Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:49 AM
1022t

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To Radius Bolt or Not ? 2 Part Question

I have a stock 1022 with a BX trigger and Kidd guide rod and spring. I have watched the videos and read the post and have a 2 part question.

1) Does the bolt radius make that much difference?

2) Does Kidd radius/chamfer their bolts? It doesn't appear that they do, looking at the photos on their site. It seems that Volquartsen does.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Tony

Last edited by 1022t; 03-02-2017 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Clarification of question #2
Old 03-02-2017, 08:40 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
The aftermarket companies do radius their bolts, at least the ones I've used. It's not as obvious on the aftermarket bolts because they are cnc'd with the radius already on the bolt I believe. And if your bolt is running smoothly then there probably is no need to do anything to it. I've noticed just changing the guide rod can make a big difference on most bolts.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:50 AM
1022t

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
The aftermarket companies do radius their bolts, at least the ones I've used. It's not as obvious on the aftermarket bolts because they are cnc'd with the radius already on the bolt I believe. And if your bolt is running smoothly then there probably is no need to do anything to it. I've noticed just changing the guide rod can make a big difference on most bolts.
Thanks, I did notice a small improvement with the Kidd guide rod and spring. I apologize....it does appear that the Volquartsen bolt does have a radius, I was looking at the Kidd and it doesn't look to be chamfered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2017, 10:14 AM
zingbee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=251031

Here you go. Read it thoroughly.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:40 AM
1022t

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zingbee View Post
Thanks, I have read it, several times. I suppose I will just have to try it for myself to find out.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:38 PM
Rod Blackburn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have done two of my bolts & I am glad that I did the mod.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:52 PM
cleanprone
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yes radius

I've done this mod on several bolts, but now just get a new Kidd bolt which will also have machined finish, good extractor and pinned FP all for 99. Polish inside receiver and spray with dry-lube, then tune the guide rod spring to your ammo- total reliability and feeding with good mags. Easiest cocking after this mod also.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:43 AM
JVStalin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Smile Radius the bolt ?

I've done mine as it makes the gun MUCH easier to cock. Perhaps this is not a good idea if one were to shoot high / hyper speed ammo all the time , but , I did mine because I am shooting standard velocity ammo through a heavily ported barrel suppressor. I also use a buffer pin to reduce the "Clank" at the end of the bolt's travel rearward.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:07 AM
1022t

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys, I am going to go ahead with the radius/chamfer. I have also installed a Kidd bolt buffer and the long range goal is to eventually put in a Kidd bolt and trigger. I am going to try to get this done tonight so that I can try it out tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the advice/comments. Great place to learn and gather ideas.
Tony
Old 03-03-2017, 10:16 AM
armtx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are already going to do the mod, so Im really just adding onto what others have said. I have two KIDD bolts and aside from being artwork, the thought was put into them with the radius and several other DIY mods that 10/22 bolts get. That is why I recommend just buying a bolt from KIDD because it has always been about how much is time worth...KIDD takes the guess work out of that question.

HOWEVER, I understand that a person who likes to tinker or doesnt have $100 of disposable income to spend on a new bolt. Would do the work themselves and get great enjoyment out of the end product.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:43 AM
1022t

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armtx View Post
You are already going to do the mod, so Im really just adding onto what others have said. I have two KIDD bolts and aside from being artwork, the thought was put into them with the radius and several other DIY mods that 10/22 bolts get. That is why I recommend just buying a bolt from KIDD because it has always been about how much is time worth...KIDD takes the guess work out of that question.

HOWEVER, I understand that a person who likes to tinker or doesnt have $100 of disposable income to spend on a new bolt. Would do the work themselves and get great enjoyment out of the end product.
Thanks, I am going to do this mod, but I appreciate your recommendation on the Kidd Bolt. That will be my next purchase and I will go from there.
Tony
Old 03-08-2017, 06:43 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1022t View Post
Thanks, I have read it, several times. I suppose I will just have to try it for myself to find out.
Yep; me, too.
Finally, while it was apart for some other work, I decided "why not?" found a piece of glass for a flat surface, and some 400 grit paper, which I oiled.

Used the TLAR (That looks about right)method, did a very mild radius, nowhere near what the drawing somewhere else on the forum shows. Finished it with 1,000 grit & oil. Polished the rest of the bolt whilst It was waiting for the extended charging handle that one of our advertisers supplies...JWH Custom. Anyhoo, Smooth! The cocking effort is less, and it eats subsonic, Std Vel , MiniMag and Winchester Super-X without a bobble. So, I'm satisfied. YMMV.

Last edited by C.C.; 03-08-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:45 PM
1022t

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C. View Post
Yep; me, too.
Finally, while it was apart for some other work, I decided "why not?" found a piece of glass for a flat surface, and some 400 grit paper, which I oiled.

Used the TLAR (That looks about right)method, did a very mild radius, nowhere near what the drawing somewhere else on the forum shows. Finished it with 1,000 grit & oil. Polished the rest of the bolt whilst It was waiting for the extended charging handle that one of our advertisers supplies...JWH Custom. Anyhoo, Smooth! The cocking effort is less, and it eats subsonic, Std Vel , MiniMag and Winchester Super-X without a bobble. So, I'm satisfied. YMMV.
That is good to hear....I have started on mine but haven't finished it yet. Look forward to the results. Thanks
Old 03-09-2017, 09:01 PM
Ricekila
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best thing I ever did

I cant wait to try it out
Old 03-10-2017, 02:27 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C. View Post
Yep; me, too.

This would be my approach also. I've radiused bolts on some semi-autos that don't have a buffer, or a place to add one. The "Clank" at the end of the bolt's rearward travel is really not a good thing.

I look at the process more as "tuning" the bolt. Without milling, there are ejection failures. Too much milling, there's the dreaded "Clank". Just right, and the bolt cycles beautifully with all types of ammo.

It's better to start with a small radius IMO, and increase slowly until you get the desired result. The radius in the sticky seems maxed out to me, but I guess adding buffers is better than having ejection problems.