Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:51 PM
kingshouse41225
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ruger Charger action issues

Out of the box my new charger had a horrible trigger. It would build to a point where it would just stop, then would require well over 10 pounds of pressure to break. Otherwise, it functioned flawlessly and put 50 rounds in a single hole around 3/4" at 25 yards.

I tore it apart and did some work on it. The bolt I radiused and pinned. I replaced the extractor with a VQ unit as I always do, but had some issues with this one. At first it did not fit at all - I noticed it had a "point" on the flat that fits into the bolt. I ground that off and it seemed to fit OK.

I replaced the trigger housing with an aluminum one from clark. I replaced the hammer and sear with an adjustable hammer/sear kit from Rimfire Technologies. Now I am quite happy with the trigger pull, but the safety has issues. You cannot cock the pistol with the safety on, and I think that if I grind enough off the tail of the sear to allow it to cock with the safety on. it may also fire with the safety on. In 800 rounds fired the pistol has doubled twice - but that might be a sear adjustment issue.

The biggest issue I am having is feeding issues. It is the worst with mini mags. It will literally bend them at the bullet/case junction. It feeds Federal bulk the best, but initially would jam at least 1 out of 10 times. The more rounds I put through the gun, the worse the jamming is. After the 800 rounds this pistol has diested, it jams one out of 4 rounds, and is now almost bending Federal bulk in half. This is with any magazine I use. I am thinking the jamming in caused by the extractor, but am open to suggestions.

The only other modifications I made was a switch to a power custom charging handle (for length) and I replaced the bolt stop with a buffer.

Any suggestions regarding the jamming or the safety issues would be appreciated. Going back to the factory sear is not an option at this point because the RT kit uses oversize pins and the trigger housing and trigger are now drilled out to accommodate those pins.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:04 AM
douglas34474
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Your failure to feed issue may be caused by the VQ extractor.

Look at the tip of the hook on the OEM and the VQ extractors. You will note that the OEM has the bottom of the hook with a radius and the VQ does not. The radius is there to allow the cartridge case to feed up under the hook with out snagging the case. Without it the VQ can snag the case and slow the head of the cartridge coming up and into alignment with the bore.

Try replacing the VQ with the OEM extractor and see what happens.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:11 PM
MorlyKrupt

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
the safety only works when the hammer is cocked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 08:12 PM
frog5215

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorlyKrupt View Post
the safety only works when the hammer is cocked.
Right.
Normally you can't put the safety on unless the hammer is cocked.

Sounds to me like you made too many changes at once. Besides the trigger, it ran fine before you started fooling around with the bolt, right?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:47 PM
kingshouse41225

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ok, if the safety is not supposed to work when not cocked all is fine with the trigger.

The FTF issue is definately the extractor. With the stock extractor in place it feeds fine.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:39 AM
MorlyKrupt

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I sold the one and only aftermarket extractor i have ever purchased.