Quest to shoot a 250 on the GM - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 07-03-2016, 07:52 PM
Vincent's Avatar
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Moderator
Join Date: 
May 2002
Location: 
Middle TN
Posts: 
36,971
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)


Log in to see fewer ads
I am certain I have an official scoring plug for the USBR game (or anyother 22lr target game I guess). Assuming I can find it would you like to have it? In m,y experience having the plug added 2-3 points per sheet as opposed to my more critical eye ball method!

The fact that it ADDED point surprised the heck out of me! I would like to take BigSky1's statement one step further. I shot USBR RFC BOX STOCK Class for a year. I finished second every month with my T/C Classic beaten by Danny Creasy who said he was shooting the most accurate CZ American he had ever shot and he had years of match experience so if I had to lose than losing to a good guy like Danny made slightly easier AND my semi beat ALL the other bolt guns shooting that year including a few CZs and Rem 541 and a few other. The reason I said I would take BS1's statement about learning to shoot a semi I think I learned more about MANY aspects of shooting but mostly reading the conditions which usually meant wind but included mirage that I hate much worse than wind.

When I was 11 or 12 years old I took a 12 week NRA Marksmanship class where we met every Sunday morning on the base rifle range at China Lake Naval Weapons Test Center in the Mojave Desert of CA. Iit was taught by a grumpy but very kind old guy that was a World War ONE Marine Gunnery Sarg and a yearly Camp Perry competitor. I think because of that training in position shooting I out shot all my friends for my whole life......THEN I shot the USBR Green Monster!

It was the USBR that fine tuned what I already knew from over 40 years before but it also taught me new things that I had never had to use when group shooting but should have been doing all along. On my return trips to CA even my friends noticed I was shooting even better than I had before when we would have our 4-7 day camp out and Marathon Golf Ball Shoots that could take up to 750 rounds of ammo a DAY!!

I stopped shooting after one year of USBR only because for me shooting is supposed to be fun and an almost Zen like state when target shooting. As a Competitor it brought out the racer in me that can not enjoy shooting to compete because I have only two settings. Off and Kill. I just could not enjoy shooting for competing.

Anyway if you want the scoring plug let me know and I will do my best to find it. I THINK I know where to start. Like I said it was usually good for a few points per sheet.
__________________
Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-03-2016, 08:09 PM
kirby999's Avatar
kirby999

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Posts: 
3,713
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
I am certain I have an official scoring plug for the USBR game (or anyother 22lr target game I guess). Assuming I can find it would you like to have it? In m,y experience having the plug added 2-3 points per sheet as opposed to my more critical eye ball method!

The fact that it ADDED point surprised the heck out of me! I would like to take BigSky1's statement one step further. I shot USBR RFC BOX STOCK Class for a year. I finished second every month with my T/C Classic beaten by Danny Creasy who said he was shooting the most accurate CZ American he had ever shot and he had years of match experience so if I had to lose than losing to a good guy like Danny made slightly easier AND my semi beat ALL the other bolt guns shooting that year including a few CZs and Rem 541 and a few other. The reason I said I would take BS1's statement about learning to shoot a semi I think I learned more about MANY aspects of shooting but mostly reading the conditions which usually meant wind but included mirage that I hate much worse than wind.

When I was 11 or 12 years old I took a 12 week NRA Marksmanship class where we met every Sunday morning on the base rifle range at China Lake Naval Weapons Test Center in the Mojave Desert of CA. Iit was taught by a grumpy but very kind old guy that was a World War ONE Marine Gunnery Sarg and a yearly Camp Perry competitor. I think because of that training in position shooting I out shot all my friends for my whole life......THEN I shot the USBR Green Monster!

It was the USBR that fine tuned what I already knew from over 40 years before but it also taught me new things that I had never had to use when group shooting but should have been doing all along. On my return trips to CA even my friends noticed I was shooting even better than I had before when we would have our 4-7 day camp out and Marathon Golf Ball Shoots that could take up to 750 rounds of ammo a DAY!!

I stopped shooting after one year of USBR only because for me shooting is supposed to be fun and an almost Zen like state when target shooting. As a Competitor it brought out the racer in me that can not enjoy shooting to compete because I have only two settings. Off and Kill. I just could not enjoy shooting for competing.

