So we have another old Mossberg... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:31 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So we have another old Mossberg...

So we have another old Mossberg up and running!!! Dale was finally able to get the time to visit with me and we were able to figure out and resolve all the issues that were causing his 46M-B to be a jam-o-matic.
Below is the last PM that Dale sent me. Been PM'ing back and forth trying to find a good time for both of us and today was the day!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schuyou
Frank,
My crazy end of year building quota is over so have more time now - would love to get together and compare our two rifles and see if I can get the loading issues resolved on my Mossberg 46M-b. I am starting to think it is the ejector to close to the bolt face that is to tight on the case and won't allow it all the way up in position. Hoping if I see your rifle set up I can figure it out.
Let me know when you have a moment.
Thanks Dale
So the things that were wrong with this rifle were...
R236 the Elevator Spring was reversed with R241 the Cartridge Stop Spring. Fixed that by flipping the position of the springs.
Then the Action Proving Rounds (APR's, aka Dummy rounds) wouldn't feed when the bolt was operated. Noticed that R311, the Outside Feed Tube was in a different position than the one in my 46 M-B. Turns out that R219, the Tube Tension Screw that is hidden inside R217, the Take Down Stud was not tight. This allowed the Outside Feed Tube to move out of position which caused R240, the Cartridge Stop to not function properly. Adjusted the Outside Feed Tube (R311) to its proper position, tightened the Tube Tension Screw (R211) to hold the Outside Feed Tube, but not so tight that it would deform the Outside Feed Tube, which would cause other problems!!! And all of a sudden the APR's started to feed properly!!! While we were congratulating ourselves on how well the rifle was now cycling rounds problems with the trigger and safety lever made themselves known. Well wouldn't you know it... a part was missing!!! Somewhere, somehow R150, the Trigger Spring Plunger had gone AWOL, missing, or was lost. Dig into parts stash and there, just waiting for me was a Trigger Spring Plunger!!! Purchased way long time ago when Mossberg parts were a dime a dozen on eBay. Installed the Trigger Spring Plunger and VIOLA everything is working as it should... BUT WAIT... why did the R134, the Mainspring Plunger just drop??? I didn't even have my finger on the trigger??? Oh, maybe someone in the past had tried to lighten the trigger pull by backing R158, the Trigger Pull Adjusting Screw. Tightened the Trigger Pull Adjusting Screw in 3 or 4 turns and the trigger was behaving as it was engineered to!!! Triple checked the rifle for function and now everything was working as it should. Feeding and ejecting as it should, nice positive function of the safety, and the trigger wouldn't trip without a firm assist from the trigger finger.
In a nut shell... flipped two parts, re-positioned one part, tightened a loose part, replace a missing part, and adjusted trigger tension. Took a bit under 2 hours to get this all figured out!!! By the time I post this Dale should be back home and doing his planned Bar-B-Que!!! Maybe I'll get some of the pictures I took posted so all of the part #'s and names I rattled off will make sense and maybe help someone in the future figure out a similar problem!!! Had FUN doing this too!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:33 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking Pictures... finally!!!

Pictures... finally!!!

What... where are the pictures. Still in my camera!!! This is a "PLACE HOLDER' until I get the lead out and do the picture thing I like to do!!!
God Bless, Frank.
So here are 2 pictures for you to study. I am thinking about starting a new thread with a good bit more detail, to include good close-up detail, parts nomenclature and so on, but this will take a while to put together. If you want to see things a bit closer, click on the picture, the picture will "jump up" and there will be a menu box, click on the icon that looks like a box with an arrow pointing to the top right. It is to the right of the X!!!

Last edited by tfrank; 03-01-2020 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Add 2 pictures.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:54 PM
schuyou

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Well thanks to Frank I believe I now have a fully functioning rifle! I spent hours trying to figure this one out through pictures on-line etc I was able to get it close but did not work correctly. Most on-line pictures cannot capture the order or sequence of the parts and after we laid the actions next to each other it became apparent what was not correct. The other couple of items Frank noticed quickly because of past experience ( a huge plus ) and just looking things over closely.
In addition he stole a small pin that was missing on the trigger/safety from a complete trigger set he had ( way above the call ) and installed for me.
My thanks and hats off to Frank and the folks here that reach out and help.
I tried to pay but he said pass it forward - so... If I see anyone in need and I have the part or experience you can expect a PM.
Hope to get to the range soon and see how she shoots - will update.
Thanks again Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2020, 12:40 AM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thumbs up You are most certainly welcome!!!

You are most certainly welcome!!! As I said I had fun working on your rifle!!! We will have to meet up at Clark Brothers when the weather warms back up!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:22 AM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Sounds like complete success. Good Job guys! Make this a sticky?
Old 03-01-2020, 01:21 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very cool.

Schuyou, you've got to post some pics of your rifle in this thread.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:32 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thumbs up Yes, indeed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
Very cool.

Schuyou, you've got to post some pics of your rifle in this thread.
Yes, indeed!!! That rifle has a VERY NICE piece of wood and Dale did a superb job of refinishing it!!! Dale if you need help posting those pics, give me a call or send the pics to me and i will be happy to post them for you.
God Bless, Frank.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:17 PM
schuyou

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Frank
Will do - most likely send to you - seems the lowest setting on my phone is still to big a picture to post.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:52 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schuyou View Post
Frank
Will do - most likely send to you - seems the lowest setting on my phone is still to big a picture to post.
Upload them to a private Imgur account. You can then copy and paste a reduced "message board" link into your Rimfirecentral post's.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:03 AM
schuyou

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Finally got to the range yesterday and must say the rifle shoots very nicely. Not in my CZ 452/453 range but close behind. Handles well and flawless cycling thanks to Franks help. Got a missing swivel from another member so now will install a vintage leather sling and should have a great woods/walking rifle.
Will send some pictures to FRank to post when I get a chance.
Thanks all
Old 03-22-2020, 01:14 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Pictures of the rifle please.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:41 AM
luna3
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll second that request.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:05 PM
schuyou

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Like I said above I have not had any luck posting pictures with my recent phone - pictures to big even on lowest setting.
I have asked another member here with better tech skills to post for me when he gets a chance.
Thanks
Old 03-24-2020, 05:38 AM
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
can you take a screen shot of the pics....i think they come out alot smaller....file wise
al