stoning.

Mine breaks just below 1 lb 6 oz, with polishing, stoning, and converting to a metal trigger and torsion spring return.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:45 PM
Lawyerman

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhp View Post
Expect something in the vicinity of 2 1/2 lb. But the geometry of the BX hammer and sear allow the sear to reset with a lot less spring tension than on the standard trigger. You can probably get any BX to 2 lbs just by snipping the return spring and nothing else, if that's what you're after.

With some polishing you'll get below 2, and lighter if you're willing to do some stoning.

Mine breaks just below 1 lb 6 oz, with polishing, stoning, and converting to a metal trigger and torsion spring return.
2.5 lbs is perfectly acceptable for 99% of shooting, even on the light side for some things. Jack O' Connor, Townsend Whelen and many other of this countries finest rifleman for example opined that the ideal weight for a trigger on a hunting rifle was 3.5-4 lbs.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:27 PM
rawhp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
2.5 lbs is perfectly acceptable for 99% of shooting, even on the light side for some things. Jack O' Connor, Townsend Whelen and many other of this countries finest rifleman for example opined that the ideal weight for a trigger on a hunting rifle was 3.5-4 lbs.

Agreed. As long as the trigger isnít super heavy (or super light) and gritty, the shooter should be able to adapt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2018, 08:34 PM
MarkS20

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've tried some real light triggers and prefer my BX's 2.5 lbs. Much better than the original. Not that a Brimstone job wouldn't do a fine job on the original factory trigger.

-- Mark