Old 03-29-2020, 11:06 PM
scooter22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
That was always the rumor, and probably true. The adjacent airstrip (Army) had one of the longest runways around, and the flight path often took them right over our house and they didn't seem that high even though we were about 10+ miles away as the crow flies.

Lots of stuff headed to VN and Europe from there no doubt. A lot of local jobs were lost when they closed it up. Mostly white deer and a max security jail there now.
A good friend was in the AF back in the 80s. He was in security and stationed at Griffiss guarding the B-52s on the ready pads 24/7. Seneca army depot was an ideal place to store "special weapons". It was in a deep valley with a lake that ran north/south. So if any thing went "boom" the blast would directed up and N/S of the valley. Not E/W along the Thruway corridor where the major upstate cites are. The White Deer are now an attraction. They are not albinos, but a genetic variation. Years ago you could apply for a limited permit to hun them but I think now thay are protected. Thats a beautiful piece of land in the very expensive Finger Lakes region. There are many homes well into the millions of dollars there.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:09 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I didn't know we VN vets had our own day. I don't understand why it's needed. I do send my best to all my VN vet bros here on the site. & please, don't thank me for my service.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:15 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimfireFun View Post
I didn't know we VN vets had our own day. I don't understand why it's needed. I do send my best to all my VN vet bros here on the site. & please, don't thank me for my service.
I think this is a recent occurance. I celebrate it by getting up and going to work.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:24 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
Seneca army depot was an ideal place to store "special weapons". It was in a deep valley with a lake that ran north/south. So if any thing went "boom" the blast would directed up and N/S of the valley. Not E/W along the Thruway corridor where the major upstate cites are. The White Deer are now an attraction. They are not albinos, but a genetic variation. Years ago you could apply for a limited permit to hun them but I think now thay are protected. Thats a beautiful piece of land in the very expensive Finger Lakes region. There are many homes well into the millions of dollars there.

Not to keep veering off the subject here.
But I must call BS on that analysis. The SAD sits on high ground between the two largest Finger Lakes (Seneca and Cayuga), not in any valley, which is where the lakes are thanks to non-global warming 10,000 years ago.

To bring things back to VN a little bit, the SAD is where I picked up some of my household goods after separation as a VN-era veteran.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:31 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:

I don't ever say "thank you for your service" I always go way way out of my way to say "Welcome Home" I've never had any of them ever say anything but "thank you"
Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti
Old 03-30-2020, 09:06 AM
Barksdale123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks to all for your service. I heard the sailors on the ships near the use of agent orange are available to get benefits. That is a good thing.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:26 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I didn't know we VN vets had our own day. I don't understand why it's needed.
Because its deserved of the many sacrifices we gave for brothers in arms and country that were ignored for so long.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:48 AM
oldsquid

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarDaBear View Post
My cousin Ray's name is on the Wall.
KIA 1967
RIP

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...george-hengels
Taps and hand salute for your cousin, Lar.

He will forever be remembered because he lives on the Wall.

Andy
Old 03-30-2020, 10:07 AM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Welcome home and Thank you. You VN veterans never got the welcome home and positive recognition you earned in a timely manor.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:37 AM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I served 72-76- US Army Infantry and missed going over by literally a couple days and still think about it almost every day. Met a lot of guys coming back as the last one didn't come back until late in 75... those were some toughened, and some broken souls and 90% of them simply went about their lives as though nothing had happened, including my brother (101st AB, 66-67 VN).... I wish their homecoming had been better at the time but at least they are finally getting the recognition for serving our country in the best way they could...

Bob
Old 03-30-2020, 02:13 PM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Because its deserved of the many sacrifices we gave for brothers in arms and country that were ignored for so long.
THIS! Welcome Home Marine Semper Fi Mac

Last edited by Jammer22; 03-30-2020 at 02:23 PM.