Removing a tight barrel the easy way (big pics) - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Rusty Trigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
NRB the freezer works.......

I ask if reversing and putting the barrel in the freezer and the receiver in the oven and assemble the slightly oversize Volquartsen Barrel in the Ruger Receiver would help. I was making some changes on a build and decided to just go new barrel, new receiver. Both arrived and the barrel would not even begin to start into the new receiver so I put the barrel (as suggested by NRB) in the freezer overnight then after some 24 hrs (+) I put the the new receiver in the oven and set it for 170* after it warmed I got the barrel out of the freezer and the receiver out of the oven and they pushed about way together by hand. I had a 12oz plastic mallet on hand and gave it one (1) tap and the barrel seated up against the receiver and would have with less than what I used and believe me it was a minor "tap" and Va La, they are together..... I just love learning this stuff here and getting ideas. Thanks NRB........ the reverse DOES work too....
Old 12-12-2008, 06:30 PM
violentliver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to violentliver Send a message via Yahoo to violentliver
wow very cool ideas!iplan on getting a heavy bull barrel and stock combo and putting them on my stock 10/22 sometime in the near future.its good to know about little tricks if i have any problems gettin the new barrel in
Old 12-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Rusty Trigger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
tight barrels

The tips and tricks in this post actually work. I built mine to remove a tight barrel that I was dreading to even try but if pushed right out, NO PROBLEM.... All this stuff is very helpful in you got one stuck or a Volquartsen Barrel (they are .025 oversize for a tight fit on purpose). I'm going to build one more soon too. I got a flyer on some Ruger (camo)Stocks today and I think I can't live without one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Rusty Trigger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
`

Most times, just using the 10/22's Bolt will remove a stuck barrel:

With the rifle UNLOADED, and the magazine REMOVED, pull the Bolt to the rear, and then allow it to slam forward; repeat as required until the barrel is loose......! !

`

BigMike

Will you guys are on a roll..... I built the stuck barrel remover "It works great", then I put the barrel in the freezer and the receiver in the oven and they slid right together "with a very minor 12oz plastic mallet tap" then my barrel was slightly off and I needed to turn it about a 1/16th inch, and letting the bolt slam about 4-5 times pushed the barrel back out so I could turn it a little. Dang, I used almost everything you guys posted here..... THANKS.........!

BTW pushing the stuck barrel out and putting the new Volquartsen barrel in a new Ruger receiver were two different projects. The VQ barrel would NOT even begin to start into the NEW, never used Ruger Receiver. That freezer trick and using the bolt to push a barrel out, all this info was useful.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:33 PM
VNBing
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to VNBing
Nice simple tool. I got cut pretty good pulling on a barrel once. That mill cut is sharp
Old 02-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Lo_Key
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

I made my version today with slight changes in materials. Worked like a charm.

OTOH, if I wasn't hanging around here, I wouldn't have bought a second 10/22 with the idea of modifying it. Oh well, this is just fun.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:56 AM
Cast-N-Blast
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just a word on heating recievers and chilling barrels, do at your own risk I cracked a reciever doing that once, mind you it wasnt on a 10/22. I was installing a heavy barrel on an ar7. I do like the way you got the barrel out I will have to build some thing like that for the build I am doing right now. Just waiting on the mail man for my barrel.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:18 PM
sigluvr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks so much for this thread!!!!

After spending around 5 hours last night fighting with my Charger to get the stock barrel off, I finally gave up, and then found this thread...

Brought home the needed materials today, took about 10 minutes to make the "tool" and about 1 minute to push my barrel out... Easy as can be!

Thank you!!!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Jabberwo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unhappy Have to try something else next

Tried this fixture out today. Snapped both pieces of wood I used as the lever! This Wilson barrel in the 10/22T I purchased is in their FOREVER! I don't know who put it in so I don't know how he put it in.

This really sucks because I want to give the barrel to my father-in-law to cut a dovetail but he doesn't have the license required in this state that so he can't be in possession of a "rifle" even when that rifle is nothing more then a steel tube and empty aluminum shell of a receiver!

-= jab
Old 03-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
1. Be sure the grain of your wood pieces were in the right direction
2. Put some penetrating oil on the barrel/receiver and see if it loosens it up
3. Are you sure it is not threaded and screwed in?

4. You have to have a license to be in possession of a rifle in Massachusetts?????
Old 03-29-2009, 01:24 PM
BMP

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Hey, this fixture is a great idea. I might try it if I get one that won't come free with the heat method.

Brad
Old 03-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Jabberwo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
1. Be sure the grain of your wood pieces were in the right direction
2. Put some penetrating oil on the barrel/receiver and see if it loosens it up
3. Are you sure it is not threaded and screwed in?

4. You have to have a license to be in possession of a rifle in Massachusetts?????
1. Ripped 2x4 to 3/4x2 and MDF with no "grain".
2. Sprayed WD40 the night before
3. No, I'm not. I don't know what to look for -- but nothing looks strange or different.
4. Yup. And that empty reciever with the serial number counts as a rifle. Even if the bolt and trigger group are taken out.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Jabber... Try some more penetrating oil first - not WD40. Just for grins, hold the barrel is a padded vice and try to unscrew the receiver by hand.

From the first post:
Quote:
I guess you could substitute 1" square tubing if the wood isn't strong enough.
Or try another stronger piece of wood or just move the C clamp closer to the dowel.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:21 PM
ssullivan777

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
`

Most times, just using the 10/22's Bolt will remove a stuck barrel:

With the rifle UNLOADED, and the magazine REMOVED, pull the Bolt to the rear, and then allow it to slam forward; repeat as required until the barrel is loose......! !

`

BigMike
Worked flawlessly to remove my factory blue sporter from the one i just bought......
Old 04-26-2010, 07:50 PM
1ShotKill

TPC Rating: 
100% (58)
Time to Bump