recommend - precision 22 lr less than $1000 out of the box - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:17 PM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
recommend - precision 22 lr less than $1000 out of the box

Please move if I posted incorrectly. Long time lurker 1st post.
Looking for all you "experienced pros" for recommendations.

The 50yd rimfire challenge bug has hit me so now I need to get out my wallet

I have a Ruger 10-22 but dont think this will cut it. Or, maybe it will and I should just toss a good scope on it and start shooting.

Other than that I had a few in mind. Are these good shooters out of the box? Will they be any better than my 10-22 ?

CZ457
Ruger Precision
Savage B22

Thanks in advance
Old 05-03-2021, 07:59 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Lithgow 101A
Old 05-03-2021, 08:14 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
CZ 457, yes better.
Ruger precision, no , not better.
Savage B , maybe?

1/2 inch groups at 50 yards , the CZ and some CCI Sv , all day long.

The Ruger Precision comes with a 20 moa rail, youll be lucky if you can zero it at 50 yards. Plus as cool as it is, it has a several design flaws, that can make it a pia.

The Savage , yup, if you get a good barrel. Something happened with their barrel supplier and while you heard goods things in the past, not so much now.

The 1022, maybe , but most likely its going to need some tweaking, and some diy, or plug and play parts , or combination thereof.

$1000 , if I was spending it, Send the 1022 of to CPC , for the works, trigger, bolt and chamber cut, cleaning hole, and proper reassembly. $200 http://ct-precision.com/1022rework.html

Good glass , rail, and rings. $300. A Mueller 8 x 32 x 44, a vq rail , and tac vector rings

A front rest and a rear bag, $100 all you can get for this is a caldwell rock, but it works.

A better stock, maybe $100, if yoys is wood, use it it. If not a, hogue or a magpul will work great.

A brick or two of good ammo $200.Sk , Eley, Wolf, 40 grain lrn, SV.

And $100 in reserve, in case CPC says you need a new barrel, or something extra.
If you want a bull barrel , buy it before you send the gun off to CPC
This one is good
http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchan...egory_Code=R1A

Then buy a bolt from cpc.
And a trigger kit from kid, https://www.ebay.com/itm/29395692804...gAAOSwG-1Wxysh
Or VQ https://www.ebay.com/itm/22443167739...53.m1438.l2649

Then put it altogether yourself. Watch youtube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2021, 09:04 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
If you have a 10/22, just buy a Kidd barrel and trigger. You'll be well under $1K and you can spend the rest on decent quality ammunition. Those components have done well for many folks here. I like CZ's, but my own experience is that a Kidd barrel is, in general, a much higher grade component than any but the most accurate CZ factory barrel. And of course, you have to do your part.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:44 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
A few years ago I bought my 1st (only thus far) 10/22 used.
I'd been reading up here.....
Then I bought a few parts, then more.....
It didnt take long and I had more $ in it all than a lower end CZ would have cost and still didnt have the accuracy.
Coulda, shoulda, woulda done the CPC thing but I hadnt settled on a barrel to send.
I made the too common mistake of not focusing on the final form I wanted it to be; so I can morph it into 3 completely different styles of 'plinker/fun gun'. All for more than a CZ, what a deal
So, thats me.
You need to 1st decide if you really want this envisioned '50yd rimfire challenge' gun to be a semi-auto or bolt. The details/options will become clear after that.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:05 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
A bolt gun is more inherently accurate than a semi auto gun. Why? Just less mechanical movement. Tighter tolerances on the bolt. All the gas going one direction.

But , the issue is the $1000 limit. A CZ 457 MTR costs $700, and the glass and rail and rings at least $300.

So wheres the money for the rest , bag and ammo?

Add $500 and , yes, id take the CZ over a tricked up 1022.

When you buy a CZ, non MTR, std barrel, the first thing you start thinking about , is a new varmint barrel. Its just like a 1022, only more expensive.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:38 AM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My bad, to clarify, the $1000 was just a ballpark number for the rifle alone.

You all posted some good things to consider.

I did think about upgrading the current 10/22 but was wanting to avoid the scenario gcrank pointed out..
"Then I bought a few parts, then more.....
It didnt take long and I had more $ in it all than a lower end CZ would have cost "

My current 10-22 is semi auto and it seems I should move to a bolt action rifle.

Im sure there are also other rifles that would fit the bill, I just named 3 to get started. Thank you Toomany22s for that great bit of info and part suppliers.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:00 PM
mkprz
US Army Veteran Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfirerobbo View Post
Please move if I posted incorrectly. Long time lurker 1st post.
Looking for all you "experienced pros" for recommendations.

The 50yd rimfire challenge bug has hit me so now I need to get out my wallet

I have a Ruger 10-22 but dont think this will cut it. Or, maybe it will and I should just toss a good scope on it and start shooting.

Other than that I had a few in mind. Are these good shooters out of the box? Will they be any better than my 10-22 ?

CZ457
Ruger Precision
Savage B22

Thanks in advance
grab one of these Savage MKII FVXP
https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=29200

Replace stock with Boyds Pro Varmint, add decent glass with side focus and SK Standard [+] ammo.
You're welcome.
M
Old 05-04-2021, 05:50 PM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
yeah, Im still going to be looking for a bolt action rifle.

I mean I've seen so many in the around 500-1000 range it makes my head spin.
With so many available does one really shoot THAT much better than another ?

I aim all of them the same way.
A good trigger would be nice.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:27 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Rifle Basix Triggers for a CZ

Years ago I got Rifle Basix Triggers for my CZ 452 Lux and Ultra Lux and have been very happy with those. If you get a CZ and just get a terrific trigger on it you will be as competitive as almost every rifle out there. I shoot the 50 yard iron sight bench game here on RFC and use an old Savage/Anschutz 64 and that one shoots better than the previous Anschutz 54 rifles I had, and weighs a lot less too. So some of it is luck of the draw in what you get. Good ammo is a big help. And days without much wind.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:02 PM
mikeengle01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently shot a Bergara B-14 HMR 22LR and it was shooting lights out at 100 and 200 with a 20MOA rail and vortex scope. It’s not a Vudoo but pretty close. If I were to be more into that class of shooting I would start there and work my way up. Just giving you an honest observation and personal experience from shooting one of these rifles. The stock is very McMillan without the price tag.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:25 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Cz457MTR

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"