VQ Bolt gets dirty fast - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-15-2005, 01:59 PM
MinusB
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question VQ Bolt gets dirty fast

I posted this in the 10/22 action thread, but was steered in this direction. Please read the original post here:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...764#post702764

So far, I have to clean out everything regarding the bolt's operation at LEAST every 100 rounds or I'm guaranteed light strikes and FTE's. Any more often than that is just tedious, but nearly necessary. I've put more rounds through it since posting that the first time, with the same results - after about 10 magazines, it starts acting up. I followed a break-in procedure for my barrel, and even though the consensus is 50/50 on the issue, I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Is it really just the nature of my close-tolerance parts, and something I'll have to learn to cope with? What, other than using match ammo all the time, do you recommend? Do you think the barrel needs more break-in time? Do you think the moving parts (ala the bolt) needs more break-in time?

Thank you in advance!
Old 06-22-2005, 11:56 AM
vepr762
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
I have a 22lr Standard. I called VQ to find out what needed to be cleaned, break-in, etc when it arrived. Here is what they told me;

"Pull a patch through it and start shooting. It comes lubed and ready to shoot. Clean the barrel every 200-300 rounds. Clean the action when it starts to gunk up and take it completely down every 2500 rounds or so."

I've gone through a brick and a half of Wolf MT and have cleaned the barrel 4 times and cleaned the action twice using Q-tips, a little Break Free, and M Pro-7 without taking it completely apart . No FTF, FTE, or any problems at all. When it starts to feel "gritty" I clean the action. The rifle is definitely a "one-hole" shooter. I only wish I had a T-24 or T-36 instead of a V-16 on it.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Jacob_.17

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Vq Tight Tolerences

Hey Minus B,
I own a VQ Fusion and love it but I experience the same problem. I have 10 mags and around the 9th-10th mag I begin experiencing FTE's so I sum it up to be the tight tolerences. One barrel, the .22 WMR had more jamming and so sent it back to get checked out and VQ just gave me a new barrel. That's rare these days. Thanks VQ!!

As for ammo I only shoot Hornady 17 HMR .17gr. and 20gr. and for .22 WMR it's primarily Winchester Supreme and Remington Premium 33gr. which I find a bit dirty compared to Winchester but still shoots well. This is top shelf ammo, as they say, and I still get the same results after 10 or so mags. I just use a tooth brush and some OTIS dry solvent/ lubricant or Break Free and clean off the bolt face and all then it's back to normal. Good to know other people are experiencing the same issues as I have been through when it coms to VQ rifles. I do not find it to be a design flaw just tight tolerences from a tight and well made rifle.
Thanks all,
Jacob_7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2005, 12:43 AM
MinusB
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been a while since I've been in the VQ forum...

Nic and Scott both saw my post here and emailed me so we could figure the problem out. Nic sent me two different springs: the original and a much heavier spring, trying to eliminate the possibility of the action cycling too fast; which was my original conclusion. Since I *had* polished everything to work more smoothly (which it does, btw. It's like silk!), I was worried that I eliminated some all-too-necessary friction, which may have slowed the bolt down.

In truth, the real reason the bolt was getting dirty so fast, was that my barrel was not in correct alignment with the bolt, causing an improper seal around it, which allowed gasses to leak past, as well as many failures to eject; which I blamed on the dirt. As well, since it got dirty VERY fast, FTF's were more common. Once I worked the alignment issue out, the crud accumulation came at a much more normal rate. True, the tighter tolerances hold me to a more strict schedule of cleaning (roughly every 300-500), as well as keeping me using better ammo (it hates bulk), but then again, anyone with a match barrel should be doing this anyway.

However, even though I was able to get the dirtiness to get on par with a normal rifle, I was still getting very frequent FTF's - even with a freshly cleaned gun. I'm glad I'm not a nail-biter, otherwise I'd have chewed through my knuckles!!! I found out that VQ used a very light hammer in the TG2000's that just wasn't cutting it, especially with the light titanium firing pin in the VQ bolt; there just isn't enough kinetic energy being delivered to the primer rim with that. They've since sent me a much heavier hammer that fires 796 out of 800.

I chalk all this up to my inexperience, as well as a combination of parts destined to improper action. The bonus is that I've gained MUCHO ka-knowledge, as well as tightened the groups out of my rifle, knowing how to tune it to such a high state. As they say, "nothing is bolt on".
Old 09-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Rowdy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MB, was wondering about how the barrel on yours was not lined up so well? This one of the threaded barrels or the Fusion types or the 10/22 fit ups?