Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:01 AM
dustystones
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Martini 15 or MKII

Have been kicking around the idea of I need another rifle. I called Alice at Front Royal and she has no 12/15's left, only 15's. The price on the 15;s I felt was very high. Anyone have feedback for this rifle?
Accuracy & trigger-pull issues are important.

Has anyone here ever bought a MKII barreled action and stocked it to a sporter type rifle? I have a heavy MKII and would like a squirrel rifle just like it ( I don't walk too far so weight is not an issue).

Feedback on Martini 12;s would also be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:18 AM
epoletna

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
hunting rifle from a Mark II

Years ago I built a .22 center fire on a Martini Cadet action. It was a success except for two factors: I put a Lyman Supertarget spot on it, and that was too much scope for carrying around in the forest; and I chambered it for .219 Zipper, which never turned out to be super accurate and which gradually became harder and harder to find new brass for.

Had I gone with something like a Leupold variable and the .218 Bee, I think I would have been better off.

I tell this history only to point out that the Mark II rifle I have now is too much rifle to schlep around the squirrel woods, but if you're thinking of something light and handy, you might consider a cadet instead of the Mark II. And you might consider a small cartridge, like the .218 Bee or .22 Hornet. I like the idea of a Hornet, but think the .223 bullet diameter limits your choices. It is possible -- I don't know -- that people load .224 bullets in their Hornets.

I was happy with the accuracy of my Cadet off the bench, just recognized it was too much rifle in the squirrel woods. I think the Mark II might fall into that same category.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:17 PM
natman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustystones View Post
Has anyone here ever bought a MKII barreled action and stocked it to a sporter type rifle? I have a heavy MKII and would like a squirrel rifle just like it ( I don't walk too far so weight is not an issue).
Teddy Bear Rat built one with his usual exquisite workmanship:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=552122

There are a few other threads on its construction if you search for them.

Weight had better not be an issue, because the MKII action makes a big and heavy rifle. A Cadet action sporter would be more my idea of a squirrel rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2017, 11:21 PM
DoubleD
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Have been kicking around the idea of I need another rifle. I called Alice at Front Royal and she has no 12/15's left, only 15's. The price on the 15;s I felt was very high. Anyone have feedback for this rifle?
Accuracy & trigger-pull issues are important.

Feedback on Martini 12;s would also be appreciated.
12, 15, 1215 same gun inside only different on the out side. Look around you should be able to find a 1215 some where.

If you can find a fixed barrel in 12 that would be okay also. Take Down 12 can have their barrels set up fixed. Take down barrel don't stay tight and accuracy suffers.

I have built a number 17's on 1215 Actions by relining the barrel. I have 17 HM2, 17 HMR and 17HH all on 1215. The 17Hornet got a new barrel, the rimfires, I lined.

If I were to build a gun just for walk around squirrel hunting I would build a 17HM2 on a 1215. I would take a wood rasp to the stocks and thin them down. I would cut the barrel to 18 inches. Very accurate squirrel cartridge at squirrel ranges. Head shot a snap.

You will never carry a heavy gun around even a short ways more than once or twice.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:58 AM
dustystones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I can not find a 12/15, which would you recommend? A 12 or 15? A light target type trigger pull is very important. What about a 6 or 13 if I can find one. Are they good or do they have issues to watch for?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:16 AM
DoubleD
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Inside the guns are all the same, they are only different on the outside.

I myself would pass on the 15. Only because they are ugly. The back of the action is machined as a base for the sight.

I suggest the 1215 only because the are the most common and newest.

Internally these guns are all the same.

If you get an original BSA .310 cadet and chop it up I will never speak to you again.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Bill40718
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Quote:
If I can not find a 12/15, which would you recommend? A 12 or 15? A light target type trigger pull is very important. What about a 6 or 13 if I can find one. Are they good or do they have issues to watch for?
Dusty,

I doubt that you will ever get a light, in the ounces, target type trigger with a 12, 15 or 1215.
A crisp trigger is totally possible but not light. I have two 1215's, one with a trigger by Chesebro, with modified angles on the trigger and sear, and one that appears to have the stock angles on the trigger/sear. Both triggers pull between 1 1/2 and 2 pounds. A small dab of a high moly content grease on the trigger/sear contact helps getting the weight down.

By the way, Mark Chesebro has a 12 for sale on his web site.

Last edited by Bill40718; 01-16-2017 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Add additional info.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:24 PM
aqbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
I have a 1930s vintage BSA Model 12 that Mark Chesebro relined and refurbished and it shoots lights-out! Consequently one of my favorite target rifles. Even though they are a bit on the heavy side, I've found the Model 12 balances very well. And besides, the 15, 1215 & Mk series rifles are butt-ugly... Check with Mark at: http://www.chesebrorifles.com

Last edited by aqbill; 01-16-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:05 PM
dustystones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
which one

So maybe I should be looking for a model 6 or 12 or 13? any feedback please.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:29 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
Inside the guns are all the same, they are only different on the outside.

I myself would pass on the 15. Only because they are ugly. The back of the action is machined as a base for the sight.

I suggest the 1215 only because the are the most common and newest.

Internally these guns are all the same.

If you get an original BSA .310 cadet and chop it up I will never speak to you again.
"However" the .310 Cadet is the basis for so many fine custom rifles. I own one.