Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:27 PM
rick w.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
International MkII forend

Hello,

I am in the process of redoing a left hand BSA international MkII in 17HM2. Rebarreled with a Shilen chrome moly #17 contour. Now into redoing the stock etc.

I thought I might be able to reuse the foreend screw and bushing on the refinished forend and new barrel. Since the barrel is drilled at one point for the attaching screw, I thought I could just drill/tap into the new barrel and be done with it. However the screw into the barrel appears to 1/4" x 26tpi, both the old original barrel and forearm hardware is threaded as such. I looked at my sources for tooling, and came up dry with a tap to do the new barrel hole location at the 26tpi. I do not have a 25tpi guage, but certainly is not 20,28, or 24 tpi.

The outside threading of the forearm bushing is also seeming out of my tooling sources as well. I guess I am thinking I will remake the forearm bushing and attachment screw from scratch and use more commoning used threading.

Anyone else run into such while reworking a MkII?

Regards,

Rick W.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:21 PM
DesBon
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Rick,

The original screw is a 1/4-26 British Standard Fine. Fat chance of finding a tap for this one on our side of the pond. Long obsolete but still found in the UK where a hodge podge of metic, unified, Whithworth,BA & BSF fasteners are used. Old cars, planes, trains, guns, model engineering &etc.

Cheers,
Des in Sacramento