Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:05 PM
ICHTHYO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finally got my 87D going thanks to this website

Finally met the challenge of the Clickety Clack nightmare

I bought an old 1956 Stevens\Savage 87D semiautomatic 22 rifle. It was in bad shape as it wouldn't cycle, wood was scratched up bad, rust everywhere. I only paid $26.00 and thought I could make a good gun out of it. These old "gill guns" have an unsual action that has a long history of issues. When you fire the gun, the bolt goes back and does not return to battery until you release the trigger. It makes a noise many describe as "clickity clack". I've had it over three years and I just finally had my first successful trip to the range yesterday.

It took me a long time to figure what all was wrong functionally Turns out quite a lot. The first thing I fixed was a broken extractor. Got a replacement and thought I'd be ready to go, but nope...still wouldn't function in semiauto. So I bought some 22 snap caps and studied the action and realized it was missing an important part called the magazine guide. Got a new one and went to the range again. Still wouldn't work and now the tube magazine wasn't functioning. Out of frustration I just let it sit for a year or so.

I got the bug to really examine things and used helpful hints from this website. It turns out there was a loose screw in the trigger assembly and when I tightened it up it seemed to be better, but the tube magazine was still messing up. It sat for another year or so.

Back to it again, I took the tube magazine apart and found out what was messin' it up. The snap caps I had been using had a bur on the rim from the firing pin. That bur had caused one of them to be lodged in the tube. Got it out, reassembled and went to the range again confident that I'd fixed everything. Nope. Still wouldn't cycle.

So back to bench at home for another close look.I then discover that the magazine spring wasn't powerful enough to fully advance the round into the lifter. I replaced the spring and headed back to the range yesterday with my 10 year old grandson. Finally! He had a great time shooting multiple magazines at 25yds and posted some really great groups for a new shooter. That made the whole ordeal worth it to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170610_103618_344_1497114310919.jpg (163.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-10-2017, 07:52 PM
WalnutBill22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Great story ICHTHYO, and you did a fine job of bringing the old gal back to her former glory. Although these old rifles can be frustrating and exasperating at times, one can get a good idea of what makes them tick by fiddling with them, and the sense of accomplishment is very rewarding when you finally get them working as they should.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:37 PM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good looking gun, glad you got it running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2017, 06:02 AM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
First, welcome to RFC!

I well know the feeling of accomplishment when you get one of those rifles fully sorted out & running as it should. Glad that happened w/yours and that the grandson is enjoying shooting it. I've found the barrels to be pretty darn good shooters. The triggers, however, do not readily lend themselves to tuning so one has to learn to live with less in that regard. Triggers aside, I've found them a great deal of fun to shoot. Eye protection should go w/o saying, but its worth repeating.

Looks like your rifle cleaned up very nicely as well.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:43 AM
ICHTHYO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookness View Post
First, welcome to RFC!

I well know the feeling of accomplishment when you get one of those rifles fully sorted out & running as it should. Glad that happened w/yours and that the grandson is enjoying shooting it. I've found the barrels to be pretty darn good shooters. The triggers, however, do not readily lend themselves to tuning so one has to learn to live with less in that regard. Triggers aside, I've found them a great deal of fun to shoot. Eye protection should go w/o saying, but its worth repeating.

Looks like your rifle cleaned up very nicely as well.
Thanks. It does feel good to have it working. The grandson was equiped with eye and ear protection. We started out in single shot mode and as he progressed he got to use the rifle in semiauto. I also love to get him out in the field and away from video games. Shooting the gun was really fun for him and I hope we have many more sessions and some hunts as well.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:34 PM
skorper
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice looking rifle. I just bought another one, a Springfield 87a to go with the one I bought years ago. The first one has a few issues and I didn't want to take it apart until I got another to compare it to, side by side. I'm glad you got yours running.