Anyway if you want the scoring plug let me know and I will do my best to find it. I THINK I know where to start. Like I said it was usually good for a few points per sheet.
Thanks Vincent for the offer , but I just ordered one two days ago . Found one on Amazon . Should be here Tuesday . Kirby
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Vincent's Avatar
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Moderator
Join Date: 
May 2002
Location: 
Middle TN
Posts: 
36,971
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby999 View Post
Thanks Vincent for the offer , but I just ordered one two days ago . Found one on Amazon . Should be here Tuesday . Kirby
Sorry I was too late.
__________________
Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #19  
Old 07-04-2016, 05:30 PM
kirby999's Avatar
kirby999

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Posts: 
3,713
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Sorry I was too late.
No problem I appreciate the offer . As long as I've been using a unfired bullet as a gauge , I figured it was time to do it right

Spent the day rebuilding my LVT . I'd stolen the receiver and trigger group for a build and had thought about selling the stock and barrel , but instead , today I bought a new carbine to use to rebuild the LVT .
I was surprised the factory trigger wasn't that bad at just a hair over 4# .
When I first bought the LVT I shot a 244 on the GM @ 25 yards , not bad for a factory barrel .
I hope to give it a try in the next couple days . Kirby
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-05-2016, 11:13 AM
kirby999's Avatar
kirby999

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Posts: 
3,713
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I'm glad I didn't sell off my LVT barrel and stock . It's a shooter IMO . I got a chance to take it out this morning .
I wound up shooting three GM cards at 25 yards .
I started off with SK+ and shot a 242-6X and that's with a 4#+ trigger . I'm going to work on the hammer some today and see if I can get it below 3# .
Second card was shot with CCI SV and it shot a disappointing 229-6X .
Just to get some more trigger time with it , I sighted it in with some Federal Auto Match , expecting it to shoot all over the place . I was surprised shot a 234-2X , not bad with bulk ammo .
If I can get the trigger where I want it I may concentrate my efforts on shooting a 250 using this rifle . I think it's capable . Kirby
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-06-2016, 06:32 PM
kirby999's Avatar
kirby999

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Posts: 
3,713
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I shot five cards today , three this morning , and two this afternoon .
This morning produced a 235-2X , a 241-4X , and a 244-9X .
The first two were with the LVT with the 241-4X shot with Center X .
The 244-9x was shot with a rifle build using a Green Mountain 17" blue Heavy Tapererd barrel with SK + .
This afternoon I played around with a 10/22 barreled with a 19" Stainless GM HT . Results a 241-1X and a 246-6X using SK+ .
If nothing else , this has been a learning experience . As I go along , I try to accurised whatever rifle I'm using that day . Changing stocks, scopes , bedding , screw torque .
I've found the lightest hold I can hold while still aiming my shot produces best . I've learned I have to squeeze the trigger exactly the same each time . The longer I take on a shot , the less of a chance it'll go where it's supposed to .
Hopefully get an opertunity to shoot a few more tomorrow . Kirby

Last edited by kirby999; 09-22-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-07-2016, 04:29 PM
kirby999's Avatar
kirby999

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Posts: 
3,713
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Update :
While shooting this morning I spent one third of my shooting time sighting in an iron sighted 10/22 with plastic stock , Tech Sights and a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot . Was able to set them up to coexist .
Once I got it shooting cards , I tried a couple new ammo with the LVT that proved not accurate enough for target use . I shots a 223-1X with Aguila SV , and a 228-1X with a combo Wolf MT , finishing up with Fed AutoMatch . I was surprised the Wolf shot as bad as it did . It's part of a brick I've had for a few years . Dropped 9 points on the top row before switching and finishing off the target , while I waited to change targets .
Then I switched to a rifle with a 19" HT GM SS barrel . Managed a 242-4X with SK+'.
Finally I shot what I feel is my most accurate rifle . A 10/22 with Pro Varmint stock , a GM 17" blue HT barrel . This one also has a JWH bolt and Kidd drop in trigger kit . With only a 4-12X40 Sigtron scope this rifle with SK + shot a 247-5x . My highest recent score . I rechecked my plugged shots when I got home and found my scoring plug had arrived .
I'll keep trying , I think I'm getting closer .
Once I shoot the 250 @ 25 yards , I'll be moving out to 50 . I'll keep shooting the LVT also . If I were to ever shoot a match , it'd be an ABRA match and the LVT could shoot in the factory class . Kirby

Last edited by kirby999; 07-07-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-07-2016, 11:20 PM
midwest swiss's Avatar
midwest swiss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2005
Location: 
minnesota
Posts: 
5,262
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot in the USBR match's here on RFC for 5 solid years @ 25 & 50 Yards when it was quite popular.
And that was year around here in MN.



I learned a lot about target shooting with a .22 LR and even @ 25 yards it takes good ammo, wind flags,
smooth trigger & you don't have too have a 1 lb hair trigger, solid bench discipline and of course an accurate rifle.
I have like 7 or 8 .22 rifles and they all got a crack @ the green monster.
2-CZ's, 3-Russian built rifles, 2-10/22's and only my Ultimate 10/22 & my Russian built CM-2 Cadet would shoot a 250
on a regular bases from month too month @ 25 yards.
Sounds like fun & the green monster is a very tuff target way harder then group shooting.
It's too bad the match's petered out here on RFC...

Keep at it, the more you shoot the green monster the better you will shoot down the road....

