Wadda maroon - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wadda maroon

putz lathe operator. The scratches at 10:00-11:00 and 6:00 didn't appear to ride into the bore so I'll tidy it up rather than send it back. If it doesn't shoot then it'll go back. For those with, or without, accuracy problems you might want to double check your crown close up. Camera/computer zoom comes in handy for checking for burrs and whatnot.
No time to shoot today, major blizzard tonight n tomorrow. I did score 150 more rounds of 20 grn ammo tonight….set for life.

Proven Tasco 6-24
Old 04-04-2014, 07:56 AM
Steve in IN
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Are those all scratches. At first glance, some look like metal slivers sticking out.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in IN View Post
Are those all scratches. At first glance, some look like metal slivers sticking out.
Scratches, I gave the muzzle a few swipes with a dry rag to get the drilling, reaming, hammer forging, oil, gunk off to get a better view of the Savage "autograph". Don't you hate it when you're not the one to put the first scratch on your brand new toy or car?
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 09:11 AM
WHO DAT 504

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Man that's a rough lookin crown. Looks good with the Tasco up top. Didn't I see that one pull duty on your 597?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah on rough! Looks like that burr at 5 o'clock could be a problem.

Great post, Al!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 AM
ultramag44
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
NOT a hater...

Savage IS my centerfire rifle of choice.

Savage rimfires are another story. If they simply took steps to corrected clearly identified problems in production, then guys would not have a ligitamate case to make. Sadly, the crowns don't seem to be getting better, the mags still are a poor design and many mags don't work right out of the box. Firing pin indent is still weak. Receivers are still being D&T'ed off-center for scope bases. Factory supplied scope bases are a waste of aluminum (with chintzy screws).

Right! There is not a huge profit margin in .22/.17 rimfire rifles compared to their high quality centerfires. However, if they looked what we willingly pay for older, classic .22 bolt guns, which, when in production, were standard fare, they might realize putting a little more quality into the product, and passing on the cost won't hurt the sales figures.

It's true there are new or very casual shooters that only care if it goes "bang" and they are happy if, @ 50 yards, it can keep all the rounds on the paper plate they nicked from mamma's pantry supply.

Most of us want a bit more.

Our club Match Director bought a BMag from the gun show. It sprayed the target @ 50 yards.

Last edited by ultramag44; 04-04-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:47 PM
rimfirenut

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Looks on par with what Savage has done to promote the 17 wsm..
Old 04-04-2014, 02:21 PM
ejk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hope it shoots good for you AL. I just can't understand why this B Mag production has been so prone to lack of final inspection flaws that get by . A friend of mine just went to pick up his newly ordered heavy barrel and declined from buying it because of the crown . The shop owner is sending it back .
Old 04-04-2014, 02:45 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Shop Supervisor says..."Crank em' out Boyz"
Old 04-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHO DAT 504 View Post
Man that's a rough lookin crown. Looks good with the Tasco up top. Didn't I see that one pull duty on your 597?
Good eye WHO. The Tabasco scope has been my go to scope for wringing the best I can squeeze out of a new gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Shop Supervisor says..."Crank em' out Boyz"
I think you pretty much nailed it Chaser. Why waste time looking for flaws they got to waste more time fixing eh?

No pix but I got the burrs and the edge of the scratch ground out to my satisfaction with a customized phillips brass screw and 600 grit.

The little bit I could tell about the bore without a borescope is it has lands and grooves and it definitely isn't choked at the muzzle.

Thanks for the well wishes guys, fingers crossed the first new Savage is a passable shooter.

For what its worth the wife's new Buck Mark pistol crown looked good from a distance but it too had a lot of small burrs on the crown that needed tidying up.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:54 AM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
If I put that nice crown on a barrel I would initial it! Mark your best work?
Old 04-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Gareth
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hope it's a shooter Al, but that crown looks rough. Savage needs to slow down in my opinion and get it right.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:08 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
I hope it's a shooter Al, but that crown looks rough. Savage needs to slow down in my opinion and get it right.
THIS Crankin' out goods is NOT the answer...getting real quality out the door is what we all seek...they should as well. Seems quantity is more important..meeting quotas. That is what is wrong. At this point Mfgs. seem to build in/anticipate the return rate.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:47 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
I would be insulted if you called me a maroon! Your next Savage rifle would be a lemon for sure!!!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:17 AM
Gareth
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
THIS Crankin' out goods is NOT the answer...getting real quality out the door is what we all seek...they should as well. Seems quantity is more important..meeting quotas. That is what is wrong. At this point Mfgs. seem to build in/anticipate the return rate.

I think you are right Chaser they are more interested in chasing the money, than satisfying the customer.

As Savage are the only ones producing a bolt action repeater they have a monopoly at the moment. Hopefully others will step forward and offer some real competition.