I suspect that we will be... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:50 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking I suspect that we will be...

I suspect that we will be seeing a resurgence of projects being completed that were set aside for lack of time to do them. Well at least I hope so. Been eyeballing a Hopkins & Allen that I fitted a 51M(a) barrel to that need a new stock carved for it, and a few other items resolved. Have 2 Flatbacks in progress, and those are just the ones that are close to completion. There are more, actually quite a few more!!! What can I say, I've had Mossbergitus for at least 2 decades!!! And I am an accumulator AND a procrastinator!!! Hi, My name is Frank and I have a problem... insufficient storage space, and too little play time!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:54 PM
Xrperry

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 46m/b I was thinking i might refinish the wood
Old 03-29-2020, 10:46 PM
headhunter2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Frank, I could not have said it better. My collectors card says "Accumulator"but I left off the "procrastinator" - doesn't mean I'm not just that I do not have room with the other information. I do have a few projects also but no warm shop space (old shed) and very limited storage never mind show space. - Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2020, 12:50 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (129)
So I guess I'm not the only foot dragger here after all...
Old 03-30-2020, 07:55 AM
bone

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
I wish I could say the same, but haven’t bought any project rifles in awhile. But I have plenty to keep me busy. Been repairing a lot of vintage peeps and slinging them on eBay. Most are lasting maybe a day, I guess they are gathering the needed parts to complete there projects.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:15 AM
rosscoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
No more fixin' them up for me! Time for bench rest work now. Probably have ten that I haven't even shot!
Old 03-30-2020, 04:35 PM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I also am trying not to start another project.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:58 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You mean its up to me to post the first pictures???!!!!! Well ok then!!! Top one is a Model 50, bottom one is a Model 51M. The model 50 except for the refinished stock is unaltered. The 51M had a "sporterized stock on it that I thought was poorly done so to alleviate what I considered poor contouring I cut a bit off of the front of the stock and added a "rosewood" tip. There are threads on both of these rifles, but they are buried somewhere on this forum and with the fuzzed up photo bucket pictures to boot. Pretty sure I have ALL of the parts to put these 2 rifles completely back together and get them up and running. If I can just find where I put those parts. I think the parts are in a safe in ziplock baggies but I haven't had the time to look yet. Have spent the last 3 days cleaning out the "man cave" and throwing away lots of dust collectors and space stealers as my son calls them.

A little closer view of the 2!!!

And just for grins!!! Some other projects!!! The bottom one is an 1894 Favorite, middle one is a Hopkins & Allen 922 relined to 17M2 and the top one is a 1915 Favorite!!! The 2 Favorites are staying 22 LR although with Bentz chambers!!! And all 3 are sporting stocks I carved from scratch!!!

Way too many projects!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:17 PM
Gabby8157
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
VERY nice work on those stocks. I’ve got a special place in my heart for nice old Mossbergs and Stevens Favorites. My daughter’s first rifle (at age 6) was a Stevens Favorite. I had the half round half octagon barrel relined and shortened to 16 inches. And a friend of mine, Charles Carder (of H&A fame) did the stock work from a semi fancy Fagen stock. He did a nice job but unfortunately has now passed on. Your work would be VERY acceptable (how’s that for an understatement)!
Old 04-08-2020, 09:58 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice work all. Hey, besides the pics can you also include what your finish was and how you applied it? Just so if someone is interested they can have an idea of how to get there. Now if it's a old family receipt of BLO, stain and olive oil for the flavor and rubbed in with old socks ok.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:11 PM
LarDaBear
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You mean its up to me to post the first pictures???!!!!! Well ok then!!! Top one is a Model 50, bottom one is a Model 51M. The model 50 except for the refinished stock is unaltered. The 51M had a "sporterized stock on it that I thought was poorly done so to alleviate what I considered poor contouring I cut a bit off of the front of the stock and added a "rosewood" tip. There are threads on both of these rifles, but they are buried somewhere on this forum and with the fuzzed up photo bucket pictures to boot. Pretty sure I have ALL of the parts to put these 2 rifles completely back together and get them up and running. If I can just find where I put those parts. I think the parts are in a safe in ziplock baggies but I haven't had the time to look yet. Have spent the last 3 days cleaning out the "man cave" and throwing away lots of dust collectors and space stealers as my son calls them.

A little closer view of the 2!!!

And just for grins!!! Some other projects!!! The bottom one is an 1894 Favorite, middle one is a Hopkins & Allen 922 relined to 17M2 and the top one is a 1915 Favorite!!! The 2 Favorites are staying 22 LR although with Bentz chambers!!! And all 3 are sporting stocks I carved from scratch!!!

Way too many projects!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Darn,you do REALLY NICE work!!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2020, 12:15 AM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
No socks or olive oil, just...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
Nice work all. Hey, besides the pics can you also include what your finish was and how you applied it? Just so if someone is interested they can have an idea of how to get there. Now if it's a old family receipt of BLO, stain and olive oil for the flavor and rubbed in with old socks ok.
No socks or olive oil, just lots of coats of Tung Oil. That's it, pretty simple, huh!!! Probably at least a dozen coats, because half or better gets sanded back off. Then the final coat of Tung oil with a bit of "rotten stone" to give it a nice satin glow. None of those stocks are finished yet, just thought you might like to know. Still need to fill some of the pores in the wood. That is what really takes so long.
God Bless, Frank.

Last edited by tfrank; 04-09-2020 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:57 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now lets see the consensus here is collector, accumulator, fixer, and procrastinator. You fellows sure sure know how to make me feel at home.

John
Old 04-09-2020, 12:42 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Those are awesome looking rifles.

You can be proud of all of them.

Those Favorites are my “Favorite”.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:36 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One thing I can say about you tfrank is that you always have very nice projects that end beautifully as your pictures show.

John