Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:07 PM
Hippy

TPC Rating: 
78% (5)
Angry

I don't Fur hunt now as much as I had 20-25 years ago is but on Fox size game the 22 Mag was very inconsistent when calling at nite we lost 20-25 % because of runoffs never taking shots more that 75 yds- @ that time Reds were bringing as much as $150.00

Switching to the 5MM changed everything as the run off rate was less that 5 % out to 100 yds

I believe it was the construction of the bullets as there was a very few to choose from- with the advent of the "Tipped" bullets it would make sense to be a better choice.

Jim
Old 02-27-2020, 06:09 PM
HGWT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
A lot of people think the 22 wmr is the ideal survival gun. Ammo is light, not bulky, fairly powerful and virtually no recoil. I understand it is or was a favorite round with poachers. A good lever gun would be fairly fast. I dont know if I would trust a semi auto but a KelTec CMR 30 would be a nasty SD weapon if it were proven reliable. A bolt action would be the most reliable and easiest to maintain in field conditions.
I have both 22 and 22 WMR in semi-auto format. They are Savage A22 and they work just fine. Little more than 1000 rounds through and still tack drivers. Just as good as my Rugers.
What I would really like now is the AR platform in 22 WMR. Hope some of you manufacturers hear this!
Old 02-27-2020, 10:44 PM
BadgerJack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Federal makes a 50 grain hollow point that is very destructive on pests. It will decimate a Coyote, and I imagine it can do a number on a two legged pest, not that I have had that need...

I have several .22 Magnum rifles and handguns, and IF I had to "git gone" in a hurry, and weight was a problem, I would grab 500 rounds of the Federal 50 grain, one rifle, a PMR-30 with 5 loaded mags, and a High Standard Derringer, and I would feel safe.

Then again, I have been shooting a .22 Mag for the better part of 45+ years, so...
Old 02-28-2020, 12:11 AM
toivo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
I suppose one could go with a 9mm combo.
Pistol and carbine with common magazines.
You rang?

Ruger PCC and Glock 26. Not my picture, but I have the same set-up.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:43 AM
JGR_LV
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Define "lethal"

A .22LR is, statistically the most lethal round to get hit with, but unless you hit an attacker in the head with it, it may not stop him in time to do you any good. Same goes for a .22 WMR, a .25 ACP and several other popular small-gun rounds. As somebody else said, there are better choices.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:17 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGR_LV View Post
A .22LR is, statistically the most lethal round to get hit with, but unless you hit an attacker in the head with it, it may not stop him in time to do you any good. Same goes for a .22 WMR, a .25 ACP and several other popular small-gun rounds. As somebody else said, there are better choices.
I think the statistic is that is the most common. If more people are shot with it, more people will die, not because the round is inherently more lethal than, say a 9mm, but because it is more popular and there is a bigger number set. At least that's how I have always understood that statistic.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:53 AM
kjruofl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have paired my Marlin 1894m lever gun with a Heritage rough rider 9 shot magnum cylinder. Same theory as above poster who states only carry one type of ammo.
The Marlin has an old scope and have had it for years. Just recently got the Heritage. Immediately removed the ugly red cocobolo grips and installed walnut checkered target grips, so my furniture matches.
I'd take that pairing with me if needed to get away. But the Mossberg shockwave would come along also. With as many mini slugs I could grab.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:40 AM
bobnoffs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
well, this is about a pistol not a rifle but very interesting.
i once had a patient in the icu rhat was shot in the chest by a .22 mag pistol at point blank range. the bullet exited the back. the bullet penetrated the heart muscle completely and missed opening up the wound to the ventricle by 1/8''.patient would have been doa if it pierced the chamber.
interesting is that 6 or 7 days later the patient had a totally normal echo cardiogram. normal heart function.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:28 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is a major fall off of velocity in the short barrels. A 5" barrel gets some decent ballistics but it falls rapidly after that. A 40 grain 22 mag in a 2" barrel is no better than a Velociter in a 2" barrel.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:43 PM
LecturerRich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

When I was a kid .22 mag was common as dirt as was .22LR, but while I still see a lot of .22lr I don't see that much .22 mag around. So from a pure availability stand point I am going with .22LR.

That said if someone was to give me a .22 mag I would be happy to stock up on it
Old 02-28-2020, 07:45 PM
RMoran
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGWT View Post
What I would really like now is the AR platform in 22 WMR. Hope some of you manufacturers hear this!
That's what I was gonna post. A S&W 15/22 in 22mag would be pretty cool
Old 02-28-2020, 11:01 PM
Mickbr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy View Post
I don't Fur hunt now as much as I had 20-25 years ago is but on Fox size game the 22 Mag was very inconsistent when calling at nite we lost 20-25 % because of runoffs never taking shots more that 75 yds- @ that time Reds were bringing as much as $150.00

Switching to the 5MM changed everything as the run off rate was less that 5 % out to 100 yds

I believe it was the construction of the bullets as there was a very few to choose from- with the advent of the "Tipped" bullets it would make sense to be a better choice.

Jim
Do you mean run off as in took a little time to die, or never recovered the animal at all? If the latter, no offence but 25% is an awful lot to lose for professional shooting, to be honest even 5% is too much. you really wound 1 in 20 animals you shoot at under100 yards.??

Last edited by Mickbr; 02-28-2020 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:13 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I was disappointed by the Kel-Tec CMR and PMR pair, so I sold them. But I already had a mountain of ammo for them. Saw a good deal on a Henry lever action in .22WMR, which I had always wanted anyway. Got consistent hits on a 2" steel spinner out to 100 yards, with open sights. I cannot argue with that accuracy, and it totally justifies my need for the S&W 648 as a companion revolver.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:41 AM
bam-bam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IIRC .22 magnum from a 16" barrel has the same range of muzzle energy as 9mm from a 4-5" barrel.

My Ruger American Compact Ranch rifle in .22 mag would IMO make a good survival rifle. With a couple of boxes of CCI 40 gr.

Short light and a 9 round magazine.

Last edited by bam-bam; 04-01-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:42 AM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

NOLA Nawlins The Big Easy The Crescent City On the Banks of The Muddy Mississippi
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
While I agree with this concept of a .22 mag for survival, I think I'd rather have .30 carbine.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.