Ever recover a stolen gun? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:33 PM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ever recover a stolen gun?

A couple of years ago someone stole my Smith model 649, and I turned it in to my local police to be entered into NCIC. Have any of you ever recovered a gun from this process? I didn`t turn this in to my insurance company, should I have? Gun was new, but not in box, I still have that.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:41 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
As that I can say is that we received pennies from insurance when our home was burglarized.A small fraction of the value-you need riders on the policy to be adequately covered.If you're a member of the NRA,you can be covered by some free insurance,but must provide the gun info in advance.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:02 PM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
gone

I sort of figured that NCIC was a waste of time, but tried to do the right thing anyway. My information is probably out in the great beyond somewhere. As for insurance companies, well.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2017, 03:08 PM
pokute

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A friend of mine had his Woodsman stolen at a car wash. After going round-and-round with the police, and visiting every FFL in his state, and finally buying another gun, the police called 6 months later and said "We found your gun!". It was in perfect shape, just as it had been.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:53 PM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My local FFL, a pawn shop, was moving a couple years ago and had a gap in his store security. He had a number of guns stolen during this gap in moving, he has had a few returned, but they were scattered to the 4 winds.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:57 PM
BamaInArk
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not me personally but 2 close acquaintances both got their stolen guns back.

One had his car stolen from his work parking lot. Firearms sales at Academy Sports. His Kimber 1911 was in the back in a case. They found the vehicle within a few days but of course no gun. Fast forward around 6 months he gets a call from some small town police department. Asked him if he had reported a firearm stolen? He said sure. They asked him the serial # and of course he had it in memory.
Some guy ended up with the firearm. Don't think it was the original thief. He walked up to some local Rescue Squad driver in that small town and asked if he wanted to buy the firearm. The RS driver said sure but do you mind if we go run the serial # with the local PD? They guy said no problem. A local LEO was sitting in his squad car not too far away so they went over to him and he simply used his radio to call it in. Came back stolen. So the guy lost that firearm but my friend eventually got his back.

Another friend had his truck broken in to at the same Academy Sports. Got a handgun, rifle and some other hunting gear. Had the guy on camera but grainy image. Some time later, maybe at least a year, someone found the gun laying in the road locally. LE ended with it and of course it came back as stolen. It was a S&W M&P 9mm. Pretty bad shape. Frame was cracked and not repairable. So even though he did get the gun back it was too badly damaged from abuse.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:02 PM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DInghram View Post
A couple of years ago someone stole my Smith model 649, and I turned it in to my local police to be entered into NCIC. Have any of you ever recovered a gun from this process? I didn`t turn this in to my insurance company, should I have? Gun was new, but not in box, I still have that.
I have my firearms insured from Farm Bureau. Annual cost is $1 per $100 value of firearms, no deductible, and you give them a value for the gun and scope. 100% of your value upon reporting loss. Loss can be theft, accident, fire - you lose the use of the firearm, they provide the $$$ to replace it.

As for reporting it to your homeowner's insurance, without a rider, it probably isn't worth your time and your rates might go up if you report it.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:33 PM
aguila9
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DInghram View Post
I sort of figured that NCIC was a waste of time, but tried to do the right thing anyway. My information is probably out in the great beyond somewhere. As for insurance companies, well.....
It's not a waste of time. If you don't do it you will never get it back, at least if it's in the system you got a chance. Most of these criminals aren't known for their smarts.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Loke
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We had one recently returned to our store that had been stolen in 2008. We got the box and owner's manual with it , too.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:59 PM
cstone
US Army

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I chuckled when I read the title of this thread. My first thought was, Of course I have...off of felons on the street or at a crime scene.

I can't speak for every department but it is my belief that recovered guns are routinely run through NCIC and most are test fired to obtain a bullet for forensic examination. If the gun gets a hit on NCIC, an attempt is made to contact the owner listed in the NCIC record. If the firearm is no longer needed as evidence, and the owner claims the firearm and can pass an NCIC check, the firearm is returned. Otherwise it gets turned into a manhole cover. So sad.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:03 PM
Rifleman55

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A number of years ago I had a savage mod 24 stolen from my truck, I turned the sn in to the local pd, a few years later I got a call from them to come and pick it up, who ever had it did a crappy refinish job on it, I still have it and never bothered to redo the finish. I left it as a reminder that it pays to keep sns.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:39 PM
gdogs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Years ago in college I had a break in and lost some electronics, and a few Red Wings jerseys, and a suitcase that I'm guessing was used to carry it all off with. Fortunately I didn't have any guns in the apartment. I turned in the serial numbers that I had for the electronics and about a year later got a call from the police that they had recovered my Playstation 2. You just never know!
Old 08-16-2017, 04:43 PM
Longhair1957
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I lost 5 antique firearms in a burglary, 12 years later they all came back courtesy of the Phoenix and Tucson PD's. It took some fighting, but they all came back, minus one Mauser bolt.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:52 PM
ferg
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yep. Had a couple of guns stolen from my apt while out to sea(Navy). Cops stopped some guy walking down an alley carrying the rifle and mags. Dude nor cops could get the bolt to release (10/22) so had some 'hammer' marks on receiver. Guns fine shoots well.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:53 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A friend was at a local range shooting as was one other fellow. Friend went down range to post new target. When he came back his handgun was gone.

He went and reported to sheriff and made posters for the range w/ S/N etc.

Some days later he was unpacking his gun bags and there was his handgun in a bag that he usulally dont put it into.

So now we have a felon shooting w/ us-he stole his own gun!!