Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:53 PM
rhill
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have both a 452fs and a 77/22 stainless rsi. The CZ is a little more accurate but the Ruger is no slouch and to me feels better when it is on the shoulder. I shoot the CZ better at the bench, but the way the Ruger handles, I shoot it better hands down when in the field. It feels like an old friend if you know what I mean. Also to me the Ruger feels more solid if that is possible, but that is probably just me imagining things
Old 10-12-2016, 12:56 PM
natebelle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had my 77/22 for many years and it is my favorite rimfire rifle I own and I own many . The walnut and blued steel are classy and it feels great when shouldered . I added a Jard trigger and it made a slight improvement shooting from a rest .

I have 3 CZ's in .22 cal that easily out shoot my Ruger and get a lot of use . You can not beat the CZ's for the price and quality they offer .

My Ruger is a keeper though and has a special place in my collection of rifles .
Old 10-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I have a 77/22, a 452 American, and a 455 American.

With regards to accuracy, my 77/22 outshoots my 455 by a small margin, and seems to tie my 452 - the jury is still out on that one.
Finding the 'favorite' ammo is always a big part of the equation either way - and my 77/22 _loves_ Norma TAC-22 so that part is done.
My suspicion is that the factory stock on the 77/22 is more stable & rides the bags/rest better, which is part of the equation for sure.

The Ruger certainly has the better magazine, although the CZ magazines are tops for the price point of those rifles.

With regards to the shooting experience, they really are quite different rifles. The CZ's are petite (sort of like 90% scale IMO) and my first choice when I will be doing a _lot_ of hiking with a .22LR rifle. The 77/22 is more of a full-sized rifle, so it really does feel better & more solid when shouldered & shooting. The thing I really like about the 77/22 is that it is a very close representation to my 77/357 & 77/44, so is a very good cross-platform trainer for those two centerfire hunting rifles.

Edit: With regards to scopes, the smaller size of the CZ's make them perfect platforms for the lighter 2-7x28's; while the full-size Ruger is proportioned very well for the larger glass: 33mm objectives and/or AO's.

In the near term, since the 77/xx's are being discontinued (temporarily or permanently), they will only get harder to find and/or more expensive.
I'd get the 77/22 now and maybe a CZ later - the 77/22 should always hold its value at the very least & be an easy sell later if it doesn't work out well for you.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 10-12-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2016, 01:19 PM
Lurchermiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL SHOOTER View Post
I have owned both but sold the boat paddle to get a 452 American while they were still available. I'm very happy with my American, recently cleaning a 50 yd target at our club's rimfire benchrest matches.
I have both, a CZ 452 Varmint with Wild Dog Stock bought in 2004 and a Ruger 77/22 All Weather bought in 2006. Both .22 LR and as accurate (very) as each other. Would never sell either. Ruger lighter for hunting though. When I heard they were discontinuing the Boat Paddle stock, I immediately bought a spare which I keep stored away still in its box. Good move as they are unobtainable now. So are Wild Dog stock's too come to that!
Old 10-17-2016, 09:31 PM
ditto1958

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ended up buying a 452 American. Now that the 77/22 is discontinued, I'm very tempted to buy one. They cost twice the price of the CZ, though. I'm very happy with the CZ, and it is extremely accurate. The Rugers are much nicer looking, though, at least in my opinion.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:55 PM
45flattop
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to 45flattop
Buy BOTH

I am fortunate enough to have acquired my blue steel and walnut 77/22 when
the asking retail price was lower than the CZs are currently even from Whitakers.
The first time I shot it off the bench after my gunsmith tweaked the trigger I
could NOT believe how well it shot with almost anything I put through it.
Plus the magazines are so sweet and fool proof. I have one target I keep
that has all 10 rounds of W-W Power Point HV of all things that went into
under a half dime at 50 yards and many high $ standard velocity stuff does
at least that well.

Having said all that, now being some 18 years after I bought the Ruger, I now
have my first CZ452 American that I got NIB from the original owner who had
never shot it so I have a new Leupold 3-9X33 UL AO to mount on it shortly
to head out to our range to see how it does and from all I've read it should
do as well.

