vintage vs. new - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:36 AM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
vintage vs. new

I have been shopping around for a new .22 mag. I was checking the older mossberg "chucksters" etc. They are asking about the same or more than I can get a new CZ or Ruger for. I used to have a Marlin 25M I wish I had kept. It had a harsh trigger, but today I could have dropped in a new one. That would have been a great rifle.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Macc
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
I had a Mossberg Chuckster, and it was a good rifle for the cost. I never tried working on the trigger and it was pretty heavy. I have CZ's, and Rugers and other wmr's...love that round. FWIW, I sold my Chuckster and would have a very hard time selling my Ruger and CZ's. Right now, the guns I reach for most often is my CZ 512 wmr or my Biathlon Basic in wmr. My Ruger and Winchester maggies are too pretty for me to take out for everyday use.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:21 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
Thanks Macc, I am leaning toward the Ruger American predator style. It has the HB and the rail already on it. I still have about 450 rds of 22 mag, Last time I had one I did well with the Fed 50grn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2017, 09:57 AM
Macc
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
My daughter has an RAR in lr. It has been a great gun and loves most ammo. I've read some had to do more work on their RAR triggers, but hers easily adjusted to a nice crisp 3.5lb pull. Here's a pic of her RAR.

Most of my wmr's like the Hornady 30gr and old lot Win. 34 gr's, and the Remington green tips. I haven't tried the new Win. 34gr's to know if they are as good as the old lots I have. Most of mine do pretty well, but not great, with the Win. 40gr JHP's...my Marlins loved those, but I don't have my Marlins any more. I usually sort my ammo by weight and that shrinks the groups by as much as half at 100yds.