Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:59 AM
TAS_

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
rebarrel 90s 1827f?

this past week i purchased an older anschutz which from the stock style I can only assume is the 1990s model. I have not had a chance to properly shoot it yet, the gunstore sales guy did mention it was previously used as a team rifle. Assuming its use was likely quite heavy and without knowing how long it may have been in use for out of this many years, would it be a good idea to consider rebarreling the rifle?

I will post pictures of the crown, bolt face and action once I get home, checking for the typical carbon ring may be difficult.

Additionally I have to wonder whether such an old 1827f is worth shooting or better used as a display, clearly I have little experience with Anschutz 22s.

Advice and suggestions are appreciated. Personally it feels excellent ergonomically and it is beautiful!
Old 03-02-2020, 08:17 AM
wallyworldmudhen

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
older anschutz

Look it over carefully and shoot it for a while before considering. You may find you have a gem.
My experiences with older Anschutz have mostly been quite positive.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:26 AM

TPC Rating: 
97% (54)
Shoot it first, or better yet, have a very experienced shooter try it.
Odds that it needs a rebarrel should be slim.
Not a display item in my book, but that's up to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2020, 10:05 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How much accuracy do you want? Yes, it's possible that a 20yo Anschutz is no longer shooting at its best, accuracy can deteriorate with heavy use. I would clean it very thoroughly, as team rifles aren't always maintained perfectly: use a bronze brush and solvent for the barrel, and be prepared for several cycles of brushing at patching. For a standard 18/19xx 54 I'd recommend replacing the bolt springs, but I don't know how sturdy the springs in a Fortner are. If the price is comparable to a 19xx spring, you have nothing to lose.

Once it is clean and serviced, test fire with good quality ammo. If the groups don't meet your expectations/needs then consult a competent gunsmith. You might get away with recrowning before a new barrel.

Last edited by tim slater; 03-02-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:42 AM
TAS_

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
how possible would it be to return it to its best?
Old 03-02-2020, 10:55 AM
TAS_

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
or rather would there be wear on the receiver and trigger group that would require them to be replaced apart from the barrel wear? such as the sear engagement due to material loss from use?

kind of a silly question but what would an 1827f really be worth in a not so great not so bad condition as im wondering if i obviously overpayed..
Old 03-02-2020, 11:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, the 5018 trigger can wear. A friend had to replace the catch: the rifle had come from a GB International shooter, and had seen a lot of use. Triggers from the early 1980s can lose adjustment when the crosspins work lose: Anschutz later changed the retention from epoxy to circlips.

Start by cleaning the trigger thoroughly. Wear seems to show in the adjustment. So if it's crisp after cleaning, you're good.

As for the action, again clean thoroughly and lubricate where needed.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:45 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You really need to shot the rifle before you make any assumptions. Some barrels are accurate with 100,000s of rounds through them. If you find it does not shoot accurately, there are a number of things to check. Most loss of accuracy occurs from erosion in the throat area of the barrel. I would check that area first with a bore scope. If the problem is in the throat, the barrel can be re-cut and re- chambered. You should also check the crown. That too can be re-cut if it is contributing to inaccuracy.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:56 PM
TAS_

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ok
I am definitely going shoot it this weekend from a vice!
most of my concern comes from whether ive made a solid purchase or a rifle past its prime that cant be returned to it.

now Im likely not capable of shooting to the guns maximum potential but id still like to know its me wiffing the shots and not the rifle.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:13 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAS_ View Post
ok
I am definitely going shoot it this weekend from a vice!
most of my concern comes from whether ive made a solid purchase or a rifle past its prime that cant be returned to it.

now Im likely not capable of shooting to the guns maximum potential but id still like to know its me wiffing the shots and not the rifle.
Shoot it first before giving in to worry. You don't say what you paid for the 1990's rifle. It may be a solid purchase even if it's not performing as a new rifle. I've had club rifles from the late 1960's and early 1970's that looked well-used but still shot well -- very well for what I paid for them. The triggers on these rifles were without issue.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:50 PM
TAS_

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ive taken the rifle out twice now ive shot it prone supported off a backpack as well as standing and kneeling, no chance for a bench rest shot until the snow fully melts. i am incredibly impressed! i dont think there are issues with the barrel or action that have significance at my shooting level.

i do have an issue with the sights... to hit where im aiming at 25 m i have to move the rear diopter sight almost all the way way to the left. almost all the way being may e 5 clicks away from the stop. is there anyway i can fix that?
Old 03-20-2020, 03:03 PM

TPC Rating: 
97% (54)
Do something to adjust the front sight?
Old 03-20-2020, 03:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If my memory serves me right, an 1827 foresight fits via a barrel band? Is there any way to rotate this slightly to the right?
Old 03-30-2020, 04:09 PM
TAS_

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
perhaps there would be a better way to fix this as I think that would induce aiming issues at different distances?

what could be the cause of the problem of having to adjust the rear sight windage that far ?
Old 03-30-2020, 04:19 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAS_ View Post
perhaps there would be a better way to fix this as I think that would induce aiming issues at different distances?

what could be the cause of the problem of having to adjust the rear sight windage that far ?
One cause could be that the front sight is misaligned and needs adjustment.