tph - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:15 PM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
tph

I bought a TPH shortly after they became available here. It was a fairly nice little stainless pistol that functioned well as long as you used fairly strong loads. I had it for quite a while, but it`s been gone for a while now. What happened to these little things and were they well regarded? I wish that I still had it.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:25 PM
ayetee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Carried one as a pocket gun for a few years until my Seecamp arrived. The TPH shot very well and was 100% reliable with CCI Stingers. Like it very much and will definitely hang on to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010147a.JPG (57.6 KB, 368 views)
Old 07-21-2017, 03:44 PM
nwmousegunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TPH

My favorite pocket sized pistol in .22 lr. I bought one at an estate sale a few years ago and I liked it so well I bought another one on Gun Broker so I would have a spare. Both of mine are stainless steel models made for Interarms. The blue models made in Germany look nice and I wouldn't mind having one except for the current pricing. As to why they faded out I can only guess. After Inter Arms folded Walther leased the franchise to Smith & Wesson and they chose not manufacture the TPH. I have had good luck with mine as they function 100%. Some comments I have read on the Walther forum have been very negative about the TPH. Perhaps some one with more knowledge than I will chime in an enlighten us. I like mine well enough that my son will have to be the one who sells it. Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2017, 12:41 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They are small pistols and the smaller and the shorter the barrel....the more difficult to shoot straight...so, plinker they are.

I think most of the negative comments I've read about them was ammo related...specifically being ammo picky which usually means...ammo that is not snappy enough doesn't cycle 100%. Sounds like the previous posters are using good ammo...CCI is fine ammo.

I think most people like them but they are getting a bit pricey and at some point shooters have to begin to get picky about what they purchase... Lot of good guns out there. I wouldn't mind having one myself but would have to find it at a really good price. 1917
Old 07-22-2017, 10:11 PM
PB1234

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If I wanted to depend on a TPH I would send it to Roger Perry at https://www.facebook.com/roger.perry.98837 . Roger is not getting any younger and I would grab the opportunity to have him go over the TPH.

From his Facebook page, "We specialize in the repair of Interarms pistols, to include the PPK, and PPK/S. We have customer's referred to us by Smith & Wesson, Walther America, and Earl's Repair Service."

I remember asking Roger if he believed in Karma. His response was that he was a radioman during the TET Offensive which meant he believed in Karma as he is here with us. Roger is a good guy whose word is as good as his excellent workmanship.

The TPH is terrific when they are 100% reliable. Roger sets them up for use with Stingers or the prefragmented stuff (CCI?). If you want a terrific holster chase down Ken Null http://www.klnullholsters.com/default.htm . Ken too is not getting younger so get the holster while you can. The pocket holster he makes is a work of art. Ken will also customize a holster to meet your needs exactly. Just talk to him on the phone and trust his judgement.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:46 PM
Redcat94

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The TP and TPH have both become pretty uncommon. Other than unreliability the other complaint I see is about the price and availability of magazines. I'd love to ad one in .22LR or .25ACP to my collection.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:29 AM
Glenn-SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the stainless steel version and it is reliable with high powered ammo.
Mine rides in the pocket of my PFD when I go kayaking.
Fantastically concealable and very well made.
At the distances it would be used it is "accurate enough."
Old 07-25-2017, 03:11 PM
Sub sailor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The TPH is a solid little gun that will function well with high velocity ammo. Because it is so small, the sharp edges of the slide can give a nice bite to the web of your hand if you grip it too high. The original Walther magazines can run over $100, however Triple K makes a good magazine for it for around $40 (what magazine doesn't cost near $40 these days! ). If you can find a TPH for under $500 jump on it because Gunbroker prices are through the roof on these little guns. My comments apply only to the 22LR version, not the 25ACP version.

Last edited by Sub sailor; 07-25-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:10 AM
Glenn-SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Has anyone had experience with the 25ACP version?
I have heard nothing about them.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:28 AM
nwmousegunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TPH

I don't have the .25 caliber version, because of the prices I see. I visit the Walther forum frequently because of my interest in Walther's. The opinions expressed there have all been favorable. My experience with the .22 is limited to two, but both are reliable and accurate. From collecting and shooting small pocket pistols I have concluded that the smaller the pistol the more ammo sensitive it is. This is seams to be more related to the .22 version and not as much as in the .25s. Even the cheap .25s function reliably .Most of the Walther TPH .25s were made in Germany which drives up the price. Apparently there were a lot more .22s made than .25s. The forum www.waltherforum.com has a lot of friendly and knowledgeable folks who will be happy to answer your questions.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:35 AM
Glenn-SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmousegunner View Post
The forum www.waltherforum.com has a lot of friendly and knowledgeable folks who will be happy to answer your questions.
I am a member of that forum. While I would agree that there are "a lot of knowledgeable folks" there, unless you own an older Walther made gun, they are anything but "friendly." (They do tolerate the French manufactured ones.)
Old 07-31-2017, 02:00 AM
brenne93

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SS TPH functions well with Aguila 60 gn

SSS (Sniper Sub Sonic).
Old 07-31-2017, 11:17 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've only seen two for sale used in gun shops. Both .22 lr and stainless and both north of $750 with only one mag. Have never seen a .25 cal one. 1917
Old 08-01-2017, 03:22 AM
Glenn-SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The .22LR SS version seems "common" around here.
There is one currently listed locally on Armslist for $550.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:59 PM
Brittman
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gentlemen,

I looked at a NIB Walther TPH .22 made in VA by Interarms. The dealer wanted $550. for it, a stainless steel model.

I pulled the slide back and put it ON safe and pulled the trigger - the hammer dropped! Is there a hammer/block inside? I then tried it with the safety OFF and the hammer fell, as it should. It spooked me when the hammer fell with the safety ON. Should it have? Is the safety also a decocking lever, too? I did not expect it to drop while on SAFE...

Thank you for your answers. I appreciate it. I liked the pistol, just questioned the safety system of it!

Brittman