Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:29 PM
Talyn
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Amen, the Aussie Beech stocked "American" style is a known entity and yes some made it to the States. As I recall the Aussie was called a Standard or something a bit different but Beech vs Walnut was the difference.

Just looking at a V16 sitting in the book case next to me confirms the 30ft and 50ft markings are there. Actually this one has Y20 then 50FT then 40FT then 30 FT.
Thanks for the additional info on my Aussie. I saw it referred to as "Special" elsewhere.

Yes mine have the same markings, they were just hidden on the back side of the AO pic.

Regards

Last edited by Talyn; 02-05-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:28 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
GN,

Thanks for the additional information and insight. I guess I got lucky in getting this "Aussie 452 American". It's really growing on me and look forward to getting it to the range to get it dialed in. That will likely be awhile due to our MT winter conditions.

IMO, CZ was probably surprised at the additional demand for 452s and scrambled to send more to the use, plus the Grand Finales.

My .02

There's a really good case to be made that the beech stocks are better gunstock material than walnut, it's certainly nothing I would take for granted. There is no difference in practical terms, for a squirrel hunter, for example, but technically, beech is usually stronger than walnut.
I grew up in Missouri, and walnut is practically a religion there, but there are some really great looking beechwood stocks out there, too. I don't know anyone in my family that didn't have some walnut trees in their yards, because they were "essential" for baking Christmas goodies, or banana bread, or fudge, Missourians love their walnut trees.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:55 PM
flatlander

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe that beech stock is why your 452 remained sitting in the rack, while walnut-stocked 455s were sold off. No offense intended, but buyers lacking familiarity with CZ's rep for the quality associated with 452s might not have looked any further than the appearance of a stained beech stock, passed on it, and picked up a walnut-stocked 455 instead?
Old 02-07-2020, 10:27 AM
Big_Fisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I have a beech stocked 452 American. I think I bought it from Whittaker Guns for $325. I think the beech stock is a little lighter than the walnut stock. The receiver is matte blued and the barrel is not as polished as my other 452s with walnut stocks. When I bought the rifle I also bought a walnut stock from CZ USA. Sometimes I swap stocks, but I think I prefer the beech stock. It's a nice rifle, and I'm glad I bought one.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:45 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Fisherman View Post
I have a beech stocked 452 American. I think I bought it from Whittaker Guns for $325. I think the beech stock is a little lighter than the walnut stock. The receiver is matte blued and the barrel is not as polished as my other 452s with walnut stocks. When I bought the rifle I also bought a walnut stock from CZ USA. Sometimes I swap stocks, but I think I prefer the beech stock. It's a nice rifle, and I'm glad I bought one.

That's a nice looking piece of Beech
Old 02-07-2020, 12:58 PM
teetertotter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
The middle of last Sept I went into one of my favorite LGSs, a small one, but with lots of character.

In checking out the racks I spotted some CZ rimfire rifles, and especially noticed that there was a CZ 452 American 22 lr. I've had a 455 American for awhile, and while a nice 22 there's sometimes a special bond with a firearm and the 455 was just another 22. However, something with this 452 attracted me. The owner said he had several CZ rimfires that he was trying to sell off with the majority being 455's.

In the last 5 months the 452 sat in the same place on the rack while a 455 varmit or American would be next door, and would go away the next time I stopped by. Each time I visited I checked the 452 out and then put it back in its place. Each time I stopped I expected it to be gone but there it still was. So over the weekend I decided to get it since there was this attraction to it, and the price of $389 was a good one. I posted here asking about its' price way back in mid-Sept.

So today I went to the shop expecting it that it would be gone, but there it still was. I guess it was ment to stay at my place after all. We did the paper work & payment and it came home. It still surprises me that several 455s went before I took it so others some how overlooked it.

After checking it out some more I surmised its a CZ American 452-2E ZKM (stamped on the receiver) Special (Model 02025) with a Beech stock, matte receiver, and made in 2015. It cleaned up fine except for some dried grease on the bolt cocking piece that requires some more attention.

The trigger pull is 4 lbs. I'll improve that with a DIP spring, as well as a trigger guard upgrade with a DIP. The 22.5" barrel looks good and it free-floated the whole way back to the chamber area. A dummy round ejects just fine.

After a scope swap on others I had a spare V-16 waiting for the 452 so I dug through my rings/bases box and fortunately found the perfect 3/8" rings to mount the V-16 just right.

Due to this time of the year I won't be able to get it to the range for another month or so.
New Info below
1.12" High, Norma TAC-22 http://beloitrifleclub.org/
Old 02-07-2020, 01:41 PM
horseman2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A number of the "Australian" stocked 452's came to Canada as well.
I was looking at one when another looker commented about the "Beautiful quarter sawn Walnut"! I should have let him have it but I never had it long enough to give it a good go. A Remington 40XBR came available and two 452's were sold to make way. I have since been a little suspicious to the beech wood. I currently own a 455 American and am more than pleased with the wood.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:15 PM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Negative. The stock wood is beech since I've had different rifles with beech wood & I know what walnut looks like. The 02025 Specials came with beech, and the shipping box says beech.
Agree...that's beech, IMO. Nice looking rifle.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:18 PM
JGP

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I bought what turned out to be a beech stocked 452 American last year at a flea market. It's dated 02. The barrel and reciever are polished but the trigger guard is matte. It's a good amount lighter than my "fancy wood" American. Also has the hole in the bolt handle.
Could this be the Austrailian model or just made up of parts that were on hand? Either way it doesn't make a difference, it turned out to shoot very well so it's not going anywhere. I will get a polished trigger guard later though
Old 02-07-2020, 07:09 PM
Talyn

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I ordered a new machined 452 trigger guard from Coal Creek Products yesterday for it.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:33 AM
5w30
US Army

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I agree with the comments that beech is a better wood for a gun stock than walnut from a utilitarian perspective. It is one hell of a lot stronger and has a much greater resistance to dents/impressions. I'm not sure about other characteristics such as heat/moisture expansion/contraction but I've never had any problems with mine.

Beechwood is good stuff.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:43 PM
jeff miller

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
No I don't think so, but one should first ask for clarification/more info. vs. jumping to conclusions.

We're GTG.

This is my two cents on the scope.......which is usually not worth anything

The three reticles you listed are far from the same and there is a difference between the "223 Ballistic X" and the "Ballistic X"

And the Mildot is in it's own league

If you look in the scope section under reticle pictures you will see the difference

Some people don't care about reticle types but I can tell in 3 seconds looking through a scope if I am interested in it

If the subtension is not .1" at or lower at highest power at 100 yds. I don't want it.

My Clearidge is 0.08"

And I have a V24 with the Varimiter reticle that is very close to the Clearidge,

By The way .....Nice rifle you will like it more and more every time you shoot it

Don't take anything I said the wrong way .......It may sound like I am jumping to conclusions ......But I did not intend it that way

Have a nice day

JEFF
Old 02-08-2020, 07:05 PM
Talyn

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Ordered some DIP 452 parts to upgrade it & lighten up the trigger pull a bit.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:05 PM
Talyn

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well since they're not making any more V-16's I'll work up a range card with the reticle I have.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:22 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Well since they're not making any more V-16's I'll work up a range card with the reticle I have.
Talyn sir no need to make a drawing just check out the picture of the different Weaver reticles in the link below.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=516808

Just so you know I do have a few Classic V series scopes:

Signalman