Both rifles are handsome I believe and almost clones of one another looks
wise, one from the new world and one from the old. I do admit to loving
blue steel and walnut. I was GOING to buy another Ruger when all of a
sudden the bean counters who run Ruger these days after the Ruger
family got out of the day to day decision making, decided to go el cheapo
and there was no way I was going to pay nearly $1000 for another M77/22,
once the scalpers got going on grossly inflating the value to the uninformed.

BUY BOTH!!!!!!!! I highly doubt you'll regret either purchase if you can find
a 77/22 at anywhere near a reasonable price. One large plus for the Ruger
is that they come with rings from the factory and you don't have to choose
which other brand to get for it or pay significantly for rings that fit the CZ
dovetail or pay even more for a DIP add on rail that then will need Weaver
style rings on top of the other expenses.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:20 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I bought my 77/22 in the 1980s. It is still in like new condition. I take in out every now and then. At current prices, I wouldn't buy another. I think the cost of production is why Ruger is discontinuing it.
With the advent of the internet, folks quickly realize that the CZ is a better value, even though the Ruger has a much better magazine. Most folks with a bolt action rifle aren't looking for a high cap mag.

For the cost of the 77/22 I would buy more like new BRNOs.

Ruger figured out with the Ruger American that most folks are looking for a good, inexpensive firearms.

CZ had to have been really cutting into the 77/22 sales.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:53 AM
Maricopa Smitty
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
For those who have experience with both the 77/22 and CZ .22's, how do they compare?

I have often been tempted to buy a 77/22, as the walnut stocked models are, to my taste, very nice looking rifles. A CZ 452 looks nice, but I think the Ruger looks even better.

Two things have kept me from buying a 77/22. First is price- they cost almost twice what a CZ goes for. Second, while people seem to brag a lot about the accuracy of CZ rifles, I don't recall very often hearing the same about 77/22's. (Personally, I am skeptical of any claims that a quality firearm from Ruger would not be way more accurate than I am).
Here's my take on the comparison: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...t=#post7054033
Old 10-20-2016, 10:46 AM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I bought my 77-22 in the mid-'80s, from a sporting goods store that was going out of business...1/2 price..$160 OTD. A major purchase, what with 4 little kids. Walnut, blue. I still love it! Trigger job, glass bed, and scope, through the years! Originally meant as a high-quality hunting-casual target rifle, and it has served and still does exceptionally well in that capacity.

I owned, briefly, a 452, and it shot slightly better than the Ruger, but was not as reliable and smooth.

My recently-purchased 455 shoots amazingly well, is smoother than the 452, has prettier wood than the 77-22, but, IMNHO, both rifles are extremely "handsome",
The 77 survived my son's "cave crawling" with it and could stand a stock refinish. I still like the 77-22's "looks" equally as well as anything on the market today!

Pity that: 1. Ruger raised the price to nearly $1,000. I don't see that it would be much more expen$ive to manufacture than the CZ, but, what do I know? It would be very competitive at the same price point as CZ. Even with the wood stock, the newer American Rimfire is nowhere as good-looking as the 77-22.
2. Ruger is discontinuing it, not that I would buy one, even used, at today's prices. I saw a used one, excellent condition, at Cabela's last week...$699 + tax!~

I just obtained a passel of bolt parts, and replaced the striker spring, because the old one had developed a rusty color over the years. Hopefully, it will continue to operate properly for another 30 or so years.

For the first several years I had it, I'd use it on rambles to shoot the heads off little sunflowers dancing on the wind, and other targets of opportunity.

I like the Ruger's magazines, and can live with the CZ's 5 rounders. The 10 Round...not so much.

Conclusion: It's been fun and educational,BUT! If I had not found RFC, and had not listened to the Siren Song of match ammo, one-hole accuracy, CZs, etc.,etc.,etc., the 77-22 , me and my KMK514 would have lived happily ever after...

Yeah, right!
Old 10-22-2016, 07:51 PM
ditto1958

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One hole accuracy?

Omg. I'm gonna have to spend hours at the range for weeks, months, even years, trying to achieve that. Think of all the ammo I'm gonna have to buy and shoot.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:08 AM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
One hole accuracy?
Think of all the ammo I'm gonna have to buy and shoot.
Yeah; TERRIBLE, isn't it?
Old 10-24-2016, 06:38 PM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=C.C.;7400809]I bought my 77-22 in the mid-'80s, from a sporting goods store that was going out of business...1/2 price..$160 OTD. A major purchase, what with 4 little kids. Walnut, blue. I still love it! Trigger job, glass bed, and scope, through the years! Originally meant as a high-quality hunting-casual target rifle, and it has served and still does exceptionally well in that capacity.

