My first try at Super Stock - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My first try at Super Stock

About 6 months ago I started looking for something used , to start a build. I was always a day late, or they were way over priced. Two days ago I checked my email, and the local Field & Stream had a 2 day special on 10/22 carbines, for 199. So I picked one up.

My plan was for the stock to be the last part of the build, later this year. But when I unboxed it and shouldered it yesterday, I knew the stock couldn't wait that long. I normally like a 13-3/4 LOP, and the Carbine stock was way to short for me.
I have a spare stock. A factory .920 Target stock. Which is set up for a bedbutton, and bedded up to the mag well. I tried the carbine in the stock, and the receiver fit like a glove. I came up with a home brew bed button, which I'll use. I'll use a dermal to cut out some bedding from the existing button hole. Then add a little to reseat the new button. ( that's when I get that far ).
So far I scotch brited the inside of the receiver, radius the bolt, polished the tool marks of the top of the bolt, and made a buffer from fuel line, and a cut down hitch pin. ( I checked the head spacing on the OEM bolt, and it's OK. ) For now I'll get a Kidd extractor, firing pin, and threaded receiver pins.
Next I'll drill the receiver for a cleaning hole, and a button hole. Then work on the button.
A month or so down the road it will get a heavy taper barrel, and trigger work. The carbine barrel will look strange in the .920 stack. But for now, with some Permatex about the miiddle of the channel , I think I can get it shooting.

Anyway I got started.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:19 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
This should be fun
Old 01-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Pictures so far?

Very glad to see you posting here and can not wait to see your rifle.

Welcome to SuperStock!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 03:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I took the charging handle of , and polished the guide rod. A friend who's a machinest is going to pin the bolt for me.
I got the receiver drilled, and made a trip to the local hardware store. We still have a hardware store, where you can get one screw, or bolt, without buying a package of more than you need. I found my hold down button, for 55 cents. I did a little modifying to it and got it in the receiver.

I got the bedding out of the old button hole, in the stock. When the epoxy sets in the receiver, its ready to bed in the stock.

Yes I am having fun
Old 01-02-2017, 06:55 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I like the plan !!
Old 01-03-2017, 01:16 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
I like the plan !!
Sounds good to me. I have never tried a "Button Hold down" but it has always sounded like a good idea.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:27 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Sounds good to me. I have never tried a "Button Hold down" but it has always sounded like a good idea.
ME TOO.

When I made a diy tang for last one when I was done I swore my next one would be a button.

Have another dumb idea to try out too.

Dual buttons. It occurred to me over the holidays I have the perfect stock to try it out and all I have to do is remove the rear tang from the receiver and install two button head screws to replace the two flat head screws that hold the tang on. A few minutes with a chisel along with a few drops of Devcon and it us Done.

I like em easy.

Side benefit for me is I will get to find out what that barreled action does better/worse/same in a different stock with buttons.

My dumb idea is that two buttons control movement better than a single one in the center.

I was then thinking about not letting anything else touch the receiver and completely bed the barrel channel in rtv and let the buttons be the only contact of stock to receiver. If it don't shoot all I have to do is peel out the rtv and let the receiver sit down on the front tang.

In other words for a starting point I was going to completely suspend the receiver and trigger group but let the dual buttons control it in three directions which would be up/down, rear, and rotational without having the receiver vibrate against would would normally be wood or epoxy bedding underneath and/or sides.

Suspension bridge style. No t/d screw. It is a oem carbine stock so the barrel band plays important role in that scheme.

Will probably bounce like crazy and prove to be a bad idea (the suspension bridge part that is) but then sitting it down the normal way will be easy fix anyway.

Probably not going to make any real difference between the tang and the buttons, but the receiver is already machined for the screws.

Anyway, look forward to seeing yours all done and how it shoots Hawk.

Last edited by 86c; 01-03-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I got one of Gunsmithers buttons, a few months ago, for Old Brown Shoe. It locked it down solid.
I used a sharp 1/4" chisel and made the inlet in the stock.

It doesn't take long to do , and its easy. The hardest part was finding a screw with the right head.
If you notice on my picture, I put a slight taper on the screw, and a few small grooves. To help the epoxy bond.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:09 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hawkeye,

Just so I have it straight...

You are going to epoxy that screw into the receiver?

Why would you do that instead of threading the hole and using a machine thread screw?
Old 01-04-2017, 08:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86c View Post
Hawkeye,

Just so I have it straight...

You are going to epoxy that screw into the receiver?

Why would you do that instead of threading the hole and using a machine thread screw?
When I was looking for a screw. I was looking at head diameter, depth, and shape. The brass wood screw fit my needs. So epoxy was needed.
If I had came across a machine screw. With the same shape, and size head, then I would have threaded the hole.

P S- In the picture the screw is already epoxied in. I also filled the slot with epoxy.

Last edited by Hawkeye57; 01-04-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:40 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool. I am sure it will be just fine.

Just an FYI for the future... the SS BH in hex-drive 5mm thread has a max head o.d. of .4 and is usually .375. On the shelf at ACE. The two FH SS hex drive that sit side by side holding the rear tang on mine I had to trim the diameter a wee bit to fit using the same method you used on yours.

If you need the specs on hardware try boltdepot.com and if ACE doesn't have what you want you know where to get it.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Cool. I am sure it will be just fine.

Just an FYI for the future... the SS BH in hex-drive 5mm thread has a max head o.d. of .4 and is usually .375. On the shelf at ACE. The two FH SS hex drive that sit side by side holding the rear tang on mine I had to trim the diameter a wee bit to fit using the same method you used on yours.

