Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDouglas View Post
I am curious if you ever shoot the USBR at 50 yds and what kind of scores you get? I have only shot at 50 but I may give 25 a try.
I have shot at 50 , and will again , but to me this target is challenging enough at 25 . I wish more folks would give it a try at 25 and post . It would give me a an idea how I'm doing . Kirby
Old 07-15-2016, 04:19 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Usbr @ 25

Even our RFC Matches have a 25 yd USBR match. I used my T/C Classic for a year in the BOX STOCK class and finished second place every month beating a bunch olf bolt actions and losing to only one and it was close. Of course our SuperStocks are not legal in BOX STOCK but they are in other classes.

I happen to think these light weight sporters are more suited to 25 yards than 50 although I do very little shooting at 25 except when shooting a new rifle in the Sawdust 1/4" Club Game (the Granddaddy of all RFC Games).

It did use to crack me up when reading other parts of RFC and people were posting about the changes made to their rifles and then you would see them show up in BOX STOCK I never protested one because the two rifles finishing 1st and 2nd (Danny Creasy and me) WERE BOX STOCK.

Why do I keep using all caps in saying the class is BOX STOCK? Because the much loved and missed Joe Haller our Match Director for many years tried to beat it into everyone's head it was BOX STOCK and he wrote it that way. I think it is called that to this day.

Can you imagine how easy it would be to cheat with a SuperStock rifle with a Que or CPC rechambered barrel that had been lapped and Moly Fusion treated and a KIDD trigger kit or a Brimstone (or in my case one of my own) triggers. Bed it, tune it with barrel supports (tuning with take down torque would be legal). Throw in one of those invisible rear take downs. The thing would be completely legal LOOKING but would be flat cheating!!

I would never suggest one of our guys do this and in fact if I KNEW for a fact someone was cheating would probably have to say something to him or her first and if they continued I would talk to the Match Director. When I was racing I ran two engines that were so badly illegal that very few parts in them were legal and I got torn down every race and in a year they never found a illegal part. Back then cheating was an honored tradition in racing. At the end of that year they passed a rule that if anyone was caught blatantly cheating in a stock class you could be banned for a year That was 1985.

Like I said in NASCAR and USAC (Indy, Sprint Cars, Midgets and Champ Cars) and even in Formula One if you were smart enough to beat the tech guys it was considered an honored tradition right or wrong. These days in organizations like NASCAR the Crew Chief can be banned from a number of races up to LIFE and fined $100,000 or more and the team can lose all their owner points which can be worth millions of dollars. The days of Junior Johnson, Smokey Yunick, Gary Nelson (he was such a good cheater NASCAR hired him to run the rules and tech part of the organization!!) cheating and just winking at them are long gone.

Here at RFC people work so hard to shoot those matches well I would have to say something BUT a good SuperStock sleeper rifle could clean up in that BOX STOCK class and there is no way to tech the rifle. All on Honor System just like our Games and in 10 years of our games we have have only been convinced ONE person was cheating. He was a high school aged kid that just wanted to be one of the "cool guys" and Ricochet was merciless on the kid chasing him away forever!!

Sorry for the off the subject hijack (another fine SuperStock Tradition) but it just struck me how easy it would be to clean up in BOX STOCK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 07-15-2016, 05:08 PM
Markat34715
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello Kirby,
Glad someone else has a similar addiction to mine. I used to have a life before I found that target! Been shooting at 50 yds with a Magnum Research MLR22AT, just another 10-22 clone but with a carbon fiber over stainless core barrel. Best I have done so far is a 230 4x with CCI STD V. Tried several bag sets, bench rests, rifle stocks, optics... Hope it never ends! Switching over to an all Tony Kidd setup with a true bench rest stock next. If I feel I just gotta have an Anschutz the fun will be over and I'll check into a sanitarium somewhere. Good luck shooting! If you can use another link to scoring gauges:http://www.northerngunparts.com/scoringgauges.aspx
Regards
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016, 08:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Update :
Took some the tricks I've learned working and building my 10/22's and accurised my CZ 452 Varmint . Sort of a SuperStock Bolt .
Gave it a try today . Shot a 247-7X using Aguila SV . Before my Rugers were outshooting my CZ , now I think they're about equal. The three points I dropped , we're just out and I've about come to the conclusion , the only thing stopping me from shooting my 250 @ 25 yards is ME ! , the shooter.
I've got to keep trying to where I can put 25 good shots together . Kirby
Old 07-26-2016, 09:23 PM
JDouglas

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
You are so close, I think you will get it soon. I also found my accurized 452 and 10/22 are very well matched. I shot some groups to compare them and neither was a clear winner. Hang in there we are rooting for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2016, 10:37 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDouglas View Post
You are so close, I think you will get it soon. I also found my accurized 452 and 10/22 are very well matched. I shot some groups to compare them and neither was a clear winner. Hang in there we are rooting for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You know we HAVE a SuperStock Bolt Action Forum right?

