Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:53 PM
df06
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Scoping an SA-22

Im aware that Leupold makes a base that bridges over the folded down rear sight on a Browning SA-22.
I prefer not to remove my sight.
Are there any other good scope base alternatives?
Thinking of a Leupold 4X, or 2-7X.
Open to recommendations.
Thanks
Old 03-22-2020, 08:10 PM
Sagittarius

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like you answered your own question as the 2-7 Leupold would work pretty well.
I would probably rather have a small red dot on the little Browning to keep the weight down but that's just me as I have other scoped 22s.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:28 AM

TPC Rating: 
97% (54)
My understanding is that he Leupold base only works with Japanese guns.It will not accommodate the large single screw found on Belgian sights.
Eye relief can be an issue with these short bases, so no less than a 2-7.
I like the early slender Browning/Redfield bases, but they can be hard to find at a reasonable price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 10:54 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would like the older 3/4" scopes but never can find one at the glass is clear enough. I did not want the bigger 1" scopes I feel they kind of over whelm the rifle. So I ended up going with the Tasco 2x7-20 3/4" tube scope. Yes they are very cheap but mine works very well on this rifle. I also have one on a 1955 Marlin 39A Mountie.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:06 PM
Brazos

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I went to the NRA convention in Dallas a few years back and the was a guy there that had nice 3/4 tube 4x scopes for the SA-22. They were a replica of the old Weavers or Redfields (cant remember). I tried to buy one but their CC machine was down. It was the perfect size for an SA-22. Him and his wife were real nice. I believe they were out of Oklahoma. The name of his company was Buzz-Bee or something like that. My be worth a look.

I found the website: https://www.grubee.net/collections/riflescope
Old 03-24-2020, 06:49 AM

TPC Rating: 
97% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos View Post
I went to the NRA convention in Dallas a few years back and the was a guy there that had nice 3/4 tube 4x scopes for the SA-22. They were a replica of the old Weavers or Redfields (cant remember). I tried to buy one but their CC machine was down. It was the perfect size for an SA-22. Him and his wife were real nice. I believe they were out of Oklahoma. The name of his company was Buzz-Bee or something like that. My be worth a look.

If I were to re-scope mine, I'd probably buy one of these.The only gloss offering out there. It will require one of the older style Redfield/Browning grooved scope mount bases.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:34 PM
berettaprofessor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not aware about the problems with the Belgium-made rifles that Camster referred to, but I have the Leupold base, dovetail rings, and scopes on both of my Japan-made SA-22's; one a Leupold 2-7, the other a 4X32 Bushnell. Eye relief is fine for both.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:31 AM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some of these cantilever mounts are shorter than others. My Weaver is too short to get proper eye relief and I had to go to the Browning one
Old 03-27-2020, 08:38 AM
kaynine

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos View Post

FWIW: If you go to the site, you'll notice that they also have a good selection of 3/4" and 7/8" scopes rings for 3/8",11mm,weaver,etc.bases and they're not near as costly as finding an original set of 3/4" Redfield rings.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:02 PM
df06

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Scope SA22

I ended up with the cantilever base that bridges the rear sight, Leupold dual dove tail low rings and a Leupold rimfire 2-7. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet. Wish the scope was 1-2 rearward.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:04 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (246)
Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
I ended up with the cantilever base that bridges the rear sight, Leupold dual dove tail low rings and a Leupold rimfire 2-7. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet. Wish the scope was 1-2 rearward.
I tried the same and found the eye relief to be a problem. If i tried to gain the needed eye relief, the front ring wouldn't allow the bell clearance. My solution with the Leupold base and rings was a Leupold VX-1 1-4x.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3848.jpg (63.9 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3849.jpg (56.8 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3850.jpg (54.4 KB, 224 views)
Old 04-19-2020, 10:14 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
I ended up with the cantilever base that bridges the rear sight, Leupold dual dove tail low rings and a Leupold rimfire 2-7. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet. Wish the scope was 1-2” rearward.
I tried the same and found the eye relief to be a problem. If i tried to gain the needed eye relief, the front ring wouldn't allow the bell clearance. My solution with the Leupold base and rings was a Leupold VX-1 1-4x.

Doug

That....is just simply beautiful ❤️
Old 04-22-2020, 07:12 AM

TPC Rating: 
97% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
If I were to re-scope mine, I'd probably buy one of these.The only gloss offering out there. It will require one of the older style Redfield/Browning grooved scope mount bases.
I read the reviews in the scope section below.
....I won't be buying one. Better optics than the originals and some design improvements, but some quirks and less than wonderful build quality.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:49 PM
Dan35

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question SA-22 scope mounting solution for 58 wheel model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
My understanding is that he Leupold base only works with Japanese guns.It will not accommodate the large single screw found on Belgian sights.
Eye relief can be an issue with these short bases, so no less than a 2-7.
I like the early slender Browning/Redfield bases, but they can be hard to find at a reasonable price.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO, for the earlier model SA-22, do you just find rings that mount directly to the groves on top of the receiver? Surely it cannot be that simple, can it???
Old 04-27-2020, 05:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
97% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan35 View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO, for the earlier model SA-22, do you just find rings that mount directly to the groves on top of the receiver? Surely it cannot be that simple, can it???
Yes, for the earlier ones with a grooved receiver, it is that simple.
You might lose zero after take down, which is why they moved scope mounting to barrel circa 1966- 1967.