My first try at Super Stock - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Here is another approach to a hold down button, that gives a wider contact area.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...095&highlight=
Old 01-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Tyendor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I've done a few rear buttons with 1/4-20 button socket head cap screws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170108_172438-1[1].jpg (515.0 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 20170108_172046-1[2].jpg (498.1 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by Tyendor; 04-03-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here is Lily Belle.
A hand me down OEM target stock.
Nikon 3x9 EFR, and Leupold rings, from spare parts.
Radius'd OEM bolt, with Kidd extractor, and firing pin.
Kidd threaded receiver pins.
Homemade buffer.
Devcon bedded receiver, and hold down button.
Permatex pad in the channel.
OEM carbine barrel.

For now it has a Brimstone tier 2, borrowed from Old Brown Shoe. I just ordered a Kidd drop in trigger job. It probably wont be here until the middle of next week. The weather looks like I may get to try it the beginning of next week, so I put the borrowed trigger in for now.
Next month it will get a GM Heavy Taper. I haven't made up my mind yet on the 17", or 19". Ether way, I won't put it on until I get to shoot the carbine barrel. Just to see what I can get out of it.

On to the games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2017, 05:59 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks quite sharp.

Quote:
I won't put it on until I get to shoot the carbine barrel. Just to see what I can get out of it.

I think you should keep that barrel until you make the 1/4" club with it.

Since Clem Eastwood bailed on his factory barrel you and me are the only holdouts.

The factory barrels sure do like SK RM... wish I had some.

-------------

Last edited by 86c; 01-13-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:20 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Ill just sit the barrel on the rest by itself, insert rounds into the chamber and hit the rims with a punch and a hammer.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:55 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86c View Post
Looks quite sharp.

I think you should keep that barrel until you make the 1/4" club with it.

Since Clem Eastwood bailed on his factory barrel you and me are the only holdouts.

The factory barrels sure do like SK RM... wish I had some.

-------------
After I run some HV thru it, I have some CCI SV, and Tac 22, that I'll try.
I've seen the targets that you and Clem have posted in your threads. If I can compete with them, I'll get out the SK RM, and give it a try. I have a few bricks of SK RM, but only use it for the games.
Even if I don't get to shoot it for a month or two. I wont put on the GM until I see what I can squeeze out of the carbine. That's part of the fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
Ill just sit the barrel on the rest by itself, insert rounds into the chamber and hit the rims with a punch and a hammer.
Yea with your luck you'll get a qualifier.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:29 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
my luck has gotten a lot better since I started taking between 5 to 10 different lot #s to the range each time and testing before I shoot groups.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:19 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
my luck has gotten a lot better since I started taking between 5 to 10 different lot #s to the range each time and testing before I shoot groups.
There is a saying in racing that goes: "Luck is when skill and preparation meet opportunity!"

I just learned that it was attributed to the 1st century AD Roman philosopher Seneca but I saw it a number of times when applied to racing from Johnny Rutherford to Roger Penske/Mark Donahue. I seen it on a big banner or painted on the walls of a number of race shops.

I think it very well applies to our friend Clem-E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 03-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A few days after my last post on 1/12, my Kidd kit, and GM 19" HT showed up. I got the trigger kit installed, and that was all the farther I got.
I got the flu for a few days, and that on top of an electrolyte problem that I have had for years, made things go bad. After two hospital stays, and over two months time, I think the buzzards quit circling. I am finally back to doing pleasant things.

I finally got to the range yesterday to try the carbine barrel, at 25 yds. I tried some Rem GB's, Federal Auto match, and CCI SV. The best I got was CCI SV, 3, and 4 group averages in the mid .600's. I think the problem was with my rubber support pad. I think due to the fact that I put a carbine barrel in a stock that was free floated for a .920 barrel, that there was too much give. I think an epoxy pad would work better, in that huge gap.

Today I installed the GM HT. Tomorrow I'll get it back together. I may try a Devcon pad, over painters tape, hoping for easier removal if necessary .

