Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:09 PM
bajasam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
69A frt sight options

Greetings, Have what I think to be a post-war target 69A that was bought thru the CMP program along with a Garand back in the 90's.Its been sitting in the safe for over 20years,now I have a granson who I'm starting to take shooting since he likes it so much(8yr old).From all I've read I'm sure the front sight is wrong. I guess whats on there is called a globe sight.Kinda looks like a little anti-aircraft sight when you look thru it.I have seen only one other picture of a 69a with a globe sight on this forum so I assume it was put on at a later date, does this sound correct.The rear sight is a #80 peep sight. The front sight is also mounted via a dovetail cut, and what should be mounted up front in a post-war 69A. Thx for any and all help. Baja

Last edited by bajasam; 03-30-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:39 PM
buckndee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
With pictures we can give accurate info for you.

If it chambered in .22 L Rifle it's a target.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:57 PM
LarDaBear
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
That globe sight on the front should be correct for a 69A with the 80A rear sight.
Also,a LOT of people mistakenly call the 69A's with these sights a Target model,but as I've learned here they are NOT a true 69A Target model,just a 69A with the 80A and (I forget the Winchester number for the front sight) and a Winchester globe front sight.
I'm sure if/when JWA sees this he'll confirm it.
Meanwhile pictures would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2020, 10:04 PM
XLIV

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sounds like a standard 69a with a Lyman 17a or a Redfield globe. Each have inserts (disks) to change the front sight picture. Is there any chrome on the rifle? Bolt or trigger? Is the receiver grooved for a scope? Its a nice rifle you have there. I doubt they were available from CMP however.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:18 PM
LarDaBear

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Might be the factory 97A.
Check this thread,2nd post with photos even though the threads about a Winchester 68 this sight is the same for the 69A.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=344870

bajasam,is this the front sight your rifle has?
Old 03-31-2020, 10:48 AM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarDaBear View Post
Might be the factory 97A.
Check this thread,2nd post with photos even though the threads about a Winchester 68 this sight is the same for the 69A.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=344870

bajasam,is this the front sight your rifle has?
I have never seen a globe front sight factory installed on a M69-A. The 80-A is usually paired with the M97-A and # 3280 sight hood. It may look like a globe, but it is not. The OP may have the M17-A or the Refield globe as alluded to by 44. Big Larry
Old 03-31-2020, 01:51 PM
LarDaBear

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Larry View Post
I have never seen a globe front sight factory installed on a M69-A. The 80-A is usually paired with the M97-A and # 3280 sight hood. It may look like a globe, but it is not. The OP may have the M17-A or the Redfield globe as alluded to by 44. Big Larry
Larry,I guess I said 'globe' as per his original post instead of hood.I think we may have gotten the point across to him though.If he comes back here maybe he'll post a pic so we can see exactly what he meant.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:31 PM
bajasam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No, It's not the hooded cover for a blade sight. I'm an amatuer for sure,but very familiar with guns.Never new it was called a globe sight until I saw one on this forum that looks exactly like mine,although I couldn't see inside his sight as his pics were only side view.I can repeat all the things I've seen on this site that led me to my opinion as I'm sure youv'e heard them 100 times.It's stamped on barrel M69A,L.Rifle(only),no rear sight cut on barrel,straight blue bolt,smooth blue trigger+gaurd,#80 rear peep sight(not sure on exact designation),6 grv rifleing,sling swivel both ends(no sling),5 rd mag,flushhead stock screw,and the globe sight which I guess is owner added.My thoughts are my granson would shoot better with the blade sight rather than this globe sight,and so much the better that the blade sight would be what originally was on it.I can text pictures and I can email pic's but after reading your site instructions on how to download photo's was far above my IT skills.Beings that its in such beautiful conditon,if it shoots well I'll keep it for him when he gets a little older, he cant quite hold it up and sight it yet. Thx On pg#3 of win forum,post#5 by Jimmy1256 the first picture is the same frt sight as mine.

Last edited by bajasam; 03-31-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:33 PM
3Dub

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's a Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajasam View Post
stamped on barrel M69A,L.Rifle(only),
no rear sight cut on barrel,
straight blue bolt,
smooth blue trigger+gaurd,
#80 rear peep sight (not sure on exact designation),
6 grv rifleing,
sling swivel both ends(no sling),..
Target rifle with the 93A shark fin front sight swapped out for the globe sight - owner added....

I have seen pictures of many JTSSes with a globe front sight instead of the 93A......
Old 03-31-2020, 05:25 PM
JWA

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dub View Post
Target rifle with the 93A shark fin front sight swapped out for the globe sight - owner added....

I have seen pictures of many JTSSes with a globe front sight instead of the 93A......
Yep, I was flying today and 3Dub beat me to it.

Probably my last flight for awhile, there were 12 people on the 737 and 8 were crew (5 flight crew and 3 deadheads heading to work). The mail did not pay the fuel on that flight.

Crazy times we are in........

Best Regards,
Old 03-31-2020, 09:28 PM
bajasam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool, Thx for the definitive answer, I guess I'll be on the hunt for a 93 Sharkfin now. Also learned from this forum rear site is the #80B with the .040 peep. Man I don't think there's anybody at the winchester factory that knows half the info on this site.Thx again Baja
Old 03-31-2020, 10:52 PM
LarDaBear

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The Winchester 69A with the 80A and the 97A with the 3280 hood was not cut for a barrel sight either.I have three of them like I just described.
Me thinks someone replaced the 97A front sight with a Lyman or other globe sight and the 93 'sharkfin' may not be the correct sight for that rifle.
IIRC the JTSS didn't have the 80A ,I'm kinda sure it had the receiver dovetailed for the other Winchester peep sight,didn't it?
Photos would tell for sure.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:17 PM
Area51guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 69/69A sights

I have a Winchester Model 69 (pre A) with a Lyman 17A front sight that uses interchangeable inserts and a Lyman 78 (I think) rear target peep sight. Works great. The front sight fit right into the stock dovetail cut into the barrel.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:37 AM
3Dub

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarDaBear View Post

IIRC the JTSS didn't have the 80A ,I'm kinda sure it had the receiver dovetailed for the other Winchester peep sight,didn't it?
The JTSS receiver was grooved for tipoff scopes but used the Lyman 57EW receiver-mounted rear sight.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:16 AM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dub View Post
The JTSS receiver was grooved for tipoff scopes but used the Lyman 57EW receiver-mounted rear sight.
Rear vew of a drippy mint JTSS. One of my favorites. Big Larry