Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:00 PM
Badlandsboy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

My younger brother lost two Ruger 22lr pistols when some one pried open his locked trunk on his car. He turned the serial numbers into the local PD as stolen. Ten years later the PD showed up at his doorstep wondering where his pistol was. He informed them again of the stolen items. Seems one of the pistols had been used in a armed robbery on the other side of the US and he was the registered owner. He was cleared of any involvement after they check their own records. When he tried to recover the pistol, he was told it was being held for evidence. He tried several times after that and kept check on them only to find out it was later sold at a police public auction. No attempt was ever made to contact him or return the pistol.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:08 PM
azsugarbear

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I had a Colt Python stolen along with my truck (it was under the seat) in Phoenix. I reported the loss of truck & contents to both police & insurance. My insurance covered the value of the pistol. My truck turned up in Hermosilla, Mexico about a week after it was stolen.

Some 10 - 12 years later, I got a call from the San Antonio PD. My stolen pistol had just turned up at a pawn shop. Since I had already been paid by my insurance company, the pistol would not be returned to me for free. However, I did have the right to buy it for what the pawn shop paid for it. I paid the $$ with the provision that I could return it. When I finally got it, I was shocked to see the poor condition it was in. The cylinder was all scarred and would not index correctly on the forcing cone. The finish was marred and scratched. It made me cry. I returned the pistol to the pawn shop and got a refund.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to get a firearm back, but what surprised me was the length of time that expired between the loss and when they recovered it. The SAPD told me that when a gun goes on the list - it stays on the list and never drops off due to time.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:09 PM
wood-man

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I never have but a friend in FL did. About 1 year after reporting it stolen the police call and her revolver was recovered when it was used in a robbery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2017, 05:59 PM
CJ_74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My daughter was living in my house after we had to move away for a while. Someone broke in and stole some things including a shotgun while she was at work. The police did nothing to help her but she managed to track down the people who stole the stuff and she got most of it back including the shotgun.

She went to every pawn shop in the area looking for her stuff and when she found something she pressured the owner to tell her who sold it to him. From there she went to the police and got help catching the guy and getting back her stuff.

She found a ring she had that was worth a lot of money. The shotgun was worth very little actually. It was a Mossberg 20 ga. from about 1950. It had a poly choke on it. It is a bolt action shotgun of all things. It was worth a lot to me because of sentimental reasons.

It's been in the family a very long time. I had given it to my daughter. She still has it and it's in perfect condition.

The silly part of this story was the burglars passed right over a pistol that was worth 5X as much as that shotgun or more. Heck my brother actually bought that shotgun off my uncle for $5 back in about 1962. Dad had told my uncle he couldn't give my brother a shotgun because he was too young. My brother asked dad if he could buy it if he had the money. Dad said if he had his own money he could do what he wanted with it and no one could tell him different. So he offered my uncle $5 for the shotgun and he instantly said, "Sold". Dad actually let him keep it because he wouldn't go back on his word.

Eventually my brother abandoned that shotgun for far better guns. He left it at home. When I was in college I had nothing for SD so dad gave it to me to use. I gave it to my daughter for the same reason.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:08 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In 2005 I had an old 3 screw single six stolen from my home. The thief took only that gun and left the mag cyl. There were guns worth much more money with it. I didn't have the serial number with me at the time but the officer quickly retrieved it for me. It hasn't been returned but the police either stop by my house or call me every year to see if it has been returned.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:54 PM
bensss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
INSURANCE

I CALLED MY INS. AGENT. HAD TO MANY GUNS AT THAT TIME AND WANTED A RIDER FOR SPECIFIC GUNS. HE CHECKED INTO IT AND CALLED ME BACK (HE HAD A RIDER ON HIS POLICY)--DON'T NEED IT WITH SAFECO--JUST HAVE SERIAL NUMBER AND TURN IT INTO POLICE AND IT IS COVERED. OF COURSE ALL MY GUNS ARE 95 - 100%--JUST LIKE YOURS--MY AGENT THANKED ME AND CANCELLED HIS RIDER!
Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 PM
goeby911dave
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
NCIC

Don't sell NCIC short. Here's 2 positive NCIC stories. While I was military, we had a deputy sheriff show up in the Orderly Room one day with a M1911A1 that had been recovered. It had been reported lost in the field several years before. It had been entered by MP/CID, I guess. It was in really good shape, considering. The supply types just about crapped their BDUs trying to figure out how to deal with it's disposition. In another life I worked in police communications and supervised NCIC entries. Gun entries have to be verified annually on month of entry (unless they have changed since 2012). If you don't hear from the police dept/NCIC reporting agency annually, call them and ask for the NCIC coordinator. Ask why you have not been contacted to verify status.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:27 PM
REA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In 1968 my 20 ga ss stevens, and suitcase were stolen behind our grocery store in a small town. Lost my HS graduation watch and pilot's logbook, clothes etc.
Never recovered anything. Loss of the watch and logbook still bothers me.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:34 PM
DconBlueZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had a 9mm semiauto stolen out of my company van, I reported it. 4 years later a detective in the city where it was stolen called me, they'd found it in a pawn shop, and would I like it back? They sent it to my local sheriff who handed it to me personally.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:54 PM
grayelky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Being a retired LEO, yeah I have recovered stolen guns. If you never report it, it will never be recovered.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:26 PM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thank you

I wish to thank all of you who responded. Tomorrow I will go to the police station and make sure that they have the right information to contact me and ask them if they have heard anything. I really just don`t want some idiot to hurt someone with it.
David
Old 08-16-2017, 09:49 PM
endangeredoutlaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
get carry guard form NRA you get it back or get new one. for real..
Old 08-16-2017, 10:33 PM
51smd
National Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In June my trap and skeet club had a shoot. And many of the members you never see were there. One of the older guys were parked next to me and he left for home around noon. At 1 pm the local Pd showed up and said we couldn't find the gentalmen's shot gun he lost. We were all surprised to hear anyone had lost one. So we looked all over I was talking to him before he left and I knew he didn't leave it on the back of his truck. He returned from his home around 1:30 after retracing his steps for 25 miles. He is frantic I told him Ralph you didn't leave it on the back of your truck when you left. He starts tearing his truck apart and in 10 minutes he finds this $19,000 Kriegoff all the way against the front of his truck bed where it had slid too. So with his pride hurt he went down to the local Pd to tell them he found it. Lucky man.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:03 PM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I actually got 4 of 19 back. A 5th one showed up 3 or 4 years later. I'm luckier than most tho.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:26 PM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i was working my way through college as a janitor at a college apartment complex. One of the tenants suffered a burglary and her S&W .22 kit gun was one of the missing items. Some time later we found it, rusted shut in a planter (we were tearing out the tams replacing then with Yuccas, and the revolver had been faithfully watered, along with the tams for at least two semesters) We turned the revolver over to her Dad as she'd graduated by then.