Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Available after market 10/22 barrels?

52K views 102 replies 33 participants last post by  RCGuy50 
#1 · (Edited)
Where is the sticky listing for after market 10/22 barrels? Already know about the Kidd, Lilja, VQ, GM, Feddersen, Clark, Shilen, just to name a few that make (or did make) barrels. I am not aware of them all, perhaps some of the members could help with a list, and perhaps up to date prices. Might also help to also list the cleaning procedures from the barrel maker, type of brush or no brush, or solvent recommended. Inquiring minds want to know. :eek: AH

#3 ·
I think it's a great idea, but it is a lot of work, and it seems like you are asking for someone to create this or guide you to it. I am pretty sure this doesn't exist, and 99% of all forum content is user generated, so if you wanted to take a stab at putting together a post to eventually become a sticky, I am sure you would have no problem getting help filling in the missing information. It seems like you already have a good start, and a good idea what you want.

"Build it and they will come"

#7 · (Edited)
Google'd Hart 10/22 barrels and Midway has the 21" stainless bull for $462.99! For cleaning, Hart website says.......

" Can I get my barrel too clean?

Yes, it is possible to get your barrel too clean, or to actually dry out the stainless steel. After brushing your barrel with a brass brush soaked with Hoppe's #9, Shooters Choice, or Butch's Bore Shine & Oil, several times and letting it soak for a few minutes, run a couple of dry patches in your barrel. Shoot a few more rounds, and if there is a considerable amount of cooper or fouling, then you may need to repeat the procedure. The key is, if your rifle is performing well, then you are probably getting it clean enough."

Should I use JB or other abrasive cleaners in my barrel?

You should avoid abrasive cleaners of any kind in your barrel, as if used improperly, it may damage your barrel and reduce the life expectancy of the barrel.

https://www.hartbarrels.com/barrels_a/257.htm - Scroll down to "finished barrels".

#13 · (Edited)
Tactical Solutions 10/22 barrels. Machined from 6061-T6 aluminum, the X-RING barrel has been designed to make your 10/22 rifle lighter and significantly more accurate. The X-Ring barrel fits all Ruger 10/22 receivers and most aftermarket 10/22 style receivers. Accuracy is enhanced by a rifled chromoly steel liner with a polished 11 degree crown. They have an number of barrels to choose from, including the take-down model. The link takes you to several choices:

https://tacticalsol.com/Products.aspx?CAT=13313

#14 ·
I think cleaning methods should apply universally to all barrels, maybe only varying sharply based on steel type (stainless, chrome moly, etc.). Generally, you should clean from the breech (never from the muzzle if you love your barrel) with a nylon brush and a brass jag for patches with a "good" cleaner. Cleaning interval depends on what, how and where you shoot mainly. There's dirty ammo and clean ammo, rapid fire vs. slow precision (slower does not mean cleaner), and outdoor conditions can drastically affect your decision on when/how to clean.

I run a boresnake :eek: through every trip to the range, and after a few hundred rounds (the exact number which I derive using a very complex scientific formula which includes the number of rounds fired, type of ammo, humidity, current prime rate, my mood at the time, and a few trade secrets) I do a more thorough cleaning with brushes and patches and whatnot. YMMV. :D

#15 · (Edited)
#18 · (Edited)
Very good idea rawhp! I don't have Excel, but leave it there for a bit as I gather information about the "known brands" of barrels, and their websites. After I gather the basic information and the websites involved, I'm sure this will come in handy. :t This will be a rather slow process for me, I work 6 days a week and 5 of those are a split shift. I have two children ( both 30 something) and 2 to 3 grandchildren here in school, all living in my home. Yea, everyday is like Christmas. :D :eek: Yep, I'm Paw-Paw, and I run things around here. The washing machine, vacuum, lawn mower, come to mind. haha! Later Gator. ......... AH

#25 ·
Adams & Bennett 10/22 barrels. Not much info here. Most leads read "discontinued", or "out of stock". I've read some of the other threads.. all info there and $10 will get you a good pack of smokes. :) Reviews are very good. If you have one that has been taken care of properly, chances are you have a darn good barrel. If you have any information / facts about these barrels, please feel free to contribute. ........ AH