Any way the weather is getting better, and I think I'm back on track.
Maybe I can get down to the reason I done this build. The Games.

Last edited by Hawkeye57; 03-26-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:04 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad to hear you are doing much better!!!

I did that epoxy-pad over blue tape a while back and it pried right out with a screw-driver with no problems.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
To be honest I never even thought of doing glass over tape. I should have!!

What I used to do to find the right pressure is use some hard card board, like playing cards, stacked to find the right place/pressure and then use the cards as a dam to put the glass bed pad in. That is how I worked out the spot I use on all my GMHT barrels but one. Turned out the same spot worked with rubber pads

Old 03-28-2017, 12:27 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86c View Post
Glad to hear you are doing much better!!!

I did that epoxy-pad over blue tape a while back and it pried right out with a screw-driver with no problems.
I figured it could be removed easier with tape under it.
I'm glad to here you tried it. Because I done mine a few hours before reading your post.
Hopefully first try will work, and never get removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
To be honest I never even thought of doing glass over tape. I should have!!

What I used to do to find the right pressure is use some hard card board, like playing cards, stacked to find the right place/pressure and then use the cards as a dam to put the glass bed pad in. That is how I worked out the spot I use on all my GMHT barrels but one. Turned out the same spot worked with rubber pads
I put it in your magic spot. Most likely it will be the right spot for me to.

I used to stack layers of aluminum tape, and use lipstick, to find the thickness needed for contact with the barrel. I also tried plumbers putty.
But when I used 86's Permatex. I found that if you use the same take down pressure when making the pad, as you use when shooting, you will get a made to order pad. If you think you want to apply a little more pressure , a layer or two of aluminum tape over the pad will do it.
So the epoxy should work the same. Oozing out, and leaving what's needed.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye57 View Post
I figured it could be removed easier with tape under it.
I'm glad to here you tried it. Because I done mine a few hours before reading your post.
Hopefully first try will work, and never get removed.

I put it in your magic spot. Most likely it will be the right spot for me to.

I used to stack layers of aluminum tape, and use lipstick, to find the thickness needed for contact with the barrel. I also tried plumbers putty.
But when I used 86's Permatex. I found that if you use the same take down pressure when making the pad, as you use when shooting, you will get a made to order pad. If you think you want to apply a little more pressure , a layer or two of aluminum tape over the pad will do it.
So the epoxy should work the same. Oozing out, and leaving what's needed.
Zactly how I do it and how I am going to do my new SuperSport rifle I am in process of building.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:39 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As I said the GM 19" HT is now on. I put in the devcon over painters tape, from 1.5- 3 inch's in front of takedown. I didn't put in a dam, and try for pretty.

I got a chance to shoot it a few days ago. I used Federal Automatch while going thru GM's recommended 100 round shooting and cleaning break in. I thought their break in was a little over board, but I went ahead and done it.
While doing the break in I shot this at 25yds, which I entered in the Cheap Ammo game.

I then cleaned it one more time, and shot 3 sets with SK RM. This is the best out of the 3.
3 group average- .249 , 4 group average .283

Not quite what I was hoping for. So back to the shop.
I left the Devcon in, and went back to Permatex to add a support at the tip. I usually use Johnsons paste on the parchment paper, but the Kiwi was in sight so I used it. The paper wouldn't come of, so its back to Johnsons the neaxt time.

I got back out to try it today. Using both pads, and SK RM. The best that I got was a 3 group .204 and 4 group .280. at 25yds.
I took the Devcon out, and shot it with only the front pad. ( the Decon over tape popped right out, like 86 said. )
I then shot a few more, this was the best, but they were all about the same. I only shot sizers on a few of the targets, it was .216
3 group- .185, 4 group .216

I'll make another Permatex for the tip. One without parchment paper stuck to it, and try some other ammo.

But I'm getting closer to where I want to be.
I have a Weaver V-16 on the way, it should be here the end of next week. I only have one eye, and its 60 years old. With a 3x9 25yds is tough enough, getting out to 50 yds is hard.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:45 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Nice!