Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:34 AM
Cudabuda69

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin 20a breach bolt

I've been looking for a breach bolt for a 20a. I have found someone with a breach bolt for a No. 20 and they are not sure if it is for a 20 or 20a. I have read they are different sizes. Does anyone have measurements for a 20a or measurements on the other sized bolts so I can figure out if this one will fit. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The bolts are externally the same size but they take different length locking lugs and different firing pins and therefore will not interchange. I had a 20A parts gun with a bolt in it but no locking lug, I had not looked at it close until now and see the reason for that is it's a No 20 bolt and will not work in a No 20-A.

I will try and get some pictures & dimensions for you, have them in photobucket but can no longer post them from there.

Last edited by Sav22; 09-03-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:57 PM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well... pulled a couple Marlins to get pictures of the bolts and when I brought out a No 20 that was my most recent acquisition I was surprised to find it did not have the long locking lug like all the others I have looked at, it had the short lug with the early style firing pin spring - the same as used in the No 20-S, which is the only one I thought used that. Evidently some No 20's had the same bolt/firing pin combination as the No 20-S's (or this gun has been mismatched, it's the best condition of any of my pumps so it doesn't look like that happened).

I also got curious and took a long lug bolt and put a short lug and a 20-S style firing pin in it and found it worked in a 20-A (actual test firing). Unfortunately to use and early bolt in a later short lug receiver you need a 20-S type firing pin and they are really rare. The later short lug bolts had a spring loaded plunger to retract the firing pin which is a different design and will not work right in an early bolt.

I think any short lug bolt can be used in any short lug model as long as you have the correct firing pin for it. I have swapped the later wider bolts from a No 37, No 47 or No 29-N and found they will work in a No 20-A but will stick out the right side of the receiver and a 20-A bolt will work in the later but will be recessed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2017, 05:15 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mega-thumbs up for that post & pics, Sav22
Old 10-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Cudabuda69

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a ton of great info. I have actually found and purchased 2 bolts for this 20A since my post. First one I got from outback. First class dealer and awesome guy to talk to. I then found one in better condition so I figured why not upgrade. Problem is they are both slightly different. The first one is the same as the bottom one in your picture that looks like it is for a 20s but it has a spring and plunger for the 20a firing pin. The second one I got is the same as the one on top and has the spring and plunger for the 20a firing pin as well with the shorter extractor. Could the spring and plunger have been added at the factory to use up remaining parts? Looks factory.