Wow, that was a good price back then. I bought my 88 walnut/blued 77/22s new, it was just over $300 with a Weaver 4x.
Pretty much the same with me, many obligations making that $300 hard to do back then. The other options I was looking at back then was a used Kimber $700, and the the Browning 52 sporter at $600 new, and other more spendy rifles I could not afford.
Anyway, Uncle Bill broke the bolt handle off my Win 69, and the Ruger has a pretty much unbreakable bolt handle along with much better scope mounts, and very important positive and slick working safety.
I used the rifle on the ranch for several years along with other family members, then packed it along in a heavy equipment service truck for 6yrs to remote logging and mining sites.
The old rifle has taken a bit of a beating, but it still looks good.
The accuracy was good enough shooting mini mags most of the time, however when the ammo dried up, I found the bulk ammo had very bad accuracy. I got on this forum reading every thing I could, then proceeded to tighten up this rifle using the information mostly from here-pillar bedded, chamber shortened to standard Bentz, target crown on the other end. reciever and bolt trued-on and on.
My buddy bought that used Kimber, my 77/22 is now right with it for accuracy. The mods gave new life to my rifle, being much more accurate now, its more fun to shoot, I had to find a scope with fine cross hairs and upped the power to 6x
Old 10-25-2016, 11:38 AM
Hippy

TPC Rating: 
78% (5)
I bought one of the 1st year 77/22- they were ONLY available w/sights then. I had/have a 541 S that was my "Measuring Stick" if it did not come close or better the "S" it did not stay.

I sold the Ruger and purchased a Kliengunter K-22 for the same $$$ on any given day it will shoot with the S.

I keep trying to get into the CZ's BUT when seeing from people in the know that they R a "Crap Shoot" for GREAT accuracy and having owned a unimpressive Bruno #4 it probably won't happen.

I like the interchangeability of the 455 would Luv 2 try one in the 3 calibers

Jim
Old 10-26-2016, 01:03 PM
roentgenranger
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 452, 455, and two 77/22's. I agree with the bulk of what's been said thus far. CZ's out of the box accuracy is a step above the Ruger, although my v-block one shot 3/4" at 50 with bulk before I put the Shilen on it (now it's downright frightening with SK). The one primary advantage with the 77/22 is that it's readily available (not sure for how much longer) in stainless steel. So if you're looking at an all weather rifle, there isn't much cost difference. Most Cerakote/Duracoat jobs run in the neighborhood of $200.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:49 PM
AveragEd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm hoping my experience with a 77/22 is better than some of those posted thus far. I have a passion for attractive firearms of the "classic" style and currently own two Remington 541-Ts, one of each barrel contour. I previously had a 541-S but never took to the plastic forend tip, pistol grip cap and butt plate as well as the impressed "engraving." The 541-T sporter had wood made for it by Remington's Custom Shop with a hand-rubbed oil finish 25 or so years ago.

I always liked the looks of the 77/22 and when I heard that they had been discontinued, I contacted my media relations representative at Ruger to obtain a model 7002, the walnut stocked blued version. But alas, I was too late as they have none left in stock. So after striking out with two local shops, I trolled the online auction sites and found a new one (and that shop's last one) on GunBroker for a total of $665.07. It should be here from the west coast in 10 days or so.

I have no doubt that I will replace the factory trigger, probably with a Timney as I use a lot of them in my Remington 700s. But having said that, I recently purchased a left-hand Ruger 77 Hawkeye in .223 REM for my wife for her first centerfire rifle (at age 69).

LH rifles are becoming harder and harder to find and some manufacturers, like CZ, make them in batches a few times each year. Anyway, her rifle has one of Ruger's LC6 triggers and while non-adjustable and a tad heavy, I found the rifle capable of one-hole 100-yard groups so I left the trigger alone as for a new shooter, a little heavy is better than too light.

As far as the 77/22's stock and its bedding, if the gun's wood is unattractive AND the gun isn't accurate, I'll probably get a laminated stock from Boyd's and have it fitted to the barreled action.

I look forward to a future sharing of our 77/22 ownership experiences.

Ed

Last edited by AveragEd; 11-01-2016 at 10:51 AM.