Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Shotgunslade

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
77/22 discontinued

This might be old news to you guys but I just found out . Called Ruger they said no longer being made . Davidson has the stainless laminated on gallery of guns on sale .Gettem while you can men .
Old 01-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Couldn't resist having my dealer order me one of these.

Figured it just might be the last chance, as I am still waiting patiently for Ruger to bring back the 96/22.

I searched the forum but didn't find much on the VBZ, owners, please post some pics if you can!
Old 01-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
85% (9)

AFAIK, most stainless "VBZ" rifles feature a brown lamo stock, a somewhat heavier than "standard" barrel sans iron sights, and Ruger's proprietary stainless overcoat metal finish (as used on M-10/22VBZ's & Super Redhawks).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2017, 07:34 PM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks!

Looks good, Pete!

I don't mind the brown laminate but would have preferred the Green Mtn laminate Ruger uses.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:00 PM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like the 22 magnum version is on sale at GOG thru tomorrow.

Others have speculated that the "discontinued" status of the 77/xx series is temporary, but I don't know that I would count on that if I wanted one of these rifles.

Hoping that my VBZ shows up Monday!
Old 01-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Paul Barnard
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How much are the GOG 22 magnums. I can't get their search function to work.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:15 PM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
How much are the GOG 22 magnums. I can't get their search function to work.
Paul, I show them coming in at from $537 to $600 in my locality. Looks like there are a few left!
Old 01-22-2017, 06:26 AM
AveragEd
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteman72 View Post
Others have speculated that the "discontinued" status of the 77/xx series is temporary, but I don't know that I would count on that if I wanted one of these rifles.
I am an outdoor writer and back in August, I tried to buy a 77/22 (22LR, blued/walnut) directly from Ruger. My media relations guy quoted me a price and I mailed him a check but a day or two later, thought about getting an extra magazine for it so I called him to add it to my order and get the cost from him. He called back to advise me that they had no magazines in stock and none were on the production list. He was baffled by that but didn't look into it any further.

Then I received a call from him a week later letting me know that my check was being returned to me as the rifles were no longer being made and Ruger had none of that model left in stock. He didn't know if there would be any future production but did tell me that sales of the 77/xx line had dropped off severely after the American rifle was introduced, possibly making the 77/xx disposable in the eyes of the corporate bean counters.

I wound up buying one online for a little over $200 more than I would have paid Ruger.

Ed
Old 01-22-2017, 09:07 AM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ed, thanks for that post. I reinforces my idea that the 77/xx is unlikely to return any time soon.

Sometimes I worry that Ruger's 77 Hawkeye line will meet the same fate. I was I big fan of the whole "American" line when it first came out, now I'm not so sure.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:10 PM
AveragEd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They have already dropped left-hand versions of the Hawkeye. My wife is a lefty and when I wanted to buy her a first centerfire rifle, I found the pickings quite slim. My retirement job is delivering heavy-duty truck parts all over Pennsylvania for the owner of all the Kenworth dealerships in the state and often spend my lunch break at a gun shop I never visited before.

When I stopped at a shop near Everett last spring, I spotted a left-hand Hawkeye in .223 REM in their new gun rack. It had attractive wood for a Ruger so I bought it for her and put an old Leupold 6.5-20x Vari-X III I had in my safe on it. I've since removed that long lens shade.

It really shoots well for a light-barreled rifle, even with the trigger being a bit heavy (but good for a new shooter) with handloads - the best one puts them in one ragged hole at 100 yards. When I told my media guy about buying it, he told me that LH models were taken out of production in 2014.

Ed
Old 01-22-2017, 08:36 PM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ed, that rifle is a real looker, good to hear it shoots well too!

When I was shopping for a new rifle to take elk hunting, I ended with a Hawkeye in 30-06. Turned out to be a great choice!

Love the 77 action and the classic blue/walnut combo, although I like the synthetic/stainless versions as well. Hope Ruger keeps these in their product line.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:56 PM
old 39

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Ruger American certainly seems to have killed off the 77/22. Anecdotal opinion seems to hold that the accuracy of the two rifle is about the same and the American is much cheaper.

I wonder if the American centre fire line will result in Ruger severely trimming its Model 77 offerings? Perhaps the new generation of rifle buyers are accustomed to synthetic and stainless and the demand for walnut and blued steel just isn't what it used to be.

It may also be that buyers wanting walnut and blued steel have turned to CZ which offers a quality product at quite a bit less than the Ruger 77/22 line.

I had a blued Ruger 77/22 from 1984 to 1988. I sold it because the 4.5 pound trigger compared poorly with my Anschutz, Remington and Brno sporters and I didn't like the wide, square bottom which made carrying it uncomfortable. Now I wish I had it back. I always assumed that I could always buy a 77/22.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:02 PM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I want to like the CZ, but the stock does not fit me. I tried to like the RA, but its just another rehash of typical lesser quality bolt action 22s with a slide safety, and crappy narrow V mount for scopes.
The 77/22s I bought in 89 had issues mostly from the lack of hand fitting, though everything was fixable. I managed to use all the stock parts, and only adding a set screw in the receiver near the trigger for overtravel, and lighter trigger return spring.
Over the years I was a little heavy on the action screws crushing the wood. The torque on the screws caused some bad accuracy because it was twisting the action, pillar bedding fixed that.
The design of the 77/22 is much in line with their center fire rifles, I find it hard to compare it to other 22 rifles.
Ruger made some odd guns like the Mini 14 "The original Hill Billy Assault rifle"
Old 02-19-2017, 11:27 PM
Savagenut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dumb move , Ruger .
Old 02-20-2017, 06:40 AM
DRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagenut View Post