If you need the specs on hardware try boltdepot.com and if ACE doesn't have what you want you know where to get it.
Thanks 86. There's a Ace about 10 miles away. I don't get that way often, but I'll check them when looking next time. I do go there for certain items.

I put Devcon in my old dugout button hole, in the stock, to accept my new button. While doing so I also made my Permatex bed.

Now here is where I let you in that dark place, in the back of my mind, where I do my thinking.

I knew that I wanted to try different placing's of barrel support, for the carbine barrel, in the .920 stock. With the severe taper of the barrel, I knew I would need pads of varying thickness.

I have some .015 Teflon sheet, that I have used for support before, and it worked pretty good.
So to be able to use a .015 thick piece of Teflon, placed wherever it worked best. I wrapped the barrel with 4 layers of aluminum tape before setting in the Permatex. That gave me .012 set back on My Permatex. Allowing .003 pressure from my Teflon pad.

I pulled it apart this morning, and trimmed the Pematex .

I put the barreled action in, and torqued to 20#. A .0105 piece of card stock will slide freely, and a .013 piece of business card wont move.

This is the bedded button hole.

Anyway as you can see, cabin fever is setting in allready
Old 01-07-2017, 02:20 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lookin' good.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:57 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
ME TOO.

When I made a diy tang for last one when I was done I swore my next one would be a button.

Have another dumb idea to try out too.

Dual buttons. It occurred to me over the holidays I have the perfect stock to try it out and all I have to do is remove the rear tang from the receiver and install two button head screws to replace the two flat head screws that hold the tang on. A few minutes with a chisel along with a few drops of Devcon and it us Done.

I like em easy.

Side benefit for me is I will get to find out what that barreled action does better/worse/same in a different stock with buttons.

My dumb idea is that two buttons control movement better than a single one in the center.

I was then thinking about not letting anything else touch the receiver and completely bed the barrel channel in rtv and let the buttons be the only contact of stock to receiver. If it don't shoot all I have to do is peel out the rtv and let the receiver sit down on the front tang.

In other words for a starting point I was going to completely suspend the receiver and trigger group but let the dual buttons control it in three directions which would be up/down, rear, and rotational without having the receiver vibrate against would would normally be wood or epoxy bedding underneath and/or sides.

Suspension bridge style. No t/d screw. It is a oem carbine stock so the barrel band plays important role in that scheme.

Will probably bounce like crazy and prove to be a bad idea (the suspension bridge part that is) but then sitting it down the normal way will be easy fix anyway.

Probably not going to make any real difference between the tang and the buttons, but the receiver is already machined for the screws.

Anyway, look forward to seeing yours all done and how it shoots Hawk.
The oldest "bedding system" for the heavy barreled 10/22s when people first started doing this stuff involved a fully bedded barrel with free floating action and trigger. It worked but you notice it is not common any more. There is a reason for that!

Some of the gunsmiths back actually made a "barrel bedding block" made of aluminum that clamped around the .920 barrel and then the block was bedded to fore arm with floating action and trigger assy.

Again you will note that you rarely see this any more. When people started applying basic target/hunting style bedding schemes they shot just as well as the barrel bedded systems and were easier to do.

While I fully realize what you said was somewhat different it reminded me of those systems and I just thought it was time for a little historical background. If you are around life long enough you see somethings come full circle. Fashion is kind of like that and so are some of these gun related things.

I like the idea of two buttons. I wonder if two 10/28 or 10/32 (normally you should use coarse thread in aluminum but these will not be stressed so the fine thread should work just as well) button head allen machine screws would work as they should be small enough to be put side by each (1/4" might work too but would be close together). Somewhere around here I have a gazillion of #10 and 1/4" button head screws left over from my racing days. Kind of like these:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...rews&FORM=IGRE

Just make very certain like any of these screws you fill the slot, phillips or allen head with something or it could cause a mechanical lock when bedded and make things "interesting" to take apart. A couple years ago a guy got a new laminated stock for his 10/22 and seeing how well mine shot he bought a bedding kit and bedded the rifle. He SHOULD have read the instructions! You know the part about the release agent? Yeah, he did not read that!

Did you know that after a couple of days a couple of gallons of acetone will dissolve a new laminate stock and bedding into so much "goo"? Did you know it will remove any finish on a new 10/22? See you learn this stuff in SuperStock!

He was happy to get his "ready to finish" barreled action back but not THAT happy!

Last edited by Vincent; 01-08-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:32 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes the receiver I refer to is my 50th model and the the two buttons will be just as you see the two screws that hold the rear tang on. Same receiver, same two holes. Difference will be button head instead of existing flat head. Don't want to start going sideways in Hawk's thread with my stuff it was just off the cuff comments centering around button head hold-down. Plus the fact that Hawk likes to tinker with the molded rubber in the barrel channel even more than I do.

Maybe he will get stupid and try it before I do.

5mm coarse is the metric equivalent of 12-24. The head options and lengths as well as material in metric are many. Not so in the 12-24. The major o.d. of the threads as well as the head style and head diameters are why I used 5mm flat head to install the tang. In other words that was the largest, most convenient thread size and head style to use available in the correct length and cheap/easy to get right down the street.

I did trim the diameter of the FHs a wee bit for perfect fit/seating in the tang but we are only talking about .015 or so.

As for the part about suspending the front of the receiver in the air...I think it really is too dumb to work but also too easy not to find out as well.

I don't really expect two buttons to actually 'perform' any better than one but the holes are already drilled and tapped and SO... it will be done.

Someday.

Remember I said I was going to make and install my own rear tang and two years later it actually happened.

Don't hold your breath and I hope we both live long enough to see it done.

Last edited by 86c; 01-08-2017 at 05:34 PM.