Old 07-26-2016, 11:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
You know we HAVE a SuperStock Bolt Action Forum right?
I do ! I figured this thread was mostly about my quest for a 250 @ 25 yards , and even though I shot a SuperStock bolt rifle , it was involved in my quest .
That and the fact I used inner tube for a front pad and some aluminum tape for bedding on the CZ just like I did with my Rugers . I think it all ties in Kirby
Old 08-01-2016, 12:33 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby999 View Post
I do ! I figured this thread was mostly about my quest for a 250 @ 25 yards , and even though I shot a SuperStock bolt rifle , it was involved in my quest .
That and the fact I used inner tube for a front pad and some aluminum tape for bedding on the CZ just like I did with my Rugers . I think it all ties in Kirby
Not a problem....I saw the connection. Just having a bit of fun with you. Most forums have these hard, fast rules about what goes and what does not but SuperStock we have always been a bit more loose with those rules.

I like the way you tied them together

Old 08-18-2017, 04:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I'm back at it again .
I wish there was a way to get the argumentative posts delete at the beginning of my thread , since I believe the guy has been banned .
Today I shot one of my Ruger 10/22's @25 yards . Still trying to shoot that 250 .
The Ruger wears a Green Mountain 19" SS HT barrel , Kidd drop in trigger, and a Boyds Hunter stock . Scope is a Barska 6.5-20X50 . Ammo SK+ .
Today's score : 247-8X Kirby

Last edited by kirby999; 08-18-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
It's a shame Photobucket messed up things including all of my pictures . At this time I am dependent on posting directly to RFC and I'm limited to the amount of pictures I can post . So I delete the previous months photos to clear space for new photos . Kirby
Old 08-18-2017, 05:04 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I'm back at it again .
I wish there was a way to get the argumentative posts delete at the beginning of my thread , since I believe the guy has been banned .
Today I shot one of my Ruger 10/22's @25 yards . Still trying to shoot that 250 .
The Ruger wears a Green Mountain 19" SS HT barrel , Kidd drop in trigger, and a Boyds Hunter stock . Scope is a Barska 6.5-20X50 . Ammo SK+ .
Today's score : 247-8X Kirby
Great shooting
I never shot those targets, but have been thinking about getting some, and trying them. I just printed out the 10 bull to get some copies, and try. I have the same barrel but blued, and the same trigger. In a factory target stock. I think they are great shooters, and over looked by many.
Quote:
It's a shame Photobucket messed up things including all of my pictures . At this time I am dependent on posting directly to RFC and I'm limited to the amount of pictures I can post . So I delete the previous months photos to clear space for new photos . Kirby
Try Imgur, I've been using them since I joined. I first tried photo bucket. after a half hour of bs, they wanted me to pay to have my computer cleaned. I went to imgur, and within 10 minutes I had pictures posted.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:39 PM
Tomcat21
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye57 View Post
Great shooting
I never shot those targets, but have been thinking about getting some, and trying them. I just printed out the 10 bull to get some copies, and try. I have the same barrel but blued, and the same trigger. In a factory target stock. I think they are great shooters, and over looked by many.

Try Imgur, I've been using them since I joined. I first tried photo bucket. after a half hour of bs, they wanted me to pay to have my computer cleaned. I went to imgur, and within 10 minutes I had pictures posted.
Sign up for Imgur, I went to Imgur right after Photobucket locked up my account. If I can figure it out, anyone can. I actually think it is easier than PB.......
Old 08-18-2017, 07:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Picture of target shot today. Kirby

Yay ! , I got it . When I get time I'll post a picture of the rifle .

Last edited by kirby999; 08-22-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:48 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dont worry there are lots of 250s in that rifle. they are just hard to find.

At one time there was a thread showing how to score the USBR target. Quick review doesnt locate it now.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:31 AM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That elusive 250

To me, for a sporter class rifle to shoot a 250 is a very fine accomplishment. That target looks very consistent, with your goal sooo close. I have a CZ fs that likes the SK rifle match. The last card with that rifle was a 248/13x, using the little Leupold 3-9x33 efr. At my club, we have a little lady that shoots a Savage with a laminated stock and Vortex Diamondback scope, that is very tough to beat. She and her husband won the rifle at a function of some sort. It looks like it has a zillion rounds through it, they shoot regularly. I wish you luck with your pursuit, I`m doing the same thing.