Midwest Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 07-07-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-08-2016, 05:25 PM
kirby999's Avatar
kirby999

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Posts: 
3,713
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Went out this morning . Took the LVT and a CZ Bolt . Can't start shooting at my local range until 9am . By then the sun is on the uncovered 25 yard bench .
I shot the LVT first with SK+ , this is out of my latest case purchase . I've had it almost a year and have only shot a brick so far . I've been finishing off the old case of which I have one brick left .
The newer SK+ shoots pretty good . I shot a 247-4X with the new scoring gauge saving me on one I'd already called -1 .
It was starting to get hot and humid , I put the LVT away and tried the CZ with some Wolf MT that didn't want to shoot in the Rugers . Well , it didn't want to shoot in the CZ either . I've had this for a few years . Bought 4 bricks at a gun show $50 each . I'll use it for barrel seasoning if I don't find something that likes it .
Packed up and went home . At 2:00 pm today , the heat index was 103 . It's been a hot summer already . Kirby
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-13-2016, 05:23 PM
kirby999's Avatar
kirby999

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Posts: 
3,713
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Update : I've been shooting , but haven't shot a better score than the 247-5X until today .
I shot a Ruger 10/22 with a Green Mountain 16.5" SS HT barrel , Qued bolt , Kidd trigger kit , in a Bell & Carlson Anschutz stock . I seem to be having better luck with the heavy tapered barrels free floated over the bull barrels .
I started off shooting back to back 245's with SK+ and decided to try a card with Center X .
I dropped a point on my second shot . took a few minutes , shook it off , and proceeded . I was doing great , taking my time , trying not to get in too big a hurry . I shoot a row , load 5 rounds with a shell in the chamber . Shooting a semiauto it doesn't take long to squeeze off five shots .
On the secon row a guy drives up and starts setting up three benches over . I was hoping he wasn't going to break out an AR . Haha , worse . He opens a gun case on his tailgate and pulls out a Barrett 50 cal. As he continued to set up , I hurriedly shot the rest of the card . Surprisingly well, until the last bull where I guess I choked . Dropped another point .
Wound up with a 248-9X , my best so far . I feel some of the 10's would have plugged as X's , but some folks count them that way , some don't .
Anyways , I'm getting there, one point at a time .
I hung around after putting my stuff away and watched the guy shoot the .50cal. 4-5 times . Wow ! What a muzzle blast ! Kirby
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-13-2016, 06:13 PM
Hacker

Join Date: 
Mar 2008
Location: 
Kentucky
Posts: 
600
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Great shooting Kirby, hope I can get close to that with my LVT in a couple weeks at a local competition.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-13-2016, 06:48 PM
kirby999's Avatar
kirby999

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Posts: 
3,713
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
Great shooting Kirby, hope I can get close to that with my LVT in a couple weeks at a local competition.
Thanks , this is at 25 yards .just wanted make that clear . Sometimes folks just catch the most recent post and don't get the whole story .
Still a Tough target , at 25 IMO .
I've gotten to where most of the time , I know whether it's me or the ammo . Center X is expensive but it is a step above SK+ , SK+ is a big step over CCI SV . The Center X buys me 3-4 points over SK+ . SK+ is as much as 10 points over CCI SV . Would like to try some Midas . Kirby
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-14-2016, 06:10 PM
kirby999's Avatar
kirby999

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Posts: 
3,713
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Today , I pulled the action out of the Bell & Carlson stock and put it in a DSP stock I've opened up some to allow a tight fit of a heavy tapered Green Mountain barrel . Set it back up as a sporter .
Using SK+ I shot a 246-8X and a 247-3X . Kirby


Last edited by kirby999; 07-14-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-14-2016, 08:34 PM
Vincent's Avatar
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Moderator
Join Date: 
May 2002
Location: 
Middle TN
Posts: 
36,971
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Those barrels in those stocks are almost magic to me. I had two and one looked just like that one and the other was blue barrel and both were from the first run Green Mountain made and for some reason I think that first run had many extremely good barrels.

To give you an idea of how other people thought of it I traded it straight up for Sig P220 SAO with a 22lr top end!!

Very nice looking rifles aren't they? Kind of miss it as they were known here as the "Twins" for a number of years. When SuperStock was young I bought the RFC Only sale blue for $75 and Stainless for $86. The blue one was the most accurate SuperStock here at that moment and I did not know if I just got lucky or they were that good. I went a little nuts spending money I should not have to build the one like yours in less than 2 weeks and to this day I can not tell you which was more accurate.

The one like yours still holds the smallest group average in the 100 Yard MOA Game in SuperStock.

Looks like yours is upholding a long SuperStock tradition of very accurate DSP/Green Mountain tradition of accuracy!!
__________________
Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-14-2016, 11:03 PM
JDouglas

Join Date: 
Jan 2011
Posts: 
1,936
TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
I am curious if you ever shoot the USBR at 50 yds and what kind of scores you get? I have only shot at 50 but I may give 25 a try.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x