Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:16 PM
JTod
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Model 29 sold for $1,080 on GB

Just curious if folks think this is representative of the current value or an auction anomaly? Thanks to a member here posting a head's up several years ago I have one of these 29's that is a bit nicer than the auction rifle. Not going to sell mine but haven't paid much attention to values until I saw this result. Thoughts?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/627370464
Old 03-22-2017, 08:51 PM
KKG515
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just another example of "Auction Insanity" and some people with more money than Good Sense!

But as long as people say "Guns are a great Investment" this sort of thing will continue.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:53 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You had one guy bid it up and then have a high bidder jump on it. Look at the bidding histories. Two guys wanted it. That simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 09:04 PM
KKG515
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
And in my opinion, two Very stupid guys.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:36 PM
vepr762

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
That is a very high condition example of a not that common rifle.

Overpriced, yes, but someone wanted to fill a space in their collection. It wasn't about "investment".
Old 03-22-2017, 10:11 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKG515 View Post
And in my opinion, two Very stupid guys.
The winner had the money and won the gun. Not your money or mine. Complaining after is just sour grapes. If you wanted it put up or shut up. jmo
Old 03-23-2017, 02:34 AM
JTod

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Looking more closely at the GB rifle it is probably nicer than mine, certainly has more original finish on the receiver.

I've seen plenty of auctions where two guys get in a "measuring contest" and you could make an argument that the winner was really the loser...

But there were five bidders on this rifle at $800 and up. Which leads me to believe that they were paying for scarcity and condition which seems like an indicator of market value.

Either way, I'm sure the selling pawnshop was pleasantly surprised - they probably had $100 in it!

Incidentally, this is the post from 2009 where vepr762 gave the forum a heads up on the rifle I bought:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...043&highlight=

Thank you again sir! If you ever find yourself in central Ohio the steak is on me!

Last edited by JTod; 03-23-2017 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:52 PM
vepr762

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTod View Post
Looking more closely at the GB rifle it is probably nicer than mine, certainly has more original finish on the receiver.

I've seen plenty of auctions where two guys get in a "measuring contest" and you could make an argument that the winner was really the loser...

But there were five bidders on this rifle at $800 and up. Which leads me to believe that they were paying for scarcity and condition which seems like an indicator of market value.

Either way, I'm sure the selling pawnshop was pleasantly surprised - they probably had $100 in it!

Incidentally, this is the post from 2009 where vepr762 gave the forum a heads up on the rifle I bought:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...043&highlight=

Thank you again sir! If you ever find yourself in central Ohio the steak is on me!
I gave up posting great deals on the board. It doesn't appear there's been that much interest since the "black rifle" and "plastic pistol" craze started.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:51 PM
JTod

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Another nice 29 brought a pretty good number - $855

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/643731094
Old 05-20-2017, 11:38 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vepr762 View Post
I gave up posting great deals on the board. It doesn't appear there's been that much interest since the "black rifle" and "plastic pistol" craze started.
Yes.........I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Another older gentleman and I had a discussion just yesterday about what is in vogue with the younger generation where firearms are concerned.

I passed up a chance on a very nice Model 29 a couple of years ago.....I'm kinda regretting it now. But you (or should I say "I"?) can't own them all. Oh well, as a fellow RFCer says on occasion....they're just things.

But as is sometimes said, things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. As long as it's their money, I guess I'm all right with it.