Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Matt-man
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Removing a tight barrel the easy way (big pics)

Ever had a really tight-fitting barrel that didn't want to come back out of the receiver? I have. This time it's a Volquartsen that I installed with a mallet. I wanted to fix the beat-up finish on the receiver so I needed to separate the barrel from the receiver.

I decided to build a fixture that I could put the barreled action into, and press the barrel out instead of trying to push the receiver off the barrel with a mallet. It's simple, and works pretty well.

You need:
  • two 1x1 pieces of wood, one about 2" long and the other about a foot
  • a short length of 5/8" dowel
  • a flat piece of wood - I used a 1x4, a 2x4 would work too
  • a 1/4" x 2" plank
  • a 5" C-clamp

First thing to do is drill a 1" hole in the 1x4. This is for the barrel. You'll need to elongate the hole so the receiver block can fit through it as well. Position the 1/4" thick piece next to the hole so the receiver "foot" is supported, and fasten it down so it doesn't move. It ends up looking like this:

Here you can see how the barreled action fits, and how the 1/4" thick piece supports the "foot" of the receiver:

Next step is to cut a piece of 5/8" dowel to about 1 1/2". This is the part that contacts the breech and pushes the barrel out. Set it on top of the breech. Make sure it's centered pretty well, otherwise it will catch on the receiver as the barrel pushes out. If you wanted to get fancy you could put a pilot on the dowel to keep it centered on the barrel.

Now you need two pieces of 1x1, a long one and a short one. The long one is the lever of the press, and the short one is the fulcrum. The lengths aren't really critical. Arrange them as shown here:

Now, you can crank down with the C-clamp and as you do, the lever will put pressure on the dowel, which will in turn push the barrel out. Just be careful not to let the barrel hit the floor when it comes out!

In my setup the lever started bending but didn't break. I guess you could substitute 1" square steel tubing if the wood isn't strong enough.

Last edited by Matt-man; 10-01-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:51 PM
rweltman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent. Great idea.

That fixture will save alot of stock barrels from the abuse of removal.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Fan of 22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Matt-man,

This is a great idea. I had a tight factory barrel that I had trouble removing earlier today and was not sure if I should twist it. It moved forward a little so I soaked it in oil and moved it back and forth a little hoping the oil would penetrate, and then let it sit about 20 minutes. When I tried again, it came out without too much tugging. Seems the receiver had some overspray from when it was painted. I think I'll make one of your barel removers soon.

Fan of 22s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2005, 08:21 PM
vector6
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
good idea, this is a "tips and tricks" canidate if i ever read one .
Old 03-10-2005, 07:55 AM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow 10/22 Bolt to Remove Barrels

`

Most times, just using the 10/22's Bolt will remove a stuck barrel:

With the rifle UNLOADED, and the magazine REMOVED, pull the Bolt to the rear, and then allow it to slam forward; repeat as required until the barrel is loose......! !

`

BigMike
Old 03-10-2005, 06:11 PM
batmanacw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am going to try liquid nitrogen next time. My machinist friend tells me that it will practically fall out because of the contraction. I hope my new Pac lite barrel shoots good so I won't have to find out.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Matt-man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike
Most times, just using the 10/22's Bolt will remove a stuck barrel:

With the rifle UNLOADED, and the magazine REMOVED, pull the Bolt to the rear, and then allow it to slam forward; repeat as required until the barrel is loose......! !
Yeah, this is a good thing to try first. This one, however, was not going anywhere, so I had to try something else.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:53 PM
King114

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had resigned myself to believing that my barrel was destined to be permanently mated to my receiver. None of the other tricks I have read have worked yet. This one shows promise. Thanks a lot Matt!
Old 03-11-2005, 07:04 AM
encorebilly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I believe if you used a mallet to put the barrel in,you may be a redn...
Old 03-11-2005, 08:35 PM
texasguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via MSN to texasguy Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy
this should definitely be in the tricks and tips section.

If your gun rack has a gun rack on it, you might be a redne...
Old 03-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Hawk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Matt-Man,

I am currently assembling a Tips and Tricks section for my website. I would be honored if I could use this, giving you FULL credit of course, on my site. Your thoughts?

Hawk
Old 03-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Dr. Mongoose

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I could have REALLY used that info yesterday. Took 30 minutes with a heat gun to remove a factory 20" SS barrel!
Old 03-14-2005, 10:36 AM
gunfun4all

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You might be a redneck if you wear camoflage to a funeral, but that's beside the point.....

That's a great idea for barrel removal!!
I give two thumbs up to ya
Old 03-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Matt-man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys.

Hawk, I have no problems with you using my info. I'll send you a PM to discuss.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Buzz70

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been trolling out here as a non member for a little while. I just had to join up after finding this post. I had to use this technique and it worked like a charm. Two turns of the C clamp and the barrle shot right out. Wonderful idea and thanks so much for sharing.