bore snakes...yes or no? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:14 PM
Ratpaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

You know what, Americans give us Aussies grief about vegemite but let's discuss the horror that is Dr Pepper!
Really, it tastes like fizzy cough medicine... It's horrible!
Don't know how you can drink that stuff.... And let's not even get started about american beer!
Old 07-30-2017, 11:05 PM
PEASHOOTER67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
bore snakes...yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratpaker View Post
You know what, Americans give us Aussies grief about vegemite but let's discuss the horror that is Dr Pepper!

Don't know how you can drink that stuff.... And let's not even get started about american beer!

My wife loves the great 26 flavors called Dr. Pepper.

I almost went into the kitchen to have a pepper just because you brought it up, but I resisted the urge.
That prune juice isn't my cup of tea anyways.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 07-31-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:31 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Yes.
I use a bore snake with CLP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2017, 06:13 AM
Bimmer74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm a big fan of BoreSnakes in other calibers, but not in .17.

I've had nothing but trouble trying to get a BoreSnake through my .17. I finally gave up and now use Otis Ripcords for .17. Super.

FWIW, I brush/mop the bore first, let it sit a while, and then use the BoreSnake/Ripcord in lieu of patches. It's fast and easy and seems to be very effective.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:27 AM
Ratpaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
Quote:

I wasn't aware that Vegemite was so popular down under. But talking @#&! about our beer??? What do you guys only drink Foster's......?
Lol at fosters.... no one in Australia drinks fosters.. . We sell it to the tourists and keep the good stuff for ourselves!
Old 08-03-2017, 03:13 PM
PKHansen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use them for 17, 22, 223 and 308. I run them through five times (OCD) before I oil the gun and put it in the safe if I can't clean them with rods right away. Just don't like the idea of putting a dirty rifle away. i don't use solvents on them.
I have a set in my rangebag too.
I've had problems getting it through the tiny 17 bore when really dirty, so I try to do it more often. Seems to work for me.
I like them, but they are not a replacement for a proper rod-based cleaning
Old 08-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've used em all including pushing 1/2 a Q-tip(soaked with cleaner) with a rod, my favorite. That said if you're gonna use, try to use, a snake on a very dirty bore you'll be well advised to pour some cleaner in the bore first to lubricate the snake thus avoiding a possible tug of war stalemate. A bronze brush twisted to n fro in the bottle neck chamber is excellent preventive maintenance IMA but then again I shower every day for the last 70 years.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:59 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I only use them for a quick cleanout at the range, when I'm getting crud from a high round count. When I get home; it's rod, brush, and jag.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:47 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
if you're gonna use, try to use, a snake on a very dirty bore you'll be well advised to pour some cleaner in the bore first to lubricate the snake thus avoiding a possible tug of war stalemate.
This is very good advise. I bought one for my 17HMR a few years ago and I can't say that I have used it a lot but I've used it dry and with a wet bore and pulling it through a wet bore is MUCH easier. After pulling it through a dry bore, I can see how/why so many break the pull string off and get them stuck in the barrel.

Those snakes aren't for me and I'll stick with using a rod, nylon brushes, and jag with patches. I always use a bore guide too.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:30 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use the snake when I'm shooting prairie dogs.....I run it through at the end of the day or sometimes twice a day when the shooting gets hot and heavy. Using a bit of lube is a really good idea. Thanks for that tip Al. at the end of the hunt I give it a good scrub with a nylon brush. My Anschutz 1517 MPR has maintained superb accuracy with this method.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:33 PM
JetGirl

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I used to use them until I realized unless you wash them out and dry them every time after every use, you're just dragging the carbon and debris and dirt from the last bore right through the next one you're trying to clean... which sort of defeats the purpose. I stick with a cleaning rod and brush for a thorough clean or patch worm field kit at the range.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:37 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetGirl View Post
I used to use them until I realized unless you wash them out and dry them every time after every use, you're just dragging the carbon and debris and dirt from the last bore right through the next one you're trying to clean... which sort of defeats the purpose. I stick with a cleaning rod and brush for a thorough clean or patch worm field kit at the range.

While that is kind of true your also loosening up all the buildup when you pull it through so most of it should be coming back out with the snake. Running a clean patch through after the boresnake should pull out the rest of the loose stuff left behind.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:52 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
While that is kind of true your also loosening up all the buildup when you pull it through so most of it should be coming back out with the snake. Running a clean patch through after the boresnake should pull out the rest of the loose stuff left behind.
This is one of the main reasons I could never really buy into using boresnakes. By the time I messed around with wetting the bore, pulling the snake through a time or two, then patching it out, I just kind of had a halfazzed clean bore and it took me as long as if I would have cleaned it my normal way with a nylon brush and patches. And, I still had the boresnake to wash because I didn't like the idea of pulling a dirty boresnake through my barrel.

Maybe it's my own personal OCD but I just never could get to excited about using them under any circumstance.

I'm usually not to into "trick of the week" items and they don't make one in .17 caliber so it's a bit of a moot point but as a final step to get any and all gunk left over in the barrel after I clean one, I've been pulling one of those Remington Squeeg-e things through my barrels as a final step. Even after my patches were coming out dry and clean I was shocked at how much wet gunk this Squeeg-e thing was able to pull out of the bore. Being a soft rubber material they are able form fit to the inside of the bore and pull out stuff down in the lands that a patch can not. I've only used them on .22 cal bores and larger but for getting every bit of leftover residue out of the bore after cleaning, these things work pretty darn well.

Last edited by B23; 08-07-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:15 AM
jlorenzo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use bore snakes on everything. I do not clean often, rim fires get boresnaked after shooting, cleaned with brush and patches probably twice a year. My rim fires shoot much better dirty. My .17 cal bore snake is so tight in my 17 hmr that I have to wrap it around my hand to get it through. Works perfectly on my 22 as well. Through it in a sock, run it through the washing machine if I feel it's getting dirty.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:55 PM
donw
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

in the high desert of southern kalifphornia
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Hello...my name is Don...i am a dr pepper addict...

and i use a bronze brush and hoppes 9 and clean patches for the bore and a nylon brush in a drill motor with hoppes 9 for a thorough cleaning of the chamber

Last edited by donw; 08-31-2017 at 